Interesting old (oct 2020) Mumsnet forum, mainly about Mark Bryan

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Interesting old (oct 2020) Mumsnet forum, mainly about Mark Bryan

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:58 amAh, optimism, the triumph of hope over experience, but since I only want to date women they have a certain monopoly which will end when you prise my tights out of my cold dead fingers.
Bitter, you better believe it, I was bloody well stood-up last night.
Yeah, the damn old fool was optimistic for that one, should've known better.
That's crap news for sure, Steve, and my heart goes out to you over it. Getting stood up is no fun whatsoever. Anything we can do other than offer condolences?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:13 pm I'm posting this as a member, not as a Moderator:
jamie001 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:01 pmMark Bryan is the SH1T! He looks great in his skirts and heels and is clearly going for the feminine look. Kudos to Mark! We should all support him and try to follow his lead regarding skirts and heels!
jamie001 - for the umpteenth time, STOP WITH THE FEMININE CRAP! This is Skirt Cafe' where MEN
want to include a skirted garment into their daily wardrobe. WE ARE NOT TRYING TO LOOK FEMININE
but to be comfortable, and accepted, for our clothing choices.

If you want to be a female impersonator, that's your choice, but, 95%(+/-) of the members of the Cafe'
don't want to do this. With each of your posts, you seem to push this 'agenda' onto the rest of us here.

When will you 'give it a rest' :?:

Note-Mark wears skirts in a very professional way, never impersonating a woman.
That is his style, which he is very good at. :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Al, I am sorry and do not mean to be offensive, it is just how I think and see my reality. I am not impersonating a woman, I am just a feminine male and proud of it just like you are proud of being yourself. As you said, I will try to give it a rest and be more respectful of other perspectives.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:19 amAl, I am sorry and do not mean to be offensive, it is just how I think and see my reality.
I am not impersonating a woman, I am just a feminine male and proud of it just like you are proud
of being yourself. As you said, I will try to give it a rest and be more respectful of other perspectives.
THANK YOU :!:

Everyone here will appreciate that stance :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:12 am Anything we can do other than offer condolences?
Thanks Carl
I'm a big boy, I'll get over it.
Do you think King Mark could use his undoubted influence to teach her the error of her ways?
If any member can report and verify a successful development in this area, Al can make an application to have him elevated to Sainthood.
As I said, all the influencers in the whole world would not appear to have made one iota of difference to this.
Womankind in general are not attracted to men in skirts.
That will change only when and if, women decide, not a moment before.
In the here and now, the best I have is to man up and decide which female type style I shall commandeer today.
I'd call it Stevie's Revenge, Al, I'd hate to have you worry about me going all girly.
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:13 pm ...WE ARE NOT TRYING TO LOOK FEMININE
There are many different reasons why men might want to wear a skirt and, for some men, looking feminine is one of them.  That doesn't say anything about the rest. This forum is about men wearing skirts - not about enforcing reasons why they might or might not want to.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:26 am
crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:12 am Anything we can do other than offer condolences?
Thanks Carl
I'm a big boy, I'll get over it.
Do you think King Mark could use his undoubted influence to teach her the error of her ways?
If any member can report and verify a successful development in this area, Al can make an application to have him elevated to Sainthood.
As I said, all the influencers in the whole world would not appear to have made one iota of difference to this.
Womankind in general are not attracted to men in skirts.
That will change only when and if, women decide, not a moment before.
In the here and now, the best I have is to man up and decide which female type style I shall commandeer today.
I'd call it Stevie's Revenge, Al, I'd hate to have you worry about me going all girly.
Steve.
I'm assuming (which is never safe) that contributors here have studied human behaviour which has lead to the current state of affairs. Eg
1. Men in general want lots of sex with lots of women.
2. Women in general want lots of sex with lots of men.
3. Men would happily spread their seed far and wide.
4. Women cannot separate themselves from their offspring. So out of need will be a tad more careful and will try and get the pick of the bunch.

I think a man in a skirt does not currently present a safe bet because of what MIS are associated with. There is however some legroom and it is not all bad. MIS need to focus their efforts here.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

