The Barbie Movie - misandry of just a bit of fun?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Barbie Movie - misandry of just a bit of fun?

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:20 am So, this is very much a 2-way street even though popular culture absolutely insists that women are always the victims. They. Are. Not.
While abuse of men by women is grossly under-reported, I don't think people are denying it happens. And it remains true that male-on-female abuse is more likely to lead to serious injury, but that's mainly a consequence of biological differences. Unfortunately, psychological abuse is not always criminal.

If you're reading that women are always the victims, perhaps you need to start reading different sources. If only because domestic violence also happens in same-sex relationships.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:50 pmIf you're reading that women are always the victims, perhaps you need to start reading different sources. If only because domestic violence also happens in same-sex relationships.
Anybody with an IQ larger than his shoe-size knows that domestic violence -- be it physical, psychological, or both -- is a 2-way street, and it happens in same-sex relationships as well. What I was commenting on was that the societal view is that women are always the victim and men are always to blame, and that's just plain not the case. All forms of domestic violence are pernicious evil things and should be rightfully punished -- just punish the abuser and not the victim!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:53 pm What I was commenting on was that the societal view is that women are always the victim and men are always to blame, and that's just plain not the case.
My point was more, insofar a "societal view" even exists, I would say that it isn't true that the "societal view" thinks women are always the victim, at least not here. There is certainly a portion of society that exclaims that view very loudly in some parts of social media. But in my experience from the people I meet, regular TV and news programs, books for sale in bookstores, newspapers I see, etc it's a totally fringe position. Of course, I can't comment where you are, only where I am.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Stu wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:26 pm
rode_kater wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:04 pm I'm sure you can find political ideologies in TellyTubbies, Voltron, Winnie the Pooh, He-man, Playschool, Sesame Street, if you look for them.
I've seen some of these - and they absolutely don't talk about "the patriarchy". That whole idea comes straight out of feminist victim theory.

The idea is to smuggle in the indoctrination via a brand name popular with all children and to market it as "fun". But they are still getting the message through.
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine! Have you got anymore riveting anecdotes to keep us on the edge our seats?
I don't think it's the right way to fight fire with fire. We will walk straight into the trap laid out for us. That is we will be accused of misogyny.
There is an inbalance that is being addressed in society and that's fine. Men have, until now had a leading role to play and now the world is built we can take backseat.
The rad-fems are as wrong footed as anyone can be. They want to write men out of the picture, but eventually it's them who will be written out. Until then we are in for a rough ride.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

So, I finally got around to seeing the movie and I enjoyed it. I feel you can experience this movie at two levels: the surface humorous level, and a deeper more pointed level. If you feel uncomfortable seeing stereotypes on display, this movie is not for you. Because they literally took every stereotype you could think of and wove them together with a big dose of humour. The '2001 a Space Odyssey' reference was brilliant. I also wasn't expecting someone to call Barbie fascist.

I think the movie is a decent reflection of the current time. Let's see how well it ages. If there are parts that make you uncomfortable, that's an entry point to analyse why you find it uncomfortable.