Taking a hit for the team?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Taking a hit for the team?

Post by Modoc »

This man is repeating an action taken by others in similar situations. Although he says it's not his preference he sees it as an option and a statement.

https://www.thelocal.se/20130618/48572
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
bikesaurus

Re: Taking a hit for the team?

Post by bikesaurus »

I loved this quote
"My female colleagues would also wear shorts if they were available to us. This dress isn't practical and even women look awful in it, although of course I look the worst," he said.
Sounds like the hospital needs to update its wardrobe.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

It does sound like an opportunity for the staff to unite and get some more practical work wear.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sounds like the old "I can't wear shorts so I'm going to protest with a skirt" trope.

This happens from time to time. The hospital will yield and let him wear shorts, then the dress will be tossed in the donation bin.

It really only reinforces the notion that skirts and dresses are for women only, only being employed by men who want to protest not being allowed to wear shorts.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:44 pm Sounds like the old "I can't wear shorts so I'm going to protest with a skirt" trope.
This happens from time to time. The hospital will yield and let him wear shorts, then the dress will be tossed in the donation bin.
It really only reinforces the notion that skirts and dresses are for women only, only being employed by men who want to protest not being allowed to wear shorts.
Agreed Moon, and frankly it is rather tiresome.
It is bad enough when schoolboys indulge in this silliness but a supposedly adult male hospital worker is in a category all of his own.
Sorry Modoc, this really does nothing to advance the cause of men in skirts.
Steve
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

From the article:
The hospital meanwhile, told the Aftonbladet newspaper that Karlsvärd could wear the dress to his heart's content, but added there was no money in the coffers to update the nurses' wardrobe.

"The hospital doesn't consider this to be gender discrimination," Karlsvärd told The Local.

"Because I can wear whatever I want."
I guess he's going to wear dresses at work for a long time, from what the hospital stated they're not going to change anything in this regard soon.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I have to say that I agree that this is a situation that doesn't do much to advance the issue of men wearing skirts or dresses other than pointing out that there are situations like this where men could but choose not to.
While the article is not specific, it's apparent that the hospital supplies the uniforms. If that's the case, maybe the employees could offer to buy their own shorts if, as according to Karlsvärd, both male and female employees would prefer shorts to dresses. They could work together rather than position themselves in opposition for the sake of gender recognition and validation.
― Anaïs Nin
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

Not exactly a full and free choice which is the Skirtcafe mantra. Comes across as making a point, and rather crassly. I would also support the womens right to wear shorts. Don't know Swedish law but ethically both genders should have that choice.