NYT: How Short Is Too Short for Men’s Pants?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

NYT: How Short Is Too Short for Men’s Pants?

Post by Coder »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/26/styl ... versy.html

https://archive.fo/qackj

Obviously this article is about pants - but it speaks to what men are allowed to wear, and the stupid, pointless hyperventilating people have over giving them even one literal inch of hemming/freedom.

I did like this quote:
Mr. Browne, however, simply advised, “Wear clothes in the way that feel true to you: true to your taste, true to your style, true to what you want people to see about you.” Even if it’s your mankles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: NYT: How Short Is Too Short for Men’s Pants?

Post by denimini »

Crazy stuff. The word mankle caused me a short bout of apoplexy.
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

My goodness thems a lot of rules... guys are going to need a tape measure and a flow chart to determine if the britches he selected will cut it when he enteres the office Monday morning...

Man.... to hell with all of that...

When I get home tonight I wanted to write up a little story regarding my own situation and something similar to the theme of thus thread.

It seems that if you're a man, the manner in which we are allowed ti express ourselves gets smaller and smaller.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:03 pmIt seems that if you're a man, the manner in which we are allowed ti express ourselves gets smaller and smaller.
Don't worry, that's only been going on for a half-century and, like a runaway train, is gaining speed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, that was mildly amusing. Speaking just for myself, I wear a 34 inch inseam which falls just below my ankles, and that's good enough for me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:40 pm
moonshadow wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:03 pmIt seems that if you're a man, the manner in which we are allowed ti express ourselves gets smaller and smaller.
Don't worry, that's only been going on for a half-century and, like a runaway train, is gaining speed.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... n-fix-them

Interesting article on the Guardian website today written by an avowed feminist. Maybe things are looking up
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:38 pmInteresting article on the Guardian website today written by an avowed feminist. Maybe things are looking up.
Sadly, I suspect she's a lone voice howling in a vast wilderness of derision when it comes to men. I'd love to be proved wrong.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I am a fan of Caitlin Moran's writing. This is a plug for a book on this topic which is getting a lot of publicity. I suspect this one will run for a bit before its message vanishes.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

What she wrote in that article - not necessarily about the p word - but how I grew up, perceived myself as a man under the hateful/spiteful eye of feminism for nothing - nothing - I have ever done except how I was born - really rang true. I sometimes take things too literally, so it's a fault on my end, but still I've hated myself for things outside of my control, and partially don't think women are approachable (romantically/dating) due to those fears and self-hate. Thankfully I've had the sense not to fall in with the Tate-like crowd, but still I think any of these ideologies do little to bring everyone closer.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:38 pm https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... n-fix-them

Interesting article on the Guardian website today written by an avowed feminist. Maybe things are looking up
I ran across that article today as well and was similarly impressed. I'm seriously considering getting the book.

The bit that stuck most with me was the comment about how feminists spend a lot of time talking about needing good female role models, but nobody does the same for men. We can probably all agree that Andrew Tate is a terrible role model, but if not him, who then? Trump? Putin? Trying to remember my school years, the only thing I think children talked about where rugby players. If someone asked me for a good male role model in this day and age, I wouldn't have a clue.

And of course:
3) Women have thinktanks and charities and hashtags – they organise the **** out of International Women’s Day, while International Men’s Day still gets less attention than International Steak and a Blowjob Day
It would be funny if it wasn't true.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:03 pm My goodness thems a lot of rules... guys are going to need a tape measure and a flow chart to determine if the britches he selected will cut it when he enteres the office Monday morning...

Man.... to hell with all of that...

When I get home tonight I wanted to write up a little story regarding my own situation and something similar to the theme of thus thread.

It seems that if you're a man, the manner in which we are allowed ti express ourselves gets smaller and smaller.
It's easy all men can be issued a set of clothes with your number on your chest + a spare set. That way you will never mistake what's allowed and everyone will know who you are.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:38 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... n-fix-them

Thanks for posting this. Thoughtful article. Not my choice of language but a good opening of a door so long missed.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I say to hell with the coffin sized space men are allowed to.express.themselves. I break convention by frequently wearing dresses to.church complete with nail varnish, makeup, and 75 mm (3 inch) heels. And I like to sing the bass parts in hymns while adding some notes below the bass staff.
And in hot weather when I go shopping I almost always wear a dress.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JohnH wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:52 pm I say to hell with the coffin sized space men are allowed to.express.themselves. I break convention by frequently wearing dresses to.church complete with nail varnish, makeup, and 75 mm (3 inch) heels. And I like to sing the bass parts in hymns while adding some notes below the bass staff.
And in hot weather when I go shopping I almost always wear a dress.
John
I do my stuff too John, work and play plus all the incidentals of life in a skirt or dress.
I have been told I am, brave and a shining inspiration.
Hell, I have featured in a national newspaper.
It's been a long time and having a blast too but has any one guy ever followed that lead, not one to my knowledge.
crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:25 pm Sadly, I suspect she's a lone voice howling in a vast wilderness of derision when it comes to men. I'd love to be proved wrong.
Even more sadly, I more than concur with Carl on this.
The list of "negatives" related to men just seems to grow and grow with time.
There is a very high level of cancer related deaths in the male population yet the vast bulk of calls to the various help agencies come from women.
Clothes are not life threatening but this is and it is up to men to get out there to take action for men.
Feminism, I have been saying for a long time that there is a lot we can learn from it but chat needs action to bring about change.
I just hope that somehow I am allowed to help that along just a bit.
Steve.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

The interesting thing is I have received almost no negative reactions for wearing dresses. I guess it is because of my feminine appearance. But the thing that is interesting is there is NO reaction when I talk in my deep masculine bass voice.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!