denim skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
russ272

denim skirts

Post by russ272 »

Good day to all.....I have been searching for a good quality denim skirt.....mid or mini.....where are you all finding them....looks like I will need a 22w or 24w sizing
Uncle Al

Re: denim skirts

Post by Uncle Al »

Not sure where you're located but, for new, try Time and Tru at Walmart - better selection for 'Plus' sizes.
Otherwise, Goodwill Stores or other second-hand/consignment shops. Kohl's used to have a good selection.
For me, J.C.Penny's is a bit over-priced. Sears, if you can find one, had a good selection of 'Plus' sizes and
at, to me, reasonable prices. If you don't mind waiting on delivery, there's always Ebay or amazon ;)

Have Fun on your 'Hunt' :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
russ272

Post by russ272 »

In Oklahoma...and Walmart does not have anything in stock.....
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

russ272 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:01 pmIn Oklahoma...and Walmart does not have anything in stock.....
I've used Walmart 'on-line' many times and i've only be disappointed once.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I will echo Goodwill and the like. I can pretty much count on several at Goodwill on any given day; but in the larger sizes the selections are sometimes fewer, but not totally absent. Needing something for yard work and little in my suitcase, I bought a 25" long one last week, lableled size 16 -- 50% off on color of the day tag, for a grand total of $3.99 but no rear pockets. These make great work skirts as they take the abuse and can be treated like ordinary jeans.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CLJoRrH7oXKv6bNF8
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

You never know what you will get.

But yes a good will type stores are the best

And where I have gotten a majority of my skirts at.

Followed by ebay.

Brands I'm impressed with as far as for more robustly made denim skirt s and skirts in general.

Bear in mind I m shopping resale, old stock might be better quality than if you buy new?

Reason saying that fashion bug used to have a clothing line called LA blues. They have amazing jeans. Comparable to most men's jeans. Basic 5 pocket design. Hefty weight denim. Very nice useable pockets. They had these for the longest time. And I own at least 6 pair and they are right there in the closet with my men's jeans.
Any way at some point LA blues changed up the design
For whatever reason. To pockets that were nearly useless at about 4 inches deep.

Made that mistake and own At least 3 pair with the sucky pockets.

So I now message seller s and ask them if they can measure the pocket depth and tell me if it's not already in the description.

So brands I recommend looking for the have had decent pocket in some of their line.

This is not a comprehensive list, as there are probably 1000 women's clothing line s past and present. Just a few I have had good luck with. And what I own

LA blues the early years 9 jeans 2 shortalls
CJ Banks - 4 skirts, 3 jeans 1 shortalls 3 shorts
Old navy - 2 skirts
Cherokee - 1 skirt 1shortalls
Revolt - 3 skirts, 2 skorts, 6 shortalls (absolutely the best fitting twill Short alls on the planet) 1 pair of shorts

Ok it's apparent that I wear shortalls alot.

And I do, most of the spring, summer and fall.
I like them loose so I buy them one or two sizes larger than I wear in skirts and jeans.

My wife doesn't seem to mind women's, jeans, shortalls, and shorts. But if I put on a skirt. Look out, run for the hills

Ok well she complains about everything women's from time to time, she still voices that she's not ok with it.
But at least I can wear them. I'm starting to cut off all of the size tags on my clothes that makes it a little harder to determine what's what. That dreaded W and strange sizing wrecks alot of suitable clothes.

Good luck on your quest for great denim skirt s they do exist, just need to be patient and look around.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I feel like I should apologise straight away. I don't like denim skirts. There is is I've said it. Shame on me.
Skirts are a thing of beauty, a chance to flourish. Denim will never flourish.
I have some denim long shorts with lots of pockets. I like them. If I had to choose I would wear the shorts and ditch the denim skirt.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I wear denim skirts alot because it is tough workwear but I try and avoid the traditional indigo blue colour.
I used to get most from Op-shops (thrift shops) when I used to travel around alot.
Now I purchase most online in the following order of preference:
eBay
Depop
Shein
Poshmark
and some Op-shops now have an online presence like Salvos.

On of my favourite mini skirts was purchased new from Shein. I have purchased a few in different colours since and a size down from the first one as they are quite stretchy (which I like for comfort).
All Shein garments are Chinese, as with most clothing including some expensive brands. If you click on the size it will give you real measurements which generally are quite accurate. There are bigger sizes in other styles. Also, some days there is free shipping for puchases over $29.

The top pockets are fake but the side ones are good, which I wear unbuttoned as I use them alot.

Also another simple practical mini skirt, the pockets are real but not capacitous and the material is not stretchy (100% cotton) so the sizing is accurate:

PS: That is not me. Click on the pic to go to the website.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Denimini, basically I like the Shein skirt, and I think it is great that you can see the waist, hip size and length for the different sizes.

The first impression that it should be way too short (30 cm - barely 12") might therefore not be correct. I'm a waist size 36", meaning that the 3XL should fit me and be 43.5 cm (17") long. Well, still to the short side, but...

Thanks for the link.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I see shortalls mentioned here. Not skirts, but I like them.
I have bought three denim shortalls in the past year: one from Forever 21,
one from Old Navy, one direct from Levi Strauss. All new, not used.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

denimini wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:15 am PS: That is not me. Click on the pic to go to the website.
:lol: :lol:
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

russ272 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:45 pm Good day to all.....I have been searching for a good quality denim skirt.....mid or mini.....where are you all finding them....looks like I will need a 22w or 24w sizing

Woman Within
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

A w22 or w24? Then the Shein skirt in size XS should fit in the waist. But again, it os only 30 cm long, barely 12". I doubt any man can wear it.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

GerdG wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:05 pm A w22 or w24? Then the Shein skirt in size XS should fit in the waist. But again, it os only 30 cm long, barely 12". I doubt any man can wear it.
I have worn these skirts a lot of times in many situations, perhaps wearing low waisted and being 170cm "tall" makes a difference:

PS: That is me this time.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:18 pm PS: That is me this time.
Awww Gee, I am so disappointed.
In the UK there are Trades Descriptions Regulations which take a very dim view of misleading advertising.
Steve.