HYPE: It’s Official: Men Are Now Experimenting With Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Re: HYPE: It’s Official: Men Are Now Experimenting With Skirts

Post by Offkilter69 »

Coder wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:30 pm
crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:24 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:16 pmThe skirt sported by Aaron Aubrey, has a fly front! Cool.
Of what conceivable use is a fly on a skirt (other than to simply hold the thing up)?
I’m going to guess to mimic pants? But yeah, I’m with you - I don’t really see a need one way or the other. Pretty much any fastening technique is fine by me, although I prefer belt loops and/or elastic as then they don’t have to fit perfectly to get a good fit.
To me it looks like he twirled the skirt around to make a back zipper look like a fly, or he just didn’t know how to wear it. The zippers on flys are usually not exposed.

I agree that belt loops are preferred for fit, plus they can “masculinize” a skirt a bit if they accommodate a man’s belt as well.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:38 pm To me it looks like he twirled the skirt around to make a back zipper look like a fly, or he just didn’t know how to wear it. The zippers on flys are usually not exposed.
That's hilarious - yes - that is most certainly a side or back zipper. If there were two it could be decorative front zippers - I've seen that before - but then they should be centered evenly so you can see both.

Speaking of which - I sometimes forget to check myself to make sure my skirt is centered (but certainly would never wear one backwards)- so I wouldn't knock him on this one, rather if he has a stylist, knock them for not giving instructions. But then again, skirts being second nature to some women (assuming he has a stylist and they are a woman), they might not think that's a detail to even consider mentioning.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:00 pm
Reminds me of the poll that many men feel their masculinity is under attack when they see a drag Queen. The problems not the drag Queen but the fragile masculinity. Is it not? How can there be any other explanation for why an individuals masculinity is affected by the mere presence of another?

It’s also not lost on me that they make this sound like an official announcement. Like the royal decree allowing men to wear skirts and blame the King for forcing them to do so. This decree won’t happen but it’s what a lot of us want. It’s like the author knows this and is plying the use of diction to strike a chord with those like me who wish they weren’t a pioneer some days.
I’ve long felt that men who go out of their way to be outspoken against or ridicule those in the LGBTQ community have insecurity issues of their own in regard to those topics and are trying “to prove” their macho manhood by bashing (or worse) those communities. Otherwise, why care? One doesn’t need to agree with the lifestyle choices of others to live in relative harmony with them.

To your second point, I think most of us on this forum wish we didn’t have to be pioneers of the MIS fashion movement. Whether or not “It’s Official” has any real merit, we seem to scan the World Wide Web for any kind of validation we can get, myself included. Bottom line- the everyday men like us need to make it happen. Every time we step into a community setting while kilted/skirted is an opportunity to possibly inspire another guy to take the plunge and act on a long-repressed fashion desire and/or question asinine fashion “rules”. A slow domino effect is the only way MIS will become at least semi-mainstream.
Last edited by Offkilter69 on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Coder wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:52 pm
Offkilter69 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:38 pm To me it looks like he twirled the skirt around to make a back zipper look like a fly, or he just didn’t know how to wear it. The zippers on flys are usually not exposed.
That's hilarious - yes - that is most certainly a side or back zipper. If there were two it could be decorative front zippers - I've seen that before - but then they should be centered evenly so you can see both.

Speaking of which - I sometimes forget to check myself to make sure my skirt is centered (but certainly would never wear one backwards)- so I wouldn't knock him on this one, rather if he has a stylist, knock them for not giving instructions. But then again, skirts being second nature to some women (assuming he has a stylist and they are a woman), they might not think that's a detail to even consider mentioning.
It’s similar to when kilt newbies wear the pleats in the front. I’ve seen plenty of contemporary skirts that have a zipper that go the length of the front down to the hem. When in doubt, the tags go in the back!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:07 pm It’s similar to when kilt newbies wear the pleats in the front. When in doubt, the tags go in the back!
Ya know... let me complain a bit about skirts...

No pockets is the most annoying thing I find with them, but my second annoyance is which direction they go.

On most skirts it's pretty obvious - combination of label placement, zipper, length of panels (back half is sometimes longer), perhaps even seeing it worn on a model. A traditional fly zip makes it very obvious. But I have many many skirts where it's very unclear. Is the zipper a side zip or back? Does the label go to the back or side? Anywhoo - I don't worry too much about this, but I find it annoying that manufacturer's don't make it clear or stick to a standard they all agree on (ie, label to the back, always).
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Long gone are the days when I would dare to touch a forbidden skirt. Now I feel great about my new healthy relationship with clothes, even though I still squirm inside when I'm out.
Pet peeves? Getting a skirt that really fits is rare. Size 14 can range from 10 to 17 depending on who / where it was made. Little metal clips at the side that dig in would be the most annoying.
I would like a dress but I have not found one that I like and fits.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:45 pm
I’ve long felt that men who go out of their way to be outspoken against or ridicule those in the LGBTQ community have insecurity issues of their own in regard to those topics and are trying “to prove” their macho manhood by bashing (or worse) those the communities. Otherwise, why care?
Otherwise, why care? Exactly. If another person impacts your masculinity, the problem ain’t with the other person. The problems with the person who ain’t secure in his masculinity. For whatever masculinity means.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Coder wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:31 pm
Ya know... let me complain a bit about skirts...

...I have many many skirts where it's very unclear. Is the zipper a side zip or back? Does the label go to the back or side? Anywhoo - I don't worry too much about this, but I find it annoying that manufacturer's don't make it clear or stick to a standard they all agree on (ie, label to the back, always).
Agreed.
I have one denim skirt which I think I possibly wear backwards, because it has a slit at the bottom which I don't really like having at the front but find acceptable at the back. Otherwise, it seems to look ok either way, as far as pockets and zips go.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:47 am Yep... lord knows I've rubbed a few the wrong way with my sarcasm. I even caused a few members to part ways over it.

Though I will admit Carl always seems to know when I'm being a smart ass (must be my northern "yankee" blood), and may explain why despite all of this, I don't think I've ever been beat over the head with the mod hat.. :mrgreen:
I think the more you use sarcasm, the easier it is to recognise when used by others.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Offkilter69 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:38 pm
To me it looks like he twirled the skirt around to make a back zipper look like a fly, or he just didn’t know how to wear it. The zippers on flys are usually not exposed.

I agree that belt loops are preferred for fit, plus they can “masculinize” a skirt a bit if they accommodate a man’s belt as well.

Maybe he was trying to masculinise his skirt by pretending it had a fly at the front. It looks like it's pleated all the way round, so it may not be cut with the back different from the front. And in a very flowy skirt like that, the zip is the stiffest part and the least likely to expose the shape of his genitals in a breeze. It makes sense if you ask me.

But in most skirts it's clear from the cut which way round to wear it. They are cut for women's sticky-out posteriors.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

skirtyscot wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:56 pm But in most skirts it's clear from the cut which way round to wear it. They are cut for women's sticky-out posteriors.
No complaints here about that!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

OMG...he's got his skirt on (sidewise, backward, inside out, catawampus)....

Guys -- IF he is a guy, and wearing a skirt -- that is a plus.

The 'minus' is any of us who are still stuck in the rut of conformity to the extent we proclaim -- it has to be bifurcated, black or blue and no paisley ties; or Horrors, his zip maybe should be....

Aside from "correctness", and God forbid we not be, skirts offer the beauty of versatility in their placement regardless of designer or label intent -- often allowing a 'better?' more comfortable fit for our own needs -- that lovely lady rump excess material can sometimes line up a hem on a beer belly too!