DA MAN Magazine: Skirts For Men: Yay Or Nay?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

DA MAN Magazine: Skirts For Men: Yay Or Nay?

Post by Coder »

https://daman.co.id/skirts-for-men-yay-or-nay/

Perhaps one of the shortest "articles" ever written on the subject. I know I'm reaching here for something, anything to link to - but news has been awfully quiet on this front as of late.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: DA MAN Magazine: Skirts For Men: Yay Or Nay?

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:49 am https://daman.co.id/skirts-for-men-yay-or-nay/

Perhaps one of the shortest "articles" ever written on the subject. I know I'm reaching here for something, anything to link to - but news has been awfully quiet on this front as of late.
That is short article but does show its still out there.
I hope I'm not invading the thread but I have found this article.
https://medium.com/@jordpalm/my-journey ... 823e42e52e
I didn't want to start a thread with something from 2022 so I'll drop it in here as a interesting read.
I started reading it and thought 🤔 this chap is a bit more into just skirts. I was not wrong. But what the hell. Is my conditioning rearing its ugly head?
Last edited by Barleymower on Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

It's a good solid question, binary, black and white, yes or no.
Around here, we kind of know the answer.
In the big bad real world, not so simple though.
Stuff the glass half full and warm fluffy rosy glow, on the balance of probability, nay, nay and thrice nay!
If a school system can fire a teacher for not wishing to be as addressed as Sir/Mam or whatever, there is little hope for any fashion freedom.
Society and only society will provide the answer, not those of us who are asking the question.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Of course the answer is "Yay" (Or more correctly, "Yea", though "Yay" shows some exuberance for skirts).
Barleymower wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:45 am That is short article but does show its still out there.
I hope I'm not invading the thread but I have found this article.
https://medium.com/@jordpalm/my-journey ... 823e42e52e
I didn't want to start a thread with something from 2022 so I'll drop it in here as a interesting read.
I started reading it and thought 🤔 this chap is a bit more into just skirts. I was not wrong. But what the hell. Is my conditioning rearing its ugly head?
By all means - no harm. That being said, I've posted links to older articles before as their own thread. Best to do that as the thread can take off on its own merit. But, that being said, the article I linked to was so short as to be laughable so in this case it probably doesn't matter. Not sure we can wrench out much more unless we start critiquing some of the pictured articles of clothing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Wondering if the original article that Coder referenced is an example of AI journalism?

The Medium article was interesting. It linked to another article (7 reasons why more men should wear skirts) that I was tempted to check out. Unfortunately you have to sign up / be a member to get the content. Probably just clickbait anyhow, so I'll probably keep away :-)
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:49 am
It's my opinion that news has been quiet on this front because it's not news any more. It's pretty much a dead horse at this point.
The only thing left is for men to find skirts they like and wear them like they want to
without regard to who else is doing it or not.
Lyric from a Stevie Wonder song, "You can't start a line if you're afraid to stand alone."
Not that you or any of the participants on the forum are.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Modoc wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:31 am Lyric from a Stevie Wonder song, "You can't start a line if you're afraid to stand alone."
Modoc, if that were only true both here, and in the wider world?
We'd actually be a lot closer to a "YEA", for men in skirts than we are right now.

Steve
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:35 am
Modoc wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:31 am Lyric from a Stevie Wonder song, "You can't start a line if you're afraid to stand alone."
Modoc, if that were only true both here, and in the wider world?
We'd actually be a lot closer to a "YEA", for men in skirts than we are right now.

Steve
Men are the most fearful and gutless creatures that are afraid of standing out from the herd. They fear it more than anything in the world.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 am Men are the most fearful and gutless creatures that are afraid of standing out from the herd.
Partly true Jamie, just not all of us!

Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 amMen are the most fearful and gutless creatures that are afraid of standing out from the herd. They fear it more than anything in the world.
James, this is becoming tiresome. You need to abandon the faulty rad-fem "logic" that posits that men are inferior to women in any way. We need to be equals and team-mates in life if we are to succeed as a species. Just because you're furious about not being born with XX chromosomes does not in any way change the dynamic of the planet nor the species. Please drop it; others have already complained about the rhetoric.

Men do not need to be "pretty" unless they wish it, in which case the wish should be granted and tolerated. It comes down to personal preference -- just the same way as women have been "butching up" for decades.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Butching up? I'm gonna have to remember that one. :lol:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

timemeddler wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:19 am Butching up? I'm gonna have to remember that one. :lol:
I'm 72 years old and that phrase has been around since I was a teenager :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:33 am
jamie001 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 amMen are the most fearful and gutless creatures that are afraid of standing out from the herd. They fear it more than anything in the world.
James, this is becoming tiresome. You need to abandon the faulty rad-fem "logic" that posits that men are inferior to women in any way. We need to be equals and team-mates in life if we are to succeed as a species. Just because you're furious about not being born with XX chromosomes does not in any way change the dynamic of the planet nor the species. Please drop it; others have already complained about the rhetoric.

Men do not need to be "pretty" unless they wish it, in which case the wish should be granted and tolerated. It comes down to personal preference -- just the same way as women have been "butching up" for decades.
Tolerated or accepted?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:52 am
jamie001 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 am Men are the most fearful and gutless creatures that are afraid of standing out from the herd.
Partly true Jamie, just not all of us!

Steve.
Are women any different? Without reading the history books; when women take on male characteristics that is brave and empowering. When men take on what is perceived as female characteristics, it is seen as weak. On that basis women's struggles are seen as fighting a brave fight whereas a similar battle for men is much harder to pin down.
That's why I go out there and be myself, whatever others think that is. I'm not getting into a debate about what a man is, I am a man. I love my wife and my kids. I support them emotionally and financially. I wear what I want.
I support Jamie's right for free speech. I don't agree with him but I would stand up for his right to say it.
In reply to jamie001, not all men are fearful and gutless creatures. World wars are testament to that. Who answers the door in the middle of the night? Who investigates the unusual noise? Who is at the bottom of the trench laying pipes? Always men.
I would welcome the groups view on this subject.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:03 amTolerated or accepted?
I had my lawyer hat on there. The thinking is that tolerance can be legislated; acceptance is entirely internal.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!