Not wanting to tell the mods how to do their job but shouldn't some of this thread be moved into a topic about members' love lives?? ;-)
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:00 pm To TSH and Barleymower: There's only a tiny difference between dying cold, alone, and dejected to merely dying cold and alone. I'm converging again on the latter, as I'm likely flying a solo flight for the rest of my life. This'll end with "flight into terrain" at some point; whether it's controlled or uncontrolled is open to conjecture. Perhaps another lady will be able to get my attention, perhaps not. Time alone will tell, but given experience I'm very, very far from confident.
I'd say that tiny difference is pretty significant. I do hope you find a woman that is at least content with your style choices, though. I wish I had more to write about concerning this, as I've never been in a relationship myself, nor do I care to be in one.
pelmut wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:54 am
Uncle Al wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:13 pm ...WE ARE NOT TRYING TO LOOK FEMININE
There are many different reasons why men might want to wear a skirt and, for some men, looking feminine is one of them. That doesn't say anything about the rest.
Nothing wrong with looking, or even being feminine. Almost every skirt I own is such: they show a lot of leg, are typically tiered/ruffled, and tailored for a small frame, which I somewhat have. Jaime has persisted in telling us that the only way forward for MiS is femininity, when "femininity" is one of the biggest reasons why MiS still hasn't made a noticeable dent in men's fashion. People don't like men being feminine. A skirt symbolizes femininity to a lot of simple-minded, ignorant people, so looking feminine is going to be risky as society isn't used to seeing a men acting the polar opposite of what he "should" be.
This forum is about men wearing skirts - not about enforcing reasons why they might or might not want to.
Which is why Al told Jamie to knock it off, because most forum members just want to see skirts in the men's section, not look like women.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MrSoapsud wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:56 pm[... S]houldn't some of this thread be moved into a topic about members' love lives?? ;-)
The problem here is that we're dealing with just about a universal problem in "western society" -- and it applies to pretty much everybody equally; thus, one cannot escape it. And, honestly, things look pretty darned bleak.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I believe that one of the issues in western society is that men it is an unwritten rule that men are not supposed to be pretty. That means drab colors for men, absolutely no floral patterns, and the only pretty thing that a man is supposed to like is a women. The only exception to the rule that I am aware of is the Hawaiian Shirt with its beautiful floral patterns.

On the other hand, women are praised when they take on a more masculine look and can run the full gamut from super feminine and frilly to a lumberjack look as long as they are still presenting one aspect of femininity such as long hair, makeup, or high heels. For example, I have seen many women wearing a suit and men's tie for a formal event along with high heels to insert a splash of femininity. This look is fully accepted. As males, we need to get to the point where we can do the same and wear the whole gamut of fashion items.

The problem is that western society is still holding men to standards of masculinity from the that cowboy days and from the 1950's. We need to change this! Women can incorporate items from the men's section into their presentation and men should be able to incorporate items from the women's section. Personally, I don't like the idea of men's skirts sold in the men's section because they will only be offered in drab male colors with no interesting and pretty patterns.

We need to strive for fashion freedom that will make it acceptable to combine items from the men's section, women's section, or all women's clothing if we like. We need to have the exact same fashion freedom that women currently have.

Anyways that is just my opinion and everyone here may not share the same opinion.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:21 pm I believe that one of the issues in western society is that men it is an unwritten rule that men are not supposed to be pretty. That means drab colors for men, absolutely no floral patterns, and the only pretty thing that a man is supposed to like is a women. The only exception to the rule that I am aware of is the Hawaiian Shirt with its beautiful floral patterns.

On the other hand, women are praised when they take on a more masculine look and can run the full gamut from super feminine and frilly to a lumberjack look as long as they are still presenting one aspect of femininity such as long hair, makeup, or high heels. For example, I have seen many women wearing a suit and men's tie for a formal event along with high heels to insert a splash of femininity. This look is fully accepted. As males, we need to get to the point where we can do the same and wear the whole gamut of fashion items.

The problem is that western society is still holding men to standards of masculinity from the that cowboy days and from the 1950's. We need to change this! Women can incorporate items from the men's section into their presentation and men should be able to incorporate items from the women's section. Personally, I don't like the idea of men's skirts sold in the men's section because they will only be offered in drab male colors with no interesting and pretty patterns.

We need to strive for fashion freedom that will make it acceptable to combine items from the men's section, women's section, or all women's clothing if we like. We need to have the exact same fashion freedom that women currently have.

Anyways that is just my opinion and everyone here may not share the same opinion.

Quite right Jamie, bang on.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

TSH wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:36 pm
This forum is about men wearing skirts - not about enforcing reasons why they might or might not want to.
Which is why Al told Jamie to knock it off, because most forum members just want to see skirts in the men's section, not look like women.
Just because there are more members who wear skirts for one reason rather than another, that does not justify imposing restrictions on the minority. Most men don't want to wear skirts at all, but that doesn't justify preventing all men from wearing skirts.  
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:36 pm
jamie001 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:21 pm We need to have the exact same fashion freedom that women currently have.
Quite right Jamie, bang on.
Yes. I have been thinking (and occasionally saying) this for decades.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

pelmut wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:26 pm
TSH wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:36 pm
Just because there are more members who wear skirts for one reason rather than another, that does not justify imposing restrictions on the minority. Most men don't want to wear skirts at all, but that doesn't justify preventing all men from wearing skirts.  
It's why Skirtcafé exist. To leave a door open for those who want to wear them with no derision. This is not a contested view, here.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

What's so unprofessional about pumps? Stereotyping a stillto heel? Isn't that the same as stereotyping male skirt wearers being feminine? I have alot of women that wear the same style pumps as I do here at work.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/