NSS magazine: Who's actually buying men's skirts?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

NSS magazine: Who's actually buying men's skirts?

Post by Coder »

https://www.nssmag.com/en/fashion/32583 ... s-magazine
To specifically analyse the point of view of fashion enthusiasts working in the industry, we put theories on the future of the men's skirt in Italy to the test by asking the Milan-based editorial staff of nss magazine for their opinion. According to the survey, none of the men interviewed has ever bought a skirt, but more than 60% of them would say they are interested in wearing one in the future (61.5%).
This was a (meaningless?) statistic from an editorial staff presumably dedicated to fashion. I would be curious if you polled the general public, what their percentage would be.

Does it matter? Do I care? Less and less, for sure.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: NSS magazine: Who's actually buying men's skirts?

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:46 am https://www.nssmag.com/en/fashion/32583 ... s-magazine
To specifically analyse the point of view of fashion enthusiasts working in the industry, we put theories on the future of the men's skirt in Italy to the test by asking the Milan-based editorial staff of nss magazine for their opinion. According to the survey, none of the men interviewed has ever bought a skirt, but more than 60% of them would say they are interested in wearing one in the future (61.5%).
This was a (meaningless?) statistic from an editorial staff presumably dedicated to fashion. I would be curious if you polled the general public, what their percentage would be.

Does it matter? Do I care? Less and less, for sure.
The only thing I care about that statistic is the difference between those in the fashion industry who would wear a skirt and have bought one. Tells me there is interest but perhaps they are all waiting for someone else to take the plunge first. Guess even in the world of fashion houses that promote dressing boldly, some of the men are still not capable of it.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Thought this was an interesting statistic especially when considering Rome was not built in a day.
According to an analysis run by Tagwalk, almost 65% of the brands at this past fashion week presented at least one menswear look complete with a skirt, a significant difference from the previous year (51%)
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

ScotL wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:52 am Tells me there is interest but perhaps they are all waiting for someone else to take the plunge first.
Definitely. Men know what happens when we stand out from the crowd, or at least seems very likely to happen.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

One of the things that has always puzzled me about the fashion industry is how few of the male designers of dresses actually wear them (as far as we know). Many of them are gay, but it seems that admitting to wearing dresses is a step too far. Many of their events seem to have drag queens hanging around in the background but other than Jean-Paul Gaultier and his little kilts, nary a skirt or dress worn by the designers themselves. How can you devote your life to designing clothes you would not wear?
Last edited by rivegauche on Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:43 am One of the things that has always puzzled me about the fashion industry is how few of the male designers of dresses actually wear them (as far as we know). Many of them are gay, but it seems that admitting to wearing dresses is a step too far. Many of their events seem to have drag queens hanging around in the background but other than Jean-Paul Gaultier and his little kilts, nary a skirt or dress worn by the designers themselves. How can you devote your life to designing clothes you would not wear?
Don’t forget Marc Jacobs and Thom Browne
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

At least the article did not truck out the usual padding of the history of men in skirts and how Harry Styles, Brad Pitt, lil nas x, Robert Pattinson, John Cena are really pushing for it. 🙄 are they? Maybe a dash out for the camera publicity shoot and swiftly back in trousers.
They paint a realistic picture of men liking the idea as long as they are not ones taking the flack.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

It's a Skirt.

It's not a women's or men's Skirt.

It's a Skirt, no gender attached to it.

It's a Skirt the simplest of garments that a person can wear.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:20 pm At least the article did not truck out the usual padding of the history of men in skirts and how Harry Styles, Brad Pitt, lil nas x, Robert Pattinson, John Cena are really pushing for it. 🙄 are they? Maybe a dash out for the camera publicity shoot and swiftly back in trousers.
They paint a realistic picture of men liking the idea as long as they are not ones taking the flack.
A....men!

So tired of the same old same old articles featuring these celebrity guys who do a photo shoot then back in the pants.

I want to see more coverage of average guys that have skirts as part of their casual, "everyday" wardrobe.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

phathack wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:04 pm It's a Skirt.

It's not a women's or men's Skirt.

It's a Skirt, no gender attached to it.

It's a Skirt the simplest of garments that a person can wear.
YES :!:
Short, concise and to the EXACT point :!: :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

BouffantBelle wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:23 am
ScotL wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:52 am Tells me there is interest but perhaps they are all waiting for someone else to take the plunge first.
Definitely. Men know what happens when we stand out from the crowd, or at least seems very likely to happen.
What is it that 1) "seems"to happen; and 2) what is very likely to happen?

Now: Please test these outcomes against the actual experience of men who do wear skirts in public -- you have a fair bunch of us right here in this forum!

My bet on what has actually happened; 1) zilch other than perhaps your armpits were a bit moist, and 2) None of the feared consequences occurred.

Test it, try it against the real rather than imagined experience.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rivegauche wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:43 am
Many of them are gay, but it seems that admitting to wearing dresses is a step too far.
You make great points about how weird it is for designers not to wear what they design. I appreciate those comments. But we need to get away from thinking just cause they’re gay, they’ll be more likely to wear a skirt. Gay guys I know are very much opposed to it from what I can gather. Just my two cents, please take no offense.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

ScotL wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:12 am
Many of them are gay, but it seems that admitting to wearing dresses is a step too far.
You make great points about how weird it is for designers not to wear what they design. I appreciate those comments. But we need to get away from thinking just cause they’re gay, they’ll be more likely to wear a skirt. Gay guys I know are very much opposed to it from what I can gather. Just my two cents, please take no offense.
I didn't say there was a connection between them being gay and wearing skirts. Firstly, my point was that by and large they DON'T wear skirts. The point was they are prepared to admit to being gay but not prepared to admit to wearing dresses or skirts. That society accepts one of these concepts more readily than the other.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:45 am
I didn't say there was a connection between them being gay and wearing skirts. Firstly, my point was that by and large they DON'T wear skirts. The point was they are prepared to admit to being gay but not prepared to admit to wearing dresses or skirts. That society accepts one of these concepts more readily than the other.
Didn’t mean to offend. More was just agreeing with you. Just seems the word “gay” always comes up with the notion of men wearing skirts.

But you make another great point. Seems some people do more easily admit to being gay than others can admit to wearing a skirt.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:45 am
It seems that society accepts being gay, provided that the gay man wears men's clothing and looks like a man while being gay.