Spiders

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Spiders

Post by Stu »

I phoned a former colleague (female) last night for a chat. She wasn't in, but I did have a conversation with her husband, whom I slightly know and who is a professor of zoology. He mentioned that he was waiting a new influx of students and he'd been making some headway with his research, which is on the life cycle of the cellar spider and how the live among humans. Being an ignoramus on such matters, I assumed they spun webs and caught flies and that was their only means of feeding, so as we dust away their webs, they must starve - surely. Apparently not. He had been examining their consumption of fleas and dust mites and he said that spiders in your home are like miniature tigers. They hunt and consume dog fleas like we might dine on meatballs and any home troubled by that or a similar infestation should stick a sign on the door saying "Spiders Welcome" as they are massively helpful. Recognising and removing spiders that could be harmful to humans is important, but he says, but the vast majority are not and we should treat them as valued guests.

Didn't know that.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Spiders

Post by denimini »

No, I didn't know that. I get a lot of spiders in the house, mostly web makers (unfortunately) but they do catch mozzies and flies. I am kind to spiders except for red-backs which are venomous and like to hang around dunny seats.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia