What it takes to be a man in a skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What it takes to be a man in a skirt

Post by jamie001 »

Barleymower wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:24 am
Coder wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:29 pm
phathack wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:22 pm
I would hope you walking in searing a skirt would attract no more attention than the women wearing shorts did.
I wouldn't say I'm an expert on these things, but just from observing others observing me (or rather, not observing me)... unless it was a really obvious skirt (floor length, bright green or rainbow tiered affair) I kind of doubt many would take notice. And if they did, I doubt they'd have said or made an obvious comment. Unless you live in the southern US (going by moon's comments and experiences).
Can you say that you haven't wanted the more extravagant pieces? I can see a world when it's fine for men to wear a skirt but in order for it to be 'manly' it will need to be bland. The utilikilt is an example.
I will opt out of this manly crap! The world needs to stop with the masculine/feminine stuff and just let people be themselves.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:53 pm I will opt out of this manly crap! The world needs to stop with the masculine/feminine stuff and just let people be themselves.
I like being manly. I value my masculinity an I value my wife's femininity.

By all means you be yourself and eschew masculinity if it doesn't work for you, but I want to be me and enjoy and celebrate my masculinity.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:35 am I have found that it does not take a lot, just a healthy disregard for what people might think.
The one absolute advantage that comes with the aging process, not to give a tinker's cuss.
Lets one have loads of fun at the disapprover's expense.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:53 pm
Barleymower wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:24 am
Coder wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:29 pm
I wouldn't say I'm an expert on these things, but just from observing others observing me (or rather, not observing me)... unless it was a really obvious skirt (floor length, bright green or rainbow tiered affair) I kind of doubt many would take notice. And if they did, I doubt they'd have said or made an obvious comment. Unless you live in the southern US (going by moon's comments and experiences).
Can you say that you haven't wanted the more extravagant pieces? I can see a world when it's fine for men to wear a skirt but in order for it to be 'manly' it will need to be bland. The utilikilt is an example.
I will opt out of this manly crap! The world needs to stop with the masculine/feminine stuff and just let people be themselves.
Perhaps you can define masculinity? The good stuff rather than the manly crap...
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:41 pm
denimini wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:35 am I have found that it does not take a lot, just a healthy disregard for what people might think.
The one absolute advantage that comes with the aging process, not to give a tinker's cuss.
Steve.
That's what I observed in some of my elders and am now experiencing. It's so much fun.
Barry
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Regarding blandness.... This may prove to be a brief phase. Consider traditional kilts-these can be quite colorful.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:41 pm The one absolute advantage that comes with the aging process, not to give a tinker's cuss.
Steve.
I am just sad that I didn't realise that in my 20's instead of my 60's. Younger members here take note!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

denimini wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:49 am I am just sad that I didn't realise that in my 20's instead of my 60's. Younger members here take note!
Same for me.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

denimini wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:49 amI am just sad that I didn't realise that in my 20's instead of my 60's. Younger members here take note!
I agree, instead of my 50’s.
FLMike

Post by FLMike »

It is easy to say should have done this in your 20's or 30's but back then more guys are worried about image and fitting in or attracting mates.
Guys above 50 are more established in life and their bodies aren't what they were in younger days some cases.

Older fellows don't really give an eff what others think and just want to enjoy life.
8)
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

FLMike wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:37 pmIt is easy to say should have done this in your 20's or 30's but back then more guys are worried about image and fitting in or attracting mates. Guys above 50 are more established in life and their bodies aren't what they were in younger days some cases. Older fellows don't really give an eff what others think and just want to enjoy life.
Lots of truth in what you say. I wore Hind sport tights back in my 30s and 40s, which wasn’t acceptable in a similar way to wearing a skirt.

There was a neat interview on NPR Fresh Air, Monday July 3, “Remembering Oscar-winning actor and British Parliament member Glenda Jackson”. Ms. Jackson had excellent insight into gender and age:

“GROSS: The first thing people always seem to want to know is, why is a woman playing King Lear, and what's it like to be a woman playing Lear? So you first played him in 2016 at The Old Vic in London. Why did you want to play Lear?

JACKSON: Who would refuse the opportunity to work in a play of that stature? I mean, it is such an extraordinary play. Like all of Shakespeare, essentially, he only asks us three questions - who are we? What are we? Why are we? And this particular play, it's just astonishing. Human nature is immutable. And so in a sense, it is the most contemporary play around at the minute. We, in England, had been engaged in a kind of gender-bender war, really. And the marvelous company that was created and succeeded in winning those battles - they did all of Shakespeare's histories with all-women casts. And so in a sense, that battle was over. And what was really - one of the really interesting things for me playing it was that nobody ever mentioned the fact that I was a woman playing a man, having seen the play.

And also, the other interesting thing I found in doing it, when I was a member of Parliament, part of my duties was to visit old people's homes, day centers, things of that nature. And as we get older, those absolute barriers that define gender begin to crack. They begin to get a little bit foggy and break up. And if you think about it, I mean, when we're born, we teach babies - don't we? - to be boys or girls. As we get older, we begin to explore, I think, rather more the alternatives to our defined gender. And that, certainly for Lear, is quite useful.

GROSS: I want you to elaborate a little bit on how you see gender boundaries blurring or falling away with age and to apply it to your own life, as well, if you find it applicable.

JACKSON: Well, I think I'm a bit of a cheat because when things are tough in a kind of direct way in my real life, I don't have any qualms about playing the old card, do you know what I mean? I mean, certainly as far as our underground is concerned, young people do get up and offer me a seat. The first time it happened, I felt absolutely mortified. And now I'm beginning to get to the stage where I expect it and then mortified if it doesn't happen. But 9 times out of 10, it does.”
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

FLMike wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:37 pmIt is easy to say should have done this in your 20's or 30's but back then more guys are worried about image and fitting in or attracting mates.
Guys above 50 are more established in life and their bodies aren't what they were in younger days some cases.
I confirm that my main concern about skirt is the risk of destroying my "man-hetero-reputation" and being celibate (which I am against my will since I'm born) for yet another tens of years because women would not see in me the man of their life. It is in third position in the list of what can make me wear trousers outside. First being meteo/[what I'm going to do], second reluctance of my closest friends/family/colleagues.