Spain - Gran Canaria

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Spain - Gran Canaria

Post by Barleymower »

I have not been abroad since 2019. Tonight we go to Spain!
Also for the first time I'll be taking three skirts.
I would appreciate any advice from those who have been skirting in Spain?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Spain - Gran Canaria

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:46 pm I have not been abroad since 2019. Tonight we go to Spain!
Also for the first time I'll be taking three skirts.
I would appreciate any advice from those who have been skirting in Spain?
I think the skirts in Spain stay mainly on the plain, so you should be good!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi BM
Enjoy the holiday.
Tourist spot with a whole load of other Brits?
I don't think anyone would even notice you in a hi-viz mankini accessorised with flashing lights.
There is also a possibility that you may see a kindred spirit.
If you do, give him our regards.
Steve.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I’ve just got back from Lanzarote and while I was there for a week I wore wrap skirts and sarongs all week, I didn’t get any negative comments from anyone, some second glances but mostly just ignored. I would advise just go for it, other people are just not interested really. I have been wearing my skirts for years when I go on holiday to Lanzarote and Fuertventura , never had a problem, enjoy.
Always happy when wearing a skirt.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I went there in 2019 and wore sarongs all the time with no adverse reactions. Just enjoyed the sun and the comfort :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Remember to apply sunscreen, especially on the parts that face upwards towards the hot African sun. The tops of the feet are obvious, the tops of the calves less so.

And have fun!

I've worn skirts all over Spain, from San Sebastian to Santiago to Seville, and it's just like wearing one in Britain, except you don't need tights in April!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I have never been on Gran Canaria, but several times in Spain, Barcelona, Cadiz, Madrid, Malaga/Costa del Sol, and Sevilla, and have been in tartan kilts, utility kilts, denim skirts, and skater skirts.
And you can wear whatever kind of skirted garment you want without problems.

Skater skirt

Short tartan kilt, Buchanan tartan

Olive AmeriKilt

Black denim skirt from GinaTricot

Black skater skirt

Sport Kilt

All pictures are from 2019 where my wife and I spent almost three weeks on Costa del Sol. On most days I was wearing the skater skirt. No negative comments, hardly any double takes. Wearing a skirt in Spain is 95% like wearing shorts.

Regarding kilts
In 2008 in Barcelona, I had some strange experience.
It was very early on a Sunday morning in September, and I was out on my own taking some photos, when on a square I was suddenly closed in by five or six 18-20 years old girls, probably on their way home from a party. Before I could react, they had me in an iron grip. One of them told me that I should just relax, they were not to take anything from me or harm me in anyway, they just wanted to find out what was under a kilt. They were amazingly strong and I had to realize that I could not possibly get out of their grip. Then they lifted the front of my kilt, and one by one they found out the truth, whereafter they under big laughter left me. It was most embarrassing, and I didn't tell my wife, when I was back to our hotel room. Had I been wearing just a skirt, it had never happened, I'm sure.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

GerdG wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:49 am I have never been on Gran Canaria, but several times in Spain, Barcelona, Cadiz, Madrid, Malaga/Costa del Sol, and Sevilla, and have been in tartan kilts, utility kilts, denim skirts, and skater skirts.

All pictures are from 2019 where my wife and I spent almost three weeks on Costa del Sol. On most days I was wearing the skater skirt. No negative comments, hardly any double takes. Wearing a skirt in Spain is 95% like wearing shorts.

Regarding kilts
In 2008 in Barcelona, I had some strange experience.
It was very early on a Sunday morning in September, and I was out on my own taking some photos, when on a square I was suddenly closed in by five or six 18-20 years old girls, probably on their way home from a party. Before I could react, they had me in an iron grip. One of them told me that I should just relax, they were not to take anything from me or harm me in anyway, they just wanted to find out what was under a kilt. They were amazingly strong and I had to realize that I could not possibly get out of their grip. Then they lifted the front of my kilt, and one by one they found out the truth, whereafter they under big laughter left me. It was most embarrassing, and I didn't tell my wife, when I was back to our hotel room. Had I been wearing just a skirt, it had never happened, I'm sure.
You are obviously in great shape. You don't get a split on calf muscles like that sitting on the sofa.
All the shots of the kilts look good too.

I would share a couple of extra thoughts. Why not wear something other than a kilt? Its clear you have a bit of style. I bet you could carry off any look you wanted.
As for the girls teasing you in the square. That's a one way street isn't it? If it had been a group of boys against a lone girl in 2008 then that would have been very wrong. A man has no defense in such a situation. Do anything and they call assault. It's all wrong.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Thanks for the replies about life in Spain for the skirted man. Yes no issues, wear what you want.
Just like the UK people pay you no bother other than a few whispers and side glances.
Women in Spain are much the same as England: leggings, tees etc. Men the same. I would say that well dressed women in Spain are a little better dressed than women in England. Well dressed men wear more collared shirts and shaped mustaches. Essentially men and women across Europe are all in trousers, leggings and tees. Down on the south side of the island its hotter and suddenly the sarongs and dresses come out, not for men though.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:24 pm
As for the girls teasing you in the square. That's a one way street isn't it? If it had been a group of boys against a lone girl in 2008 then that would have been very wrong. A man has no defense in such a situation. Do anything and they call assault. It's all wrong.
So very true, Barleymower.
However, I think, this was a once-in-a-lifetime event and that the otherwise nice looking girls might not have been quite sober.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Is that not the same as saying a drunk driver's offence is ok?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:29 am Is that not the same as saying a drunk driver's offence is ok?
Actually is any "offence" OK?
I rather think it isn't and being drunk is no mitigation.
What is more, not everyone could be so cool about being in that situation.
Steve.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I'm yet to visit Gran Canaria but have been skirted in other areas such as Costa Almeria and Majorca. Probably had the odd second glance but no negative comments from anyone. Wore a skirt for the majority of the time (apart from the journey there and back) and felt great.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Kieran wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:29 pm I'm yet to visit Gran Canaria but have been skirted in other areas such as Costa Almeria and Majorca. Probably had the odd second glance but no negative comments from anyone. Wore a skirt for the majority of the time (apart from the journey there and back) and felt great.
We are back now.
Spain has a reputation for being THE most Liberal country in he world..Wear a skirt it's fine , it's like shorts to the Spanish. My son wore his skirt too and had no problem is was all good.
There's a but of course...
As per (refrain from swearing) usual there are no other men in skirts. None. Actually, one in a supermarket but she was trans.
Somehow in superliberal Spain the status quo remains. Women wear skirts men don't. Spain is very liberal when it comes to all the deviants and the fags but real men don't wear skirts.

Spain is better than England and definitely better than Basingstoke which is the knuckle dragging pits.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:15 am Hi BM
Enjoy the holiday.
Tourist spot with a whole load of other Brits?
I don't think anyone would even notice you in a hi-viz mankini accessorised with flashing lights.
There is also a possibility that you may see a kindred spirit.
If you do, give him our regards.
Steve.
I've done that and it's been fine but not this time. We found a villa in Tenoya with three bedrooms and it's own pool for £800 for a week. Not bad for family of five. It's not always easy to find accommodation when you are five.
Mankini Borat style? I'll wear a skirt but that takes guts!