What people really think

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What people really think

Post by jamie001 »

Stu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am
My view is that the female monopoly on skirts is simply an unfairness, a social discrimination on the grounds of sex, and that our society should correct this by recalibrating some (not all) of its notions of what constitutes masculinity and femininity. It should be as natural for a masculine man to wear a skirt as it is for a feminine woman to wear trousers; it should be as natural for a normally-developing boy to wear a summer dress on a warm day as it is for a girl to wear denim shorts and a tee-shirt.
Theere is only one thing that needs to be recalibrated and that is the fact that men can be feminine and women can be masculine. We here on the Cafe should be proud to say that "We are feminine males". There is nothing wrong with being a feminine male. You just need to accept it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:36 pm There is only one thing that needs to be re-calibrated and that is the fact that men can be feminine and women can be masculine. We here on the Cafe should be proud to say that "We are feminine males". There is nothing wrong with being a feminine male. You just need to accept it.
Jamie, I don't know how to say this without maybe hurting your feelings but I am not a feminine male. And I don't like being told that I am! I am100% male and have no feminine traits at all. Yes I wear skirts and dresses, but not because I am feminine, but because I like the way they fit and the comfort of the styles. Clothes do not make you male or female PERIOD!!!!! We must get away from this BULL$H!T idea. Clothes are something we cover our bodies with and that's all.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:36 pm
Stu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am
My view is that the female monopoly on skirts is simply an unfairness, a social discrimination on the grounds of sex, and that our society should correct this by recalibrating some (not all) of its notions of what constitutes masculinity and femininity. It should be as natural for a masculine man to wear a skirt as it is for a feminine woman to wear trousers; it should be as natural for a normally-developing boy to wear a summer dress on a warm day as it is for a girl to wear denim shorts and a tee-shirt.
Theere is only one thing that needs to be recalibrated and that is the fact that men can be feminine and women can be masculine. We here on the Cafe should be proud to say that "We are feminine males". There is nothing wrong with being a feminine male. You just need to accept it.
MiS has been pushed back precisely because of this. Being a feminine male is fine; no one here who's a café member should have a problem with that. That's not how the simple-minded majority views this stance, though, due to the rarity of such a man, borne out of the scrutiny of men stepping outside what's acceptable for a man. Skirts are viewed as feminine — pretty much exclusive in the West; that's not gonna change any time soon. Men want to be recognized as masculine, and since skirts dispel that perception to a lot of people, MiS won't catch on until we rethink what is or isn't masculine. What Stu's point is that men trying to pass off as feminine (or even pass off as women) whilst wearing skirts only serves to underline the perceived notion that skirts are inherently feminine, when that's nonsense that should be rejected, which should be the goal of this site. It's fine to have men carry themselves in that way, but it's ultimately not the purpose.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Fred and TSH,

Thank you for your perspectives. Even though I don’t agree with them, I respect them and understand your thought process.

Regards,

Jamie - A biological male that is proud to be feminine
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:11 am TSH,

Thank you for your perspective. Even though I don’t agree with it, I respect it and understand your thought process.
I was simply reiterating Stu's own view, rather than my own. Again, men being feminine isn't even a bad thing is on its own. It's the derision that discourages men from partaking or wearing things deemed feminine. That's an observation anyone paying attention to social norms would gravitate towards. Skirts are seen as feminine — something only women can, and ONLY they can. We need to show others that skirts aren't inherently feminine, can be masculine, and should be worn regardless of sex.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Found this thread interesting and noted with interest the banter between Fred, Jamie001 and TSH. Society is made up of humans and every human has their interpretation for what they want, not others, or the person in question and this is the majority and many are bigots and hypocrites which is like talking to a brick wall with these. Some will listen and adjust. Men can have a feminine side and be biological male as to for women, a masculine side but biological female but among society labels that is another I ignore, we are just humans as a man or woman due to nature and our preferences are our own.

I am very much like Fred, a biological male, have no feminine side I simply like the style, character, personality and comfort of skirts and other items, except the bra, that society is obsessed as womenswear label.

For me I am male despite this clothing preference. I enjoy amateur building, all aspects electrics and plumbing, but not do plastering. I enjoy cars but not obsessed about them and not into sports cars, it has to have a practical aspect. I do not like pub drinking, prefer going to them for meals and light hearted social chat. I prefer mixed company not purely female or male. I do not like smoking, sport or competitive behaviour and hate intense, with a definite stance on such things like politics at times ignoring facts. I very much enjoy fell walking, high hills, distances upto 17 miles, not in dangerous weather but will go in wind, rain and fog. I will not walk in dangerous weather or do narrow high ridges, rock climbing, scrambles and sheer ascents. To some, perhaps many, as a man I have a feminine side, but I do not think so.

People in society will think what they want to suit their own objectives. Nobody is perfect in the eyes of another. That is why I am me, an individual, true to himself and will wear what I want, as I want, when I want but as a man. Most of society has this approach now for what they want be it female or male. Those who don't is because they dare not or are not allowed due to control of others. It is as e2k2houck wrote on this thread, "Wear what you want and to hell with what other people think". I replied "Fully agree".

Talking about skirts as being feminine will maintain that society stance and at times this forum does emphasise that, but on the whole it does push its aim, to promote men in skirts and the freedom to do so applies to all. But, even within this forum, we are all individuals and therefore have differing interpretations. That is why I say, be you, wear what you want for whatever reason you have and ignore the rest. Be a male with a feminine side if that is what you prefer, I don't and will not. In many aspects of life, mostly away from MIS, I let others influence me, dared not deviate from others expectations, society expectations and needed Counselling. Society will never change, it hasn't over the recorded Millenia, it never will and with regards MIS it will not either - but I have.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.