The Voice of Fashion: Why Men Don’t Take So Easily to Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

The Voice of Fashion: Why Men Don’t Take So Easily to Skirts

Post by Coder »

https://www.thevoiceoffashion.com/centr ... irts--5534

Over the past 6+ months there's been an uptick in MIS/fashion freedom articles in the Indian press. I'm not sure why - if it's because they publish their content in english and so they show up in search results - perhaps other articles are out there but just in other languages?
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: The Voice of Fashion: Why Men Don’t Take So Easily to Skirts

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:18 pm https://www.thevoiceoffashion.com/centr ... irts--5534

Over the past 6+ months there's been an uptick in MIS/fashion freedom articles in the Indian press. I'm not sure why - if it's because they publish their content in english and so they show up in search results - perhaps other articles are out there but just in other languages?
Population over one billion produces a lot of articles?
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I am rather irritated that every time somebody mentions skirts for men, the trans and LGBT lobbies are brought up as though there is some connection. Every time a man in a skirt is associated with these, men and boys who are not gay or trans will be deterred from trying a skirt.

MIS is, in my view, is a men's rights issue - not a trans rights or gay rights issue.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Stu wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:16 pm I am rather irritated that every time somebody mentions skirts for men, the trans and LGBT lobbies are brought up as though there is some connection. Every time a man in a skirt is associated with these, men and boys who are not gay or trans will be deterred from trying a skirt.

MIS is, in my view, is a men's rights issue - not a trans rights or gay rights issue.
The only way that is going to change is for more men to wear them, normalize them as one more option. The only thing I can think of, is some people here writing opinion pieces for fashion sections of newspapers. Social media posting with the family. Encouraging others to wear skirts. It’s going to take numbers and years.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Stu wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:16 pm I am rather irritated that every time somebody mentions skirts for men, the trans and LGBT lobbies are brought up as though there is some connection. Every time a man in a skirt is associated with these, men and boys who are not gay or trans will be deterred from trying a skirt.
The homosexual men I know wouldn’t be caught dead in a skirt.

I don’t know any trans women but I suspect they wear a skirt because it’s a garment traditionally associated with being female. If they want to wear a skirt that is.

But the problem here is that society really only knows three reasons a man would don a skirt. 1) they must be gay despite the fact clothing choice does not even begin to impact the complicated aspect of sexual orientation. 2) they must be transitioning because society sees this. A man transitions to being a woman first typically by dressing in their clothing prior to hormones/surgery. 3) they must be cross dressers despite the fact the lay public doesn’t understand this term and is unfortunately associated with a negative connotation with men who dress in women’s clothing.

Most don’t know of the fourth that we do here, that some men wear for comfort/fashion.

I believe we need to realize that we’ve had X number of years to get used to this fourth concept whereas the general public has not.

In my opinion, I believe we need to be calm and informative when someone asks us about the why we are wearing a skirt.

I also believe we need to accept that many will not immediately grasp the concept or agree with the concept that some men wear skirts for comfort/fashion. However, if we react negatively, we harden their belief that there is something wrong with a man wearing a skirt. If we agree to disagree and remain civil, the person walks away confused because they expected us to be offended, but weren’t. And maybe, just maybe, that confusion becomes passive acceptance the next time the see a man in a skirt. As in them the next time confronted with MIS thinking “oh yeah, met a guy once prior who told me he wore because they were comfortable.“

Just my two cents. Any inferred slight or criticism was not my intention. I’m just stating my opinion that I believe we will attract more bees with honey than vinegar.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:16 pmI am rather irritated that every time somebody mentions skirts for men, the trans and LGBT lobbies are brought up as though there is some connection. Every time a man in a skirt is associated with these, men and boys who are not gay or trans will be deterred from trying a skirt.
"Irritation" doesn't even come close to the level of fury I tend to feel when that bogus correlation is brought up and perpetuated. The two are most assuredly NOT connected, and reinforcing said bogus connection by the media only hurts the straight population.

So, yes, it really is a Men's Rights issue, and we're the ones getting trampled on.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:18 pm https://www.thevoiceoffashion.com/centr ... irts--5534

Nice article, somewhat meaningless, asking the same old questions. What don't men wear skirts? And then throws in this:
"When you ask a cis man why he won’t adopt feminine modes of dressing for the same wonderful reasons he readily spits at women, he has no answer"

The spitting aside. The reason men are not wearing skirts is the same and opposite reason women wear men's jumpers in the 'morning'.

