HYPE: It’s Official: Men Are Now Experimenting With Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

HYPE: It’s Official: Men Are Now Experimenting With Skirts

Post by Coder »

https://hype.my/2023/323752/its-officia ... kirts-now/

Thank goodness! It's official now, so what are y'all waiting for? (obviously I'm being sarcastic)

It's actually not a bad article to send to family/friends, though. It's an interesting roundup of styles, and some helpful (if not simple/basic) tips on how to get started wearing skirts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: HYPE: It’s Official: Men Are Now Experimenting With Skirts

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:44 pm https://hype.my/2023/323752/its-officia ... kirts-now/

Thank goodness! It's official now, so what are y'all waiting for? (obviously I'm being sarcastic)

It's actually not a bad article to send to family/friends, though. It's an interesting roundup of styles, and some helpful (if not simple/basic) tips on how to get started wearing skirts.
The skirt sported by Aaron Aubrey, has a fly front! Cool.
I have pushed the article to all family phones.👍
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:16 pmThe skirt sported by Aaron Aubrey, has a fly front! Cool.
Of what conceivable use is a fly on a skirt (other than to simply hold the thing up)?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:24 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:16 pmThe skirt sported by Aaron Aubrey, has a fly front! Cool.
Of what conceivable use is a fly on a skirt (other than to simply hold the thing up)?
I’m going to guess to mimic pants? But yeah, I’m with you - I don’t really see a need one way or the other. Pretty much any fastening technique is fine by me, although I prefer belt loops and/or elastic as then they don’t have to fit perfectly to get a good fit.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:24 pm
The skirt needs a zip somewhere, so given the choice the front is just as good and the side or the back. I have a skirt from a thrift store with a zip in the front. It's a lot easier to get on because I can actually see the damn zip. I don't think it really counts as a fly since it's only 5cm or so.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's a man's skirt. So it has a fly. I'm not seeing the problem.
It's defining itself as a man's skirt, I'm seeing the fun side of it.
I know that all clothes should be gender free but it raises a smile in a good way..
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

For Heaven's sake, Skirt or Pants but not both at the same time.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Sitting here in the airport in a black kilt, this article is helping me a lot. Thanks for posting Coder
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:44 pm https://hype.my/2023/323752/its-officia ... kirts-now/

It seems the “John Cena wears a skirt” aspect of this article is just part of a movie? Not sure what movie but doesn’t it seem odd that people realize it’s him on a movie set dressed in costume but are still upset?

Reminds me of the poll that many men feel their masculinity is under attack when they see a drag Queen. The problems not the drag Queen but the fragile masculinity. Is it not? How can there be any other explanation for why an individuals masculinity is affected by the mere presence of another?

The rest of the article’s men in skirts seem to be men who wear a skirt for fashion.

It’s also not lost on me that they make this sound like an official announcement. Like the royal decree allowing men to wear skirts and blame the King for forcing them to do so. This decree won’t happen but it’s what a lot of us want. It’s like the author knows this and is plying the use of diction to strike a chord with those like me who wish they weren’t a pioneer some days.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:44 pm Thank goodness! It's official now, so what are y'all waiting for? (obviously I'm being sarcastic)
My goodness Coder, Sarcastic, I never could have guessed.
Strange to say that many of us have managed perfectly well without the hype mainly because we tired of waiting for official sanction.
One thing I am sure of is that if someone is really set against men wearing skirts, this will change nothing at all.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:15 pm My goodness Coder, Sarcastic, I never could have guessed.
:lol:

I hate having to write such disclaimers when I’m being snarky, but I want people to know my intent whether or not it’s obvious.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:15 pm
I hate having to write such disclaimers when I’m being snarky, but I want people to know my intent whether or not it’s obvious.
The written word does not convey tone. One needs to write disclaimers or risk getting harshed on for assumed meanings.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:15 pmI hate having to write such disclaimers when I’m being snarky, but I want people to know my intent whether or not it’s obvious.
So don't. (1) "Disclaimers" are easily discernable as either outright false or simply wastes of bandwidth by discerning readers and (2) ignored by most everybody else. Please knock it off.

Sarcasm is easily communicated if one chooses his words wisely. All adding a "disclaimer" does is put a grace-note on an offence which does not disarm said offence.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:19 pm Sarcasm is easily communicated if one chooses his words wisely. All adding a "disclaimer" does is put a grace-note on an offence which does not disarm said offence.
I disagree. These days it's becoming harder to figure out if someone is being sarcastic or whether it's their actual opinion. The internet adage is "on the internet no-one can hear you sarcasm" and I think it's gotten worse not better.

That said, the common sarcasm indicator is "/s" after the sentence. As an abbreviation for you having put <sarcasm></sarcasm> around your text. It's short, unobtrusive and removes any doubt.

Or you might be right and everybody on the internet can spot sarcasm a mile off. /s
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:54 am I disagree. These days it's becoming harder to figure out if someone is being sarcastic or whether it's their actual opinion. The internet adage is "on the internet no-one can hear you sarcasm" and I think it's gotten worse not better.
*Moon enters the chat...*

Yep... lord knows I've rubbed a few the wrong way with my sarcasm. I even caused a few members to part ways over it.

Though I will admit Carl always seems to know when I'm being a smart ass (must be my northern "yankee" blood), and may explain why despite all of this, I don't think I've ever been beat over the head with the mod hat.. :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.