The Beskirted Man

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Beskirted Man

Post by STEVIE »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:52 pm Many people, it seems, have forgotten that Mark Bryan is a member of Skirt Cafe'.
He has been, and still is, a FULL TIME skirt wearing person, in his job, home and
coaching his kids sports team. His Cafe' screen name is "Mark as in Mark" and has
483 posts in his 6 years of membership.
Uncle Al,
I have a feeling that you may have me down as one of the "many", but no, I have not forgotten that Mark Bryan is still a cafe member.
He has quite a few advantages that the ordinary guys around here can only dream of, wealth and position!
That is a statement of fact and is borne of no envy whatsoever, good luck to him and all his endeavours, they have no bearing on my life or clothing choices.
With respect, do you honestly believe his proven acumen justifies the hero worship because I'm not so certain that he, himself might agree?
I for one, would actually welcome his views.
Please bear in mind that many of us are making equally valid contributions to the MIS cause under vastly more challenging conditions.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:40 pm
Uncle Al wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:52 pm Many people, it seems, have forgotten that Mark Bryan is a member of Skirt Cafe'.
He has been, and still is, a FULL TIME skirt wearing person, in his job, home and
coaching his kids sports team. His Cafe' screen name is "Mark as in Mark" and has
Uncle Al,
I have a feeling that you may have me down as one of the "many", but no, I have not forgotten that Mark Bryan is still a cafe member.
He has quite a few advantages that the ordinary guys around here can only dream of, wealth and position!
That is a statement of fact and is borne of no envy whatsoever, good luck to him and all his endeavours, they have no bearing on my life or clothing choices.
With respect, do you honestly believe his proven acumen justifies the hero worship because I'm not so certain that he, himself might agree?
Please bear in mind that many of us are making equally valid contributions to the MIS cause under vastly more challenging conditions.
Steve.
Evening Stevie
I completely agree. There are men (you for sure) who are making great contributions to MIS without the international accolade given to MB.
I ponder the reason why?
1. Luck. Don't estimate luck. This weeks DID's, Deila Smith said she was washing dishes in a French restaurant when she was invited to help with some food photography. That lead her to photograph food in her own right and that lead..by luck to her photographing a cake for a rolling stones cover. The rest is history. No bearing on MIS BTW.
2. He has what some say is good taste.
3. He can walk in high heels.
4. He's tall with a good frame.
5. He's smart.
Good luck to him. If I could do better, if would be me up there not him.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:40 pm
Uncle Al,
Steve.
Nor have I forgotten, but he doesn't post here too often (not sure how much of a poster he was before the fame). I think it would be nice to hear from him from time to time. I mean, if you are sort of a torchbearer for the MIS cause, you'd think some time would be devoted to encouraging people here who are on the fence. But... then again once you hit the limelight you have to be cautious lest you write something that loses you a contract for some free clothes. He might also have stories about people he met, positive feedback he's received, and so forth. I don't do the hero worship thing either, but good for him for being an outsized voice out there.

And yeah - I say outsized in that he's been in newspaper articles (some here have been as well) - has a huge instagram following - and is actively doing interviews.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:04 pm Evening Stevie
I completely agree. There are men (you for sure) who are making great contributions to MIS without the international accolade given to MB.
I ponder the reason why?
1. Luck. Don't estimate luck. This weeks DID's, Deila Smith said she was washing dishes in a French restaurant when she was invited to help with some food photography. That lead her to photograph food in her own right and that lead..by luck to her photographing a cake for a rolling stones cover. The rest is history. No bearing on MIS BTW.
5. He's smart.
A few points:
1. "Luck" is sometimes more about having a willingness to roll the dice than what they land on. Take the chance, commit to a course of action. Make your own "luck."
2. He has his detractors, too. Get the fundamentals down through study if you have to (color, fit, etc.), and find a style that works for you. He basically did one look 90% of the time from what I saw...
3. Walking in heels is about practice. Nothing more.
4. I seem to remember him actually saying he was fairly short. Wearing heels originally to dance with a taller girlfriend. Probably means his feet are small enough for standard women's shoe sizes...
5. Smarts don't matter here, though I think this group here at the cafe leans on the upper side of the intelligence spectrum, or at least are thoughtful enough to ask "why not?" when others simply accept the status quo.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Dust wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:26 am
Barleymower wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:04 pm Evening Stevie
I ponder the reason why?
5. He's smart.

A few points:
1. "Luck" is sometimes more about having a willingness to roll the dice than what they land on. Take the chance, commit to a course of action. Make your own "luck."
2. He has his detractors, too. Get the fundamentals down through study if you have to (color, fit, etc.), and find a style that works for you. He basically did one look 90% of the time from what I saw...
3. Walking in heels is about practice. Nothing more.
4. I seem to remember him actually saying he was fairly short. Wearing heels originally to dance with a taller girlfriend. Probably means his feet are small enough for standard women's shoe sizes...
5. Smarts don't matter here, though I think this group here at the cafe leans on the upper side of the intelligence spectrum, or at least are thoughtful enough to ask "why not?" when others simply accept the status quo.
There are many more "unsung heroes" on Reddit and Instagram, many who just go out there end enjoy life. Many youngsters using the IDGAF model just get out there. Vicson Wong is one who features on Insta with his own look, https://www.instagram.com/skirts_for_men/

The people who feature all dress well, and seem well to do. 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:40 am There are many more "unsung heroes" on Reddit and Instagram, many who just go out there end enjoy life. Many youngsters using the IDGAF model just get out there. Vicson Wong is one who features on Insta with his own look, https://www.instagram.com/skirts_for_men/

