Skort Question

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skort Question

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:17 pm Fool some of the people some of the time etc.
A while ago I thought about the lack of reaction I sometimes get, and reckoned that at least half of the people who notice I am male don't notice the skirt, and at least half of the people who notice the skirt don't notice that I am male.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:30 amThe debate is turning full circle to its inevitable conclusion. No matter which way you dress it (pun) the skort is more of a skirt than it is a pair of shorts.
My personal take on the "skort" is that -- like most hybrids -- combines the worst of each with none of the advantages of either. Consider, for instance, the amphibious car -- it's a lousy boat and an even worse motor vehicle, but it can do some of both -- at a high price.

With the "skort" you get all the problems of shorts and all of the problems with skirts (especially the ridicule problem for guys) with none of the charms of either. About the only advantage is that the shorts portion is likely colour-coordinated with the skirt portion so would be useful where flashing might be a problem, e.g. in sport.
The reason the skirt not gaining popularity among men is because it is feminine and that undermines men's perceived masculinity.
What does that tell us about what it means to be masculine? How can something so tough be so fragile?
It tells me that men are no longer truly masculine but have been shoved into the 4th-rate parody of machismo, and machismo is largely the antithesis of masculinity.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:17 pm
Camouflage and stealth yes, but it will still be a skirt and it will get seen for what it is.
Fool some of the people some of the time etc.
Steve.
When women began to wear culottes ("divided skirts") they were able to get away with it. A panel hid the divide at the crotch; the silhouette of the garment resembled a skirt. It was a legal fiction that these weren't just trousers for women-the illusion of a skirt made it acceptable to men.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

I do normally buy skirts. I just get most of my skirts at a second hand store, was in looking and found several skorts. The full skirt kind. They had pockets, usable pockets. Very hard to find in skirts.
I am currently learning to put pockets in skirts with seams. Kilts, well you need some kind of bag be it a sporan or a purse.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Right, time to add to the confusion :-)

I was holidaying out on The Cape (Chatham) when I was distracted by a woman next to me smoothing out what looked very much like a garment that was a skirt at the front and shorts at the rear. It was on the shorter side and looked from the rear and side like running shorts (with a small slit down the side). When I was back home I tried to find something similar and came up short (pun intended) on my go-to website (Amazon).

<As an aside> I'm sure I've seen others (either on this thread or elsewhere) describe skorts with a short appearance at the back and a skirt appearance at the front - so I'd assumed that I'd be able to find a match. If anyone could point me in the direction of a link to any examples, I'd appreciate it </As an aside>

After further investigations it now has me wondering whether I actually witnessed the wearing of (what I understand to be somewhat of a fashion must-have this year) - butterfly shorts? Given that, by their very nature, skorts are a bifurcated garment (the underlayer at least) I'm asking myself whether there is any appreciable difference between a skort where the outer layer is a skirt and butterfly shorts where the outer layer is a pair of shorts, albeit "flowy" and having the appearance of looking like a skirt? Would men be any more willing to wear butterfly shorts than skorts? (I doubt it :-) )
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

As an alternative to 'the skort', I've successfully worn a swim-skirt paired with a 'tank-top'.
The swim-skirt has a built-in brief which provides all sorts of modesty ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

FranTastic444 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:44 pm <As an aside> I'm sure I've seen others (either on this thread or elsewhere) describe skorts with a short appearance at the back and a skirt appearance at the front - so I'd assumed that I'd be able to find a match. If anyone could point me in the direction of a link to any examples, I'd appreciate it </As an aside>
I think you saw something like this: https://www.zalando.nl/levis-skort-jean ... 0-k12.html

It's basically a pair of shorts with a flap across the front. They were *very* common around here this summer.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's not just overcoming the taboo of men wearing a piece of cloth around their waist. There's a whole world of problems to consider.
Apostle Gino Jennings explains:
https://youtu.be/NZuNQlXWfpA?feature=shared
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I find it funny that the narrator suggests that the main point of attraction ro his version of Christianity is fear. In reality more and more people are rejecting that message in favor of an approach that revolves around love and acceptance. And to that I say Amen.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin