Stay Calm

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Stay Calm

Post by STEVIE »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/lif ... 987a&ei=17

Lets not get all hot and bothered about this please.
It would simply be better to say that any kid can wear any variable of the "uniform" that they so wish.
I rather like the ABC approach, with the right support it would have worked for me.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Stay Calm

Post by Barleymower »

It's good news Steve that they are having option A or option B. Unless some attitudes change with it won't make any difference. I mean the schools need to encourage kids at the open day by telling them they can choose regardless of their gender identity. They should be able to choose a skirt or trousers purely by what they want to wear. Then once at school there should be sanctions if anyone, girl or boys makes a remark about their attire. That is, boys should not need to declare that they are trans to wear a skirt. Girls don't, so why should boys?
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:07 am boys should not need to declare that they are trans to wear a skirt. Girls don't, so why should boys?
This is precisely the point I have been making for some time. If we say it's great that trans girls can wear skirts like real girls, then we are conceding that skirts are exclusively girls' wear rather than a genuine option for both sexes.

I am also getting pretty tired of head teachers claiming that boys can't wear shorts in warm weather because they could always wear a skirt. I would throw at them the question which uniform supplier currently offers boys' school skirts? After all, you let girls wear trousers, right? And you do so in the knowledge that suppliers offer trousers specifically designed and marketed for girls. So where is the genuine equality?
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I suspect that it’s purely a public relations exercise, in that we won’t learn about what proportion of biological Boys chose the ‘skirted’ uniform option.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I wholely agree with Stu on this. The idea of gender should not be a part of clothing selection. In this scenario if any young males choose the skirted option they will no doubt be marked as female wannabes.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Society as it stands today is not about doing favours for men. The focus is on tearing down the perceived patriarchy.
Nick Fletcher recently advocated a Minster For Men. Mirroring the existing cabinet role for women. In response the likes of The Daily Mail"s Jenni Murray, wants to know what planet he is on.
So my take on the lip service towards gender free uniforms is this: declare yourself trans and you can wear a skirt. If you are thinking of wearing one just because you want too, it can be done as a joke. If it isn't a joke you will face being ostracised, unrelenting bullying and derision.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:53 pm ...If it isn't a joke you will face being ostracised, unrelenting bullying and derision.
...a proportion of which will be driven by envy.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

pelmut wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:45 am
Barleymower wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:53 pm ...If it isn't a joke you will face being ostracised, unrelenting bullying and derision.
...a proportion of which will be driven by envy.
Well I know Pelmut. For many years I was that envious person and badly behaved because of it. If i lived it all again I don't know how I would be. It felt like there were insurmountable obstacles to me expressing myself and also living the life I wanted.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

As I said, stay calm because there is very little that we can do about it.
Governments, local and national will continue to spout all the the right and proper drivel.
The retail industry will stay safe by marketing skirts to girls and women, not boys and men.
Boys will have their skirt protests and return to trousers at the drop of a degree centigrade.
The movement toward fashion freedom for men will keep pace with the fastest snail on record.
I think we can agree that policy and legislation has litte real effect in such cases.
Society wields the real power, be that kids in schools or adults in general society who are really just kids with more years behind them.
With hindsight, "stay calm" is an error, perhaps we should get angry, aggressive and agitated.
Bullies tend to rule the playground and that is true of society too.
Men in skirts have to be seen and in the public's collective face or the bullies win.
If you find that impossible, just stay calm because you're really not helping to change anything at all.
No apologies.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:50 pm With hindsight, "stay calm" is an error, perhaps we should get angry, aggressive and agitated.
Bullies tend to rule the playground and that is true of society too.
Men in skirts have to be seen and in the public's collective face or the bullies win.
If you find that impossible, just stay calm because you're really not helping to change anything at all.
No apologies.
Steve.
Steve I do believe you have hit the nail directly on the head here.
As skirt wearing MEN it is we who have to become the bullies. I don't mean going out and clobbering others on the head and shoulders. But making sure we are not being done so by others. We can make it very plain that we have the right to wear what we want just like the women do. And we will not be told otherwise by fools who have been taught to bully people who think different from them.

Just my thoughts on the subject and I am not sorry at all for them!!
Fred :salut:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I thought I viewed this story and it pictured outfits A, B and C?
Not knowing how the uniform system works for the given district, region, city.
My question would be can you have a mix? (I would want 3 trousers and 2 skirts. If you had to have 5 days worth)
How many sets up uniforms are the student's supposed to have? One outfit for each day? Any extras? How many more?
If a mix is a option one could easily choose to wear skirts or trousers all one week. Just laundering the alternates as needed

Not knowing, it seems like it's set up to be a all or nothing.
And really that just sets it up for everyone to just wear trousers. No boy or girl is going to want to wear skirts every day all day. So again not really a choice for the boys and again the article brings gender identity into the equation.
A boy must Identify as _______ to want to pick the skirt so to speak. Girls pick skirts or trousers, not questioned.
Boy picks skirt, motives are questioned.

If it's all A or B, my gut feeling is in about 5 to 10 years they will eliminate skirts as a uniform option entirely as the popularity of skirts will continue to drop. And why offer something that's not popular. With a gendered uniform policy roughly 50 percent have to wear skirts, so there's a enforced market

In my portion of the world id say women wearing skirts is less than 10 percent of the female population. That's in nice weather, dreaded leggings and yogas season is fast approaching. And seeing a skirt at all will be really rare.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.