Why heterosexual man are increasingly wearing skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Why heterosexual man are increasingly wearing skirts

Post by crfriend »

tbryant2k12 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:11 pmThe definition of a "real man" for many is George Straight. That perfect jean wearing manly cowboy. I've seen so many Facebook memes that portray him as the ideal male.
The "New Marlboro Man", in other words.

The sooner than idiom is put to death the better for all involved -- including those caught up in it outside their wishes!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:02 pm
tbryant2k12 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:18 pm There are many things that heterosexual men used to wear and do that are now the domain of women.
And the list for men is reaching the bare minimum.
We prove here that skirts are not just the domain of women.

I live in Tiskilwa, a small conservative village. Today was an outdoor worship time for the churches of Tiskilwa. Several of the churches are more conservative than the Mennonite Church I attend. I wore a bright orange skirt and chatted with people from all of them. No special attention or comment about my skirt.

Just ignore the folks who haven't learned yet that skirts are equally for men. Many will learn over the years.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Jim wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:08 am
tbryant2k12 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:18 pm There are many things that heterosexual men used to wear and do that are now the domain of women.
We prove here that skirts are not just the domain of women.

I live in Tiskilwa, a small conservative village. Today was an outdoor worship time for the churches of Tiskilwa. Several of the churches are more conservative than the Mennonite Church I attend. I wore a bright orange skirt and chatted with people from all of them. No special attention or comment about my skirt.

Just ignore the folks who haven't learned yet that skirts are equally for men. Many will learn over the years.
Jim I would like to get to a point where we are not just ignored.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:29 am The "New Marlboro Man", in other words
Next time I talk to you, remind me to tell you the joke we have running at work about "Marlboro woman". It's hilarious, but you actually have to hear the joke, hence just writing about it wouldn't work.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:29 am
tbryant2k12 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:11 pmThe definition of a "real man" for many is George Straight. That perfect jean wearing manly cowboy. I've seen so many Facebook memes that portray him as the ideal male.
The "New Marlboro Man", in other words.

The sooner than idiom is put to death the better for all involved -- including those caught up in it outside their wishes!
Pre clothing alternative styling, I was never a Marlboro man. More of a long haired hippy/new romantic.

Now I'm a aging baldy, Dad with bias towards old PC games, 90s films, building stuff and some nice comfy skirts.

I don't think the marlboro man look was very popular in the UK?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:20 pmPre clothing alternative styling, I was never a Marlboro man. More of a long haired hippy/new romantic.
That's pretty much what I was as well, with a bit more of a 19th Century Romantic flare than the modern stuff. Needless to say, the girls in high school had absolutely no clue about how to deal with me -- and that still persists a bit to this day.
I don't think the marlboro man look was very popular in the UK?
If you managed to escape that cancer, then you're better off for it, I'd say.

Personally, I never understood the allure of being a herd-boy decked out in denim and sitting atop a horse in all sorts of weather. I preferred technology, the finer things in life, and a style that pretty much indicated, "Have toolkit and 'scope. Willing to travel." -- and did just that for a good many years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

After reviewing other non-skirt options that the females seem to have colonized, I have splashed out on a pair of corduroy dungarees!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:33 pm
After reviewing other non-skirt options that the females seem to have colonized, I have splashed out on a pair of corduroy dungarees!
I'm a big fan of dungarees, especially baggy ones.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I am a heterosexual man who wears dresses, and for church, heels and makeup. And guess what? No pushback.

John