Will Self throws his weight behind skirts for men

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Will Self throws his weight behind skirts for men

Post by Barleymower »

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/multic ... on-skirts/

Will was for a while quite a well known author with titles like "How the dead live".

I like the article because unlike the catwalk posers he genuinely likes wearing skirts, albeit sarongs.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Will Self throws his weight behind skirts for men

Post by STEVIE »

Sarongs are like kilts, not technically skirts.
However, nice to see someone point out what kilts really are, a complete con.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Isn't a Sarong a wrap? There are plenty of skirts out that are very much wraps?
What about bonefide kilt producers, are they cons?

I'm generally quite annoyed by the whole situation. I saw a lady today in dungaree shorts - women's wear. Short shorts hardly exist anymore. They exist as hotpants now - women's wear. A girl in flowery shorts - women's wear. A lady in in high waisted trousers which ended mid calf - women's wear. There's a whole range of trousers out there that aren't menswear anymore.

To make life easier, here's a simple rule. If it's bland and and looks rubbish it probably menswear. Everything else - woman's wear.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:33 pm What about bonefide kilt producers, are they cons?
"Highlanders who’d supported the Stuart claim to the throne, were deprived of their traditional plaids and incorporated into the British army, the kilt becoming the very emblem of their servitude – which makes it strange how modern, lowland Scotsmen like to dress up in them for weddings, bar mitzvahs, funerals etc."

It isn't the producers or the garment, it is the total rubbish that is spoken about the "Kilt" being steeped in Scots heritage and tradition, it just isn't.
The reason that the kilt is a perfectly acceptable manskirt is really grounded in the myth which was created by Queen Victoria, Walter Scott and a group of highly astute Scottish businessmen in the mid nineteenth century.
Skirts may not be a babe magnet but The Kilt most assuredly can be and you can thank these folks for that.
Sarongs, likewise are are agender and acceptable male garments but they haven't had the benefit of the hype that the kilt had.
Barleymower wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:33 pm If it's bland and and looks rubbish it probably menswear. Everything else - woman's wear.
Pretty much true, but it is up to men themselves to change that. Not just men in skirts, but retailers have to see demand and profit in alternative menswear or the status quo will remain.
Steve.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:33 pm I'm generally quite annoyed by the whole situation. I saw a lady today in dungaree shorts - women's wear. Short shorts hardly exist anymore. They exist as hotpants now - women's wear.
This is why I buy women's shorts.

I like shorts to be short and have wide legs.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:01 am
Barleymower wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:33 pm What about bonefide kilt producers, are they cons?
"Highlanders who’d supported the Stuart claim to the throne, were deprived of their traditional plaids and incorporated into the British army, the kilt becoming the very emblem of their servitude – which makes it strange how modern, lowland Scotsmen like to dress up in them for weddings, bar mitzvahs, funerals etc."

It isn't the producers or the garment, it is the total rubbish that is spoken about the "Kilt" being steeped in Scots heritage and tradition, it just isn't.
The reason that the kilt is a perfectly acceptable manskirt is really grounded in the myth which was created by Queen Victoria, Walter Scott and a group of highly astute Scottish businessmen in the mid nineteenth century.
Skirts may not be a babe magnet but The Kilt most assuredly can be and you can thank these folks for that.
Sarongs, likewise are are agender and acceptable male garments but they haven't had the benefit of the hype that the kilt had.
Barleymower wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:33 pm If it's bland and and looks rubbish it probably menswear. Everything else - woman's wear.
Pretty much true, but it is up to men themselves to change that. Not just men in skirts, but retailers have to see demand and profit in alternative menswear or the status quo will remain.
Steve.
I like the use of Will"s own words reflected back at me. I stand corrected.

The kilt story demonstrates how a situation can be turn around from servitude to honour. In a way this gives us hope. If the mainstream decided that men in skirts were essential, for example testicular health; then skirt wearing would quickly become widespread.

Will also showed that he is well read in the subject and despite his knowledge, he is fearful to reveal himself as a fan. It must have taken a great deal of courage to write the article. I can imagine Mrs Self had a hand in that!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

GerdG wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:37 am
This is why I buy woman's shorts.
I like shorts to be short and have wide legs.
GG, a perfect example of the current state of play.

Those are truly ill fitting shorts. Men's bodies are often there own worst enemy. A man's waistline can stay reasonably static while his bum and belly grow. Thus he can still squeeze himself into his old shorts and convince himself nothing has changed.
The gay community have embraced shorts and strut their funky stuff. Women are the same in their camel toe hot pants.

Only hetero men must stay bland, sensible and covered up.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

That page shows only about one-third of the article as it appears in the print version, which includes plenty more of the author's trademark polemics. He finishes with a mini-tirade directed at Highlanders on the matter of what not to wear under the kilt: "It's as if an entire culture has never got over the puerile sexual innuendos of the 1970s (and the widespread sexual misconduct they were a lexical figleaf for). Of course they don't wear underpants under them -- because that's the whole point, for a testicled individual, in wearing a skirt in the first place."
He adds that he jokes lamely about his sarongs when visitors come to his house, but admits that really he should have the courage of his own sartorial -- and testicular -- convictions.