It is mostly our own perceptions of what they will think. I didn't wear a skirt to my daughters performance but afterwards I knew wearing one was no issue.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

You don't have to be trans to wear skirts, just gender nonconforming.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Coder wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:49 pm

The only way that is going to change is for more men to wear them, normalize them as one more option. The only thing I can think of, is some people here writing opinion pieces for fashion sections of newspapers. Social media posting with the family. Encouraging others to wear skirts. It’s going to take numbers and years.
It will never happen because homophobia is so engrained in men and it is actually almost a religious conviction that is passed down from father to young sons. "The worst that you can be called is a girl". Men and boys who emulate women and girls are gay! That is the root of the problem.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:51 pm
The homosexual men I know wouldn’t be caught dead in a skirt.

I don’t know any trans women but I suspect they wear a skirt because it’s a garment traditionally associated with being female. If they want to wear a skirt that is.

But the problem here is that society really only knows three reasons a man would don a skirt. 1) they must be gay despite the fact clothing choice does not even begin to impact the complicated aspect of sexual orientation. 2) they must be transitioning because society sees this. A man transitions to being a woman first typically by dressing in their clothing prior to hormones/surgery. 3) they must be cross dressers despite the fact the lay public doesn’t understand this term and is unfortunately associated with a negative connotation with men who dress in women’s clothing.

Most don’t know of the fourth that we do here, that some men wear for comfort/fashion.

I believe we need to realize that we’ve had X number of years to get used to this fourth concept whereas the general public has not.

In my opinion, I believe we need to be calm and informative when someone asks us about the why we are wearing a skirt.

I also believe we need to accept that many will not immediately grasp the concept or agree with the concept that some men wear skirts for comfort/fashion. However, if we react negatively, we harden their belief that there is something wrong with a man wearing a skirt. If we agree to disagree and remain civil, the person walks away confused because they expected us to be offended, but weren’t. And maybe, just maybe, that confusion becomes passive acceptance the next time the see a man in a skirt. As in them the next time confronted with MIS thinking “oh yeah, met a guy once prior who told me he wore because they were comfortable.“

Just my two cents. Any inferred slight or criticism was not my intention. I’m just stating my opinion that I believe we will attract more bees with honey than vinegar.
There is another reason besides comfort. It is because we like to feel pretty just like a woman feels.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I work in a large company and the gay men that I know wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt or dress. Society just doesn't understand gay folks. Education is needed.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

That doesn’t bother me really. People will have their opinions on the issue, whether right or wrong. Nothing can be done to change those opinions, especially if they don’t want to change, so I pay them no mind.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
bikesaurus

Post by bikesaurus »

jamie001 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:43 amYou don't have to be trans to wear skirts, just gender nonconforming.
I think that's kind of a problem though. There's no reason skirts can't be men's clothing and a man wearing one shouldn't be considered gender non-conforming.

I'm a bit of a radical though and think society's gender rules are complete arbitrary excrement.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

bikesaurus wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:23 am
jamie001 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:43 amYou don't have to be trans to wear skirts, just gender nonconforming.
I think that's kind of a problem though. There's no reason skirts can't be men's clothing and a man wearing one shouldn't be considered gender non-conforming.
I agree. One doesn’t need to be gender non conforming to wear a skirt. I identify as a man and like wearing skirts. Not because I’m at all questioning my gender but because I’m more comfortable
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:52 pm
Stu wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:16 pmI am rather irritated that every time somebody mentions skirts for men, the trans and LGBT lobbies are brought up as though there is some connection. Every time a man in a skirt is associated with these, men and boys who are not gay or trans will be deterred from trying a skirt.
"Irritation" doesn't even come close to the level of fury I tend to feel when that bogus correlation is brought up and perpetuated. The two are most assuredly NOT connected, and reinforcing said bogus connection by the media only hurts the straight population.

So, yes, it really is a Men's Rights issue, and we're the ones getting trampled on.
The irony here is one of the characteristics of masculinity is that the man in question doesn't really care how he is perceived in such instances (as wearing a skirt), he knows what he is, he knows what he is not, he is confident, and he doesn't need validation from the world.

Granted, this may be an easier hill for me to climb as most folks in my region wouldn't call me anything other than "a man" even if I asked them not to.

It's also ironic that prior to my embracing a more feminine expression, people would often call me feminine names, they'd call me a sissy, a girl, a woman, lady like...

Then I started wearing skirts and dresses and now these same people snarl their lips and insist that I am now somehow "a man".

Who-da-thunk-it....?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.