If you could eliminate one thing in the world, what would it be?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: If you could eliminate one thing in the world, what would it be?

Post by Uncle Al »

"Prejudice"

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Pointless wishful thinking.
We just have to learn that some things will never change.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:16 pm Pointless wishful thinking.
We just have to learn that some things will never change.
Steve.
I know. I feel the same BUT we can focus on things within society that are not working. They not working because they are wrong. Wrongs can be righted.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:08 pm I know. I feel the same BUT we can focus on things within society that are not working. They not working because they are wrong. Wrongs can be righted.
If you can make changes or affect the change, concentrate on that.
Life is easier when you accept that which you cannot, especially for your mental well being.
Steve.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

lots of good replies but I think religion is the #1
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

e2k2houck wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:28 am lots of good replies but I think religion is the #1
Wow, that is wishful thinking on a grand scale.
Steve
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Promotional advertising.
...not to be confused with product information.

That would get rid of nearly all spam, scams and doorstep callers.  If you want to know about something, the information should be freely and easily available -- but you should have to go to it, it shouldn't be imposed on you.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

e2k2houck wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:28 am lots of good replies but I think religion is the #1
It’s interesting how many people on this site support freedom in so many ways except religion, which is allegedly the root of all evil. If I find time, I’ll make a better rebuttal. But as a starter, if religion is the number one thing to be eliminated , why are so many countries that eliminate religion still so repressive?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

greenboots wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:08 pm
It’s interesting how many people on this site support freedom in so many ways except religion, which is allegedly the root of all evil. If I find time, I’ll make a better rebuttal. But as a starter, if religion is the number one thing to be eliminated , why are so many countries that eliminate religion still so repressive?
You think atheistic countries like Pol Pot's Cambodia and Stalin's USSR were repressive?

So do I.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:25 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:08 pm I know. I feel the same BUT we can focus on things within society that are not working. They not working because they are wrong. Wrongs can be righted.
If you can make changes or affect the change, concentrate on that.
Life is easier when you accept that which you cannot, especially for your mental well being.
Steve.
A lesson I'm still trying to learn, myself.
STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:27 am
Wow, that is wishful thinking on a grand scale.
Steve
It'd undeniably be a net positive, though. And "wishful thinking" is pretty much what this thread's, about, anyway.
greenboots wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:08 pm
It’s interesting how many people on this site support freedom in so many ways except religion, which is allegedly the root of all evil.
Since when has anyone here discourage freedom of religion? Since when? That's a non-sequitur. Bashing religion doesn't automatically lead to telling people to stop worshipping whatever religion they want. Religion is brought up frequently here as a bad thing which needs to die in a pit fire because it STRIPS FREEDOM from other people, and has done so since its inception. It's one of the many push-backs against MiS — by people who want to control other people. It's no secret why many people here hate religion, and want to see it gone. It's just another chain that holds us, as a species, back.
But as a starter, if religion is the number one thing to be eliminated , why are so many countries that eliminate religion still so repressive?
What is this? Many religious countries are repressive, themselves. Religiosity has nothing to do with how free or tyrannical a nation is.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

TSH wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:26 pm What is this? Many religious countries are repressive, themselves. Religiosity has nothing to do with how free or tyrannical a nation is.
Precisely my point. Religiosity has little to do with whether someone is prejudiced against MiS. There are people who use their religion as a reason to judge others and people who use their religion as a motive to help others. Many cafe members belong to some faith community, mostly some flavour of Christianity. Some are perhaps very “religious” but as far as I can recall no member has faced serious animosity and most report either support or indifference as in the rest of society.

None of this is to deny that much harm has at times been done in the name of religion. But to suggest that if we got rid of religion the world would suddenly be a better place just doesn’t hold water.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

greenboots wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:38 pm None of this is to deny that much harm has at times been done in the name of religion. But to suggest that if we got rid of religion the world would suddenly be a better place just doesn’t hold water.
When I replied I referred to pointless "wishful thinking" and in fact that was pointless too.
There is little or absolutely nothing that I can effect outside of my own limited sphere.
I am just about to meet the sea and tell the tide not to flow, the nice young men in white coats will assist.

King Stephen of Blois, Duke of Normandy.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

greenboots wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:38 pm
TSH wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:26 pm What is this? Many religious countries are repressive, themselves. Religiosity has nothing to do with how free or tyrannical a nation is.
Precisely my point. Religiosity has little to do with whether someone is prejudiced against MiS.
Why muddy the waters over such a statement to begin with? It's also a weirdly-worded, vague one. Even the most atheistic countries still have people who are religious. Religion is diminishing, especially in more secular countries, but it isn't "eliminated" in any country. And what makes those more secular countries "repressive", per say?
There are people who use their religion as a reason to judge others and people who use their religion as a motive to help others.
It's far more often the former, and less-so the latter. Shouldn't need a motive to help others, either, other than it's the right thing to do.
Many cafe members belong to some faith community, mostly some flavour of Christianity. Some are perhaps very “religious” but as far as I can recall no member has faced serious animosity and most report either support or indifference as in the rest of society.
That, I picked up on, as some members here are regular church-goers. My MiS example delves deeper than just simple intolerance of fashion choice, because religion tends to influence and reinforce gender roles on to people, motivated by the doctrine they may or may not even read, or have ever read in the first place. This targets people who subverts these roles, and that includes men wearing skirts, because "skirts are for girls/women".
None of this is to deny that much harm has at times been done in the name of religion.
A grave understatement if there ever was one. Not only has so much evil been done in the name of the religion, it has been used as a justification for horrific crimes against other people.
But to suggest that if we got rid of religion the world would suddenly be a better place just doesn’t hold water.
The world surely would be a different place — I think we can both agree on that.
Last edited by TSH on Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I am not religous howver my own experience of religion is a positive one. I have supported all three of my kids through first Holy communion which involved fortnightly lessons and regular weekly church attendance.
We have a decent priest, an irish ex formwork carpenter who found a calling. His dedication and positive influence helped enormously.
Going to to lessons with the kids and regularly attending church made me realise a couple of things. The bible is a good book (quite literally). It is simple enough for children to understand, but under covers there's lies huge complexity for those who choose to study.
I am not a believer but i could see that the bible provides a moral compass provided you don't take it literally. There's also worse things to do than attending church. I did three years of regular services and after resigning myself to the task I found it was a time where I could switch off from everything else. Occasionally I enjoyed the sermons, the hymns and the readings. I especially liked it when Pat took all the children up to the front and talked and listened to them.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Lots of interesting notions, most of which seem to readily run into quagmires of many manners suggesting there are no stand alone changes that will "cure" us; though many of the suggestions have some merit worthy of consideration for approaches toward more harmony.

My personal 'vote' (despite the Quaker stance against 'voting' :? would be inequality as it is often the key element in creating the tensions that drive stress levels to breaking points, frequently resulting in violence --both physical and psychological. Another approach might be to eliminate billionaires; and keep pushing the bracket down until there was a relatively equal distribution of wealth, or at least a minimum standard at the bottom before the top could be raised-- have fun with that one!

Or, how about I toss another 'bomb' -- let's dream big -- get rid of weapons of mass destruction, including guns! Anybody that has one, may be shot on the spot! :bom: