Hello from Colorado

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
bikesaurus

Hello from Colorado

Post by bikesaurus »

Hi all,

I've been lurking (i.e., reading these threads) for a while and decided I could introduce myself and probably start participating some. I'm so happy to find an old school forum community devoted to men in skirts. I mean that in the best way. I grew up on vBulletin/phpBB forums and ran a couple myself.

I have always been annoyed with society's obsession with gendered clothing, and at 37 years of age, I'm getting pretty close to just ignoring the "rules" and wearing skirts.

I did buy a skirt off of Amazon on a lark and my wife said it was "weird". That's a fair response. We've been together for nearly 15 years and it's gotta be weird for her to see me in a skirt, even though I've been thinking about it forever. I'm also really nervous/skittish about going into physical retail establishments to shop for skirts. Some day I might get there.

Anyhoo... I'm happy to have found this community and am happy to participate in some discussions about men in skirts.
BouffantBelle

Re: Hello from Colorado

Post by BouffantBelle »

bikesaurus wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:51 pm I'm also really nervous/skittish about going into physical retail establishments to shop for skirts. Some day I might get there.
One great thing about modern life, it's never been easier to dabble in wearing skirts as a man.

Provided of course, your particular tastes aren't obsolete...Image

I'm very new here too, so big welcome! :D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Welcome and thanks for your intro. If you read through some of the member's experiences I am sure it will help you get the confidence to wear skirts in public. It sure helped me starting out.
I am sure your wife will get used to the new look if you wear skirts more often. Often new things look weired and then they become familiar and normal.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Welcome, thanks for deciding to participate and enjoy the discussions.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

bikesaurus wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:51 pm Hi all,

I've been lurking (i.e., reading these threads) for a while and decided I could introduce myself and probably start participating some. I'm so happy to find an old school forum community devoted to men in skirts. I mean that in the best way. I grew up on vBulletin/phpBB forums and ran a couple myself.

I have always been annoyed with society's obsession with gendered clothing, and at 37 years of age, I'm getting pretty close to just ignoring the "rules" and wearing skirts.

I did buy a skirt off of Amazon on a lark and my wife said it was "weird". That's a fair response. We've been together for nearly 15 years and it's gotta be weird for her to see me in a skirt, even though I've been thinking about it forever. I'm also really nervous/skittish about going into physical retail establishments to shop for skirts. Some day I might get there.

Anyhoo... I'm happy to have found this community and am happy to participate in some discussions about men in skirts.
May help to start with a kilt. It’s technically a man’s skirt and therefore accepted by the all powerful “They” that make the rules nine of us voted on. Then as she gets used to it, you introduce more skirts that look less kilt like.

Case in point, I did this and was accepted by my wife though she’s always known I’m a bit non traditional in clothing choice due to a penchant for leggings. But the other day I drive home in a green “kilt” from purplerainskirts. It’s a kilt like skirt but it’s not a kilt and the traditionalists from the Scottish Highlands might want to kill me for suggesting it was even kilt like. But she calls it a kilt and really liked it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome. Lots of clues to be found herein. I still find when I buy a new skirt, if it deviates much from my 'norm' I feel a bit weird in too -- so if I just wear it for a day or two about the house, it comes to feel normal.

Wearing skirts at home provides more opportunity to get feedback from your wife; asking her input on ways to make the look work and to exchange thoughts on their utility, comfort, and means to get men out of their rut of conformity rather than being regimented by silly 'rules'. With her on board, even a bit more, will make the next steps easier -- but don't let the wearing be an at home only hiding out -- just a learning curve so you can step out with comfort and confidence. Go forth, and enjoy!

Pura Vida from Costa Rica, and a full-time skirt wearing male.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

bikesaurus wrote: I'm also really nervous/skittish about
> going into physical retail establishments to shop for skirts. Some day I
> might get there.
>I understand your apprehensions and would bet most of the guys here do. I
I can't offer any particular advice other than to say I have brought and worn various kinds of skirts here in the Denver metro area and have not had any issues other than my nervousness. I did get a wolf whistle once while wearing a pretty short denim number, or at least I think I did. But that's the only negative amongst a couple of dozen positive remarks split evenly between men and women. Of course, there are lots of sly and not-so-sly double takes something I am sure I have been guilty of myself when something I see is out of the norm.
Good luck, and enjoy the experience at your leisure.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

welcome, it's great to see someone else in Colorado wearing skirts. I'm in Ft. Collins. I started wearing skirts about 3 years ago. Now they are all I wear except when I'm on my motorcycle
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

e2k2houck wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:47 am welcome, it's great to see someone else in Colorado wearing skirts. I'm in Ft. Collins. I started wearing skirts about 3 years ago. Now they are all I wear except when I'm on my motorcycle
Hello to you as well. We, wife and I, get up to the FoCO area occasionally maybe we'll run into you sometime. I would definitely ride a motorcycle in the right skirt. I don't have one anymore though.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin