adidas pride dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

adidas pride dress

Post by Coder »

https://www.adidas.com/us/pride-dress/II0902.html

Folks - hear me out. I know lots won't like to see this posted here due to the lgbt association, but adidas once again is making another unisex garment - this time a dress (actually, they have a bathing suit listed as well, but that's not really this forum's charge). I get it - it's not what lots of people here want... but here's the deal - it's a thing. It's a real, tangible men's garment being sold off the rack for men (erm, technically unisex). It's being modeled by someone who looks male - let's assume it doesn't matter how the person identifies - as most will see them as a male.

My point? Well, I think this collection just recently launched, this garment is out of stock in most sizes, and will likely sell out without need for it being clearanced. Perhaps this will add more data to adidas' design team that skirts for men sell. Am I'm being too optimistic? For sure.

Do I like it? Erm, not sure. For one it's too short, number two the material looks super thin. Lastly, I suspect one needs an athletic body for that sort of dress. I like the pattern.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: adidas pride dress

Post by phathack »

As far as I'm concerned everything Adidas makes I would consider it to be unisex.
The only problem I see with them is their "Womens" wear stuff is just available in Pluss Size.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

phathack wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:32 am As far as I'm concerned everything Adidas makes I would consider it to be unisex.
The only problem I see with them is their "Womens" wear stuff is just available in Pluss Size.
It pretty much is Phatback which makes it quite absurd to home in on the unisex and genderless labels.
Limited choice and premium pricing, what is the point when one can simply cross the aisle.
As for size, try it on and discard or choose to taste.
Gods, we men do have grow a lot or fashion freedom will just fade and die.
The Pride Dress even the bathing suit may have their place but they won't cut it either.
"Sold out" is more likely due to limited production than unprecedented demand I'm afraid.
Steve
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Coder wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:57 am https://www.adidas.com/us/pride-dress/II0902.html

Folks - hear me out. I know lots won't like to see this posted here due to the lgbt association, ...
Some of us do come under the LGBT banner, others do not.  The objection is not to LGBT, the objection is to the incorrect assumption that everyone here comes under the same banner.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:57 am It's being modeled by someone who looks male - let's assume it doesn't matter how the person identifies - as most will see them as a male.
Judging by the swimsuit photo he's definitely male! o_O

A lot of their stuff is pretty generally unisex, even if not marketed as such. I'm one good discount away from trying one of their shirt dresses as a swimming pool coverup. :shock:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:41 amSome of us do come under the LGBT banner, others do not.  The objection is not to LGBT, the objection is to the incorrect assumption that everyone here comes under the same banner.
Nailed it.

There's also the incorrect association that a skirt on a guy means that he must be part of the alphabet-soup mix If that perception cannot be nixed then the skirt will become a signifier of "being on the spectrum" and will remove the notion of skirts from the regular guy's RADAR for generations.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I agree it's too short, but also, I don't like the pattern.

I did glance at the bathing suit but it's disappointing: it's just an ordinary bathing suit with a unisex label. Lame!

Still, at least they're making a kind of effort.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:44 pm I did glance at the bathing suit but it's disappointing: it's just an ordinary bathing suit with a unisex label. Lame!

Still, at least they're making a kind of effort.
It was the bathing suit that drew the most "ire" from social media (I had heard about the bathing suit, and was curious if there were any other items in the collection). The interesting part is people were complaining it was a man modeling a women's bathing suit, when clearly it's "unisex"... I'll leave that one up to each person to decide what they think. IMHO, if I had my way we'd be still wearing wool bathing suits from the 1900's... so I think you can imagine my disdain for today's modern swim suit styles :lol:.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:30 pm so I think you can imagine my disdain for today's modern swim suit styles
Ok Coder, so I refrain from posting a shot of me in my one then.
Certainly has to be better than the mankini in any case.
Even at that level the aisle can be crossed without much ado.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I thought it would have been in Pride colours... but at least Adidas are putting it out there for men by using a male model, it might strike a chord in communities such as people of color who may not look favourably on fashion freedom. Both the dress and model do not seem too outrageous as some of the stuff put on catwalks, even if it may be a little on the short side (but younger men may wish to show off their legs in short stuff :mrgreen: )

People will buy it at that price, you should see the price of designer coats in shops now :shock:

A lot of skirted guys on instagram show off with designer skirts, Fendi bags and the like, so the money is there...

I guess it shows fashion changing and guys in skirts may not cause such a shock as in years gone by. Yes, some may need the alphabet soup to compartmentalize such, but it's the way it goes...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think the length is ok - its a typical dress length - and its a sports styled dress so it should be a shorter hemline style.

The swimsuit is a funny one - interesting that its pretty much the same as the other swimsuit which is a much prettier blue pattern. I don't know that is made for a man vs woman bodies - just very unisex cut.

this whole try hard 'LGBTQYWXYZ...' thing annoys me - although I admit technically I am labelled as such - I don't label myself as such, and I'll wear what I want from the womens aisle anyway. I don't know that stuff needs to be marketed as 'friendly' or pride etc...

Nonetheless its actually quite good to see that they are promoting men wearing diverse styles.