dances in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

dances in skirts

Post by timemeddler »

I know it's not considered unusual for men to wear skirts at contra dances, and if you count kilts there's the scottish highland and country dances. According to some people who have been square dancing longer than I have kilts aren't that unusual there either. It got me wondering since men's skirts are common outside western culture, what other dance forms it would be considered acceptable mens dance outfits? I can only guess they have dance forms in places like india, africa, and the south pacific somewhere where it's also common. Anyone know of any more?
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: dances in skirts

Post by Freedomforall »

pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

timemeddler wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:06 am I know it's not considered unusual for men to wear skirts at contra dances, and if you count kilts there's the scottish highland and country dances. According to some people who have been square dancing longer than I have kilts aren't that unusual there either.
Nowadays kilts and skirts can be worn in almost any kind of folk dance in the UK, not just in contras. They flow nicely and look far better than trousers -- they also help you to dance better because you dance as though they are part of you.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Pelmut,
While I have danced in a "Kilt ", hired, on several occasions, I have never danced in a real skirt.
I have a feeling that a guy appearing in a skirt at a Scots ceildh would not be well received.
In a Kilt, however, he'd be most welcome regardless of race, creed or colour. Actually more so for non Scots.
The Scottish Country Dance Society has just announced a policy of inclusion, equality and acceptance of diversity.
Step forward for a highly conservative body, brave one may say.
The folks who put it to the test at grass roots will need the courage of lions.
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:47 am Hi Pelmut,
[...]
I have a feeling that a guy appearing in a skirt at a Scots ceildh would not be well received.
It might be seen as an attempt to parody the Scots unless there were other indications to show that this was something different.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

pelmut wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:27 pm It might be seen as an attempt to parody the Scots unless there were other indications to show that this was something different.
Scots do have a sense of humour, they can even laugh at themselves and yes, that could work.
A spot of high jinks maybe forgiven, but this is different.
If I did attend such a gathering in a skirt or dress, there would be no intentional humour.
Problem is I'd only know the reaction at the point of no return.
Balance of probability and self-preservation indicates a negative.
Steve
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I've only once had an awkward moment through wearing a kilt -- and that was because of not going to a dance.  I was on my way into the main evening dance at a folk festival, wearing a kilt, when the festival director intercepted me and asked if I would operate the P.A. system for the evening concert as there had been a mix-up and there was nobody booked to do it.  There wasn't time to change so I just went as I was.

The main act for the evening was a comedy trio whom I had never seen before; unknown to me the 'fool' of the group got part of his effect by wearing a kilt and getting into awkward situations.  When they saw my kilt, they were very obviously expecting trouble, as it looked as though I might be trying to upstage them or I might have been Scottish and found their kilt 'business' offensive.

As the evening wore on and neither of their fears proved to be true, they became more settled and eventually we became friends and have worked together on other occasions since then.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

pelmut wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:18 pm As the evening wore on and neither of their fears proved to be true, they became more settled and eventually we became friends and have worked together on other occasions since then.
Very nice story and with a happy ending as a bonus.
There are many Scots entertainers who have lampooned the Kilt down the years and lived to tell the tale.
The offended, could just as likely be non-Scots, descendants of immigrants in far off lands.
Billy Connolly was not well received in parts of Australia, they didn't appreciate his brand of Scottish humour.
The belligerent individual FreedomforAll met in Pensecola, is a likely example of what I have in mind too.
Steve.
PS I am going to wait patiently for my invite to the ball, all I need is a charming princess.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

pelmut wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:27 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:47 am I have a feeling that a guy appearing in a skirt at a Scots ceildh would not be well received.
It might be seen as an attempt to parody the Scots unless there were other indications to show that this was something different.
I was at a Scottish dance (in England, but a proper social dance not a casual ceilidh) where one guy turned up in trousers. He obviously felt a bit out of place among all the kilts, and after the break at half time he was back in what was obviously a borrowed tartan skirt, just below the knee. No one turned a hair. He was obviously making an effort, which was appreciated.

I always went to Scottish dance classes in a kilt, even though I was often the only one. I can't dance in trousers: it doesn't feel right.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:41 pm I can't dance in trousers: it doesn't feel right.
This I get MB, kilt or skirt, once you have experienced that flow, nothing else is the same.
One of my wishes as a kid was to wear a skater skirt in the truest sense, on the ice.
Alas, it was never to be.
Steve.
Kiltieman

Post by Kiltieman »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:53 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:41 pm I can't dance in trousers: it doesn't feel right.
This I get MB, kilt or skirt, once you have experienced that flow, nothing else is the same.
One of my wishes as a kid was to wear a skater skirt in the truest sense, on the ice.
Alas, it was never to be.
Steve.
Hi. Ive worn kilts since age 7 and did Highland dancing while at school and also country dancing in more recent years. Since I retired from work Ive worn a kilt and appropriate jacket and accessories instead of trousers or suits.
While Ive never actually seen a man in a skirt at any of our dances locally here I get the impression from chatting that many people would accept it as a sign of the times that men and women should be free to wear what clothes they choose to provided they are in good taste and appropriate to the occassion. Ive touched on what we are talking about by on a few nights wearing my plain tweed charcoal grey kilt with a shirt and tie and though it stimulated a discussion in our own group about was it a real kilt or not it was all in good part. I like the way a kilt swings and the freedom it gives when dancing but a skirt may give the same feel for a man who chooses to wear one. I think the highland dancing as a boy and into my teens made me immune to kilts swinging up and swirling out and we were taught to be oblivious to the fact that our pants underneath were on show to the world and to concentrate on dance first and to think later. Girls adopted the same attitude.