Mrs. Roper Romp

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Mrs. Roper Romp

Post by Coder »

https://www.newportri.com/story/enterta ... 892178007/
What to know about the Newport Roper Romp

The Romp field in Providence was not all female and don't expect it to be so on Sept. 30. Rafi said about a third of the participants are male. “I know I'm on to something when my husband is willing to dress like Mrs. Roper,” she said.
While I was visiting the vile place that is Facebook (I needed to use messenger) - I noticed on a friends profile that she and her partner had attended one and he donned the wig/caftan. Seeing as how there was one in my neck of the woods, this could be a good event to gain a bit more confidence. While the wig makes the whole outfit a joke and not a serious attempt at fashion, if these kinds of events are your thing (none of the event detail appeal to me - so hard pass) then it could give you a chance to try a dress without fear of judgement.

I would say - this feels like a more positive event than that ballgame event (Ohio?) where they dress as women.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mrs. Roper Romp

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Coder,
I'd normally avoid stuff like this like the plague and I would get all self righteous about it being a serious matter and a deadly sin to make fun of it.
Hey ho, I must be mellowing in my old age and now I think what the heck, why not?
OK some lampooning can be downright nasty and abusive but this looks like actual positive non strait laced fun and that cannot be wrong.
I also know that many men find occasions such as this, a safe space to test and experience their fashion choices. Think fancy dress parties and there will be regular male to female characters, cosplay and even some amateur dramatics are others.
I have even seen it mentioned around here in the past, so go for it and carry on a fine old tradition.
Good luck, enjoy, have fun because life and living can be miserable enough.
Steve
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Okay, so I had to google Roper Romp. Interesting phenomenon.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I don’t live far from where this event is being held. Although I have often thought that something like a Pride event or maybe a Halloween party would be a good excuse to go skirted in company, I couldn’t see this event working for me simply because of my less than positive recollection of the George and Mildred tv show from which this event has its roots. I was maybe a little young to appreciate this show when originally aired, but I always felt sorry for George and the way he was treated by his wife. And I don’t recall Mildred’s wardrobe / style being particularly appealing :-)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:45 pm And I don’t recall Mildred’s wardrobe / style being particularly appealing :-)
I'll be totally honest - and this may not come as a shock to anyone - but her style is not very appealing to me. Don't get me wrong - I love 70's patterns and the clothing from that era to some degree, but from what I saw from pictures form this type of event, not something I'd go to unless I was invited.