No doubt. There are some great pics online from folks that likely don't have a clue this place exists. I saw the post about inactive members, and was wondering about what small percentage of skirt wearing men are on this site. I hope it's low (that would mean there are more of us) but I don't know.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Dust wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:17 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:40 am There are many more "unsung heroes" on Reddit and Instagram, many who just go out there end enjoy life. Many youngsters using the IDGAF model just get out there. Vicson Wong is one who features on Insta with his own look, https://www.instagram.com/skirts_for_men/

No doubt. There are some great pics online from folks that likely don't have a clue this place exists. I saw the post about inactive members, and was wondering about what small percentage of skirt wearing men are on this site. I hope it's low (that would mean there are more of us) but I don't know.
Are there more of us?
Here in Reading I've seen a guy a few times (about 20-25 years) in pencil skirt, tights, jumper and trainers. An older man with a dog in a tarten skirt/kilt. Also saw in the vintage shop in town a man in a tarten skirt, a white shirt, black tank top and pearls. They are out there. It's widespread.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:06 pm They are out there. It's widespread.
Yes, they are BM, but widespread as in uncommon and vastly separated.
Steve
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:30 am
Barleymower wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:06 pm They are out there. It's widespread.
Yes, they are BM, but widespread as in uncommon and vastly separated.
Steve
The folk of the skirtcafe are certainly thin on the ground and widespread but I've seen guys around here and my wife has seen them up at the University. If all of the ones I've seen and my family have seen in my town joined the café that would boost numbers in that cafe by 4. I shoot at various different grounds near my house (within 5 miles) there's probably 50-100 people turn up. I hardly ever see them out and about but they are there.

How many would like to try but dare not?
How many never leave the house?

That's what I mean by widespread. If I thought it was just me then I would probably give up and fall in line but movement is bigger than it looks on first glance.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:06 pm
Dust wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:17 pm

Are there more of us?
Here in Reading I've seen a guy a few times (about 20-25 years) in pencil skirt, tights, jumper and trainers. An older man with a dog in a tarten skirt/kilt. Also saw in the vintage shop in town a man in a tarten skirt, a white shirt, black tank top and pearls. They are out there. It's widespread.
There's quite a few in London too, saw one guy in the City wearing a pinstripe pencil skirt, dark tights, sneakers (trainers) and a gilet last week, he was with friends so didn't get a chance to acknowledge him. I was in a Zara denim skirt having just gotten off my train. I think many have found inspiration on more popular platforms (sorry :oops: ) and thought, what the hell, go for it and just get out there. Have noticed it's the more affluent types than your average Joe.
Most do not bat an eyelid, I guess skirts don't shock like years ago :roll:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

new2skirts wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:12 pm I think many have found inspiration on more popular platforms (sorry :oops: ) and thought, what the hell, go for it and just get out there.
Yeah - I think what some of the more populated platforms are showing (Instagram, Reddit, etc...) is that more and more guys are just getting out there in skirts and wearing what they want. And I get the impression from some of those that do post is that it isn't as big of a deal nor is it "skirts only". They mix it up, wear different things, and treat skirts like any other wardrobe item. We are far far far away from generalized male skirt-wearing, but I feel there are far more MIS out there than we realize.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:40 pmI think what some of the more populated platforms are showing (Instagram, Reddit, etc...) is that more and more guys are just getting out there in skirts and wearing what they want. And I get the impression from some of those that do post is that it isn't as big of a deal nor is it "skirts only". They mix it up, wear different things, and treat skirts like any other wardrobe item. We are far far far away from generalized male skirt-wearing, but I feel there are far more MIS out there than we realize.
Indeed, I have long suspected that there's more of an interest "out there" than commonly manifests in public, and it's good to know of other fora on the same topic.

However, I suspect the other fora are more image-based, where this is a text-based community -- and I prefer text/prose to random imagery as random imagery has no context to it. The "younger set" will gravitate to that image-based world, but in doing so will also miss out on some of the deep context and the "whys" that guys choose this path, the pitfalls that can befall them, and some of the headwinds that will be encountered in the wild. The kids don't "get" prose all that well any more, which I find sad.

In any event, here's hoping for a blossoming of a verdant 2024 when it comes to style freedom!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:49 pm However, I suspect the other fora are more image-based, where this is a text-based community -- and I prefer text/prose to random imagery as random imagery has no context to it. The "younger set" will gravitate to that image-based world, but in doing so will also miss out on some of the deep context and the "whys" that guys choose this path, the pitfalls that can befall them, and some of the headwinds that will be encountered in the wild. The kids don't "get" prose all that well any more, which I find sad.
That's the part I dislike about the "greater" image-based places - there is very little discussion.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 pm
crfriend wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:49 pm However, I suspect the other fora are more image-based, where this is a text-based community -- and I prefer text/prose to random imagery as random imagery has no context to it. The "younger set" will gravitate to that image-based world, but in doing so will also miss out on some of the deep context and the "whys" that guys choose this path, the pitfalls that can befall them, and some of the headwinds that will be encountered in the wild. The kids don't "get" prose all that well any more, which I find sad.
That's the part I dislike about the "greater" image-based places - there is very little discussion.
From time to time, in the "r/Menskirts" sub in Reddit, some do just post text-only threads (admittedly it's rare) asking advice, or asking how to deal with reactions / trouble from family (one guy mentioned trouble when he wore a kilt at Christmas dinner and the backlash it got from relatives) and there quite a few comments, but in the read and run format, it's mostly visual... some of it is overly fem, as some adopt breast forms, wigs etc (though moderators now try direct such posters / Redditors to other threads more geared to such)... some may feel a picture paints a thousand words, but there's plenty out there 8)