Frills and Ruffles

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
BouffantBelle

Re: Frills and Ruffles

Post by BouffantBelle »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:41 am For you who are still wary of what people might think: As flashy as it is, I didn't notice heads turning in the cafeteria, though I don't watch for such I was carrying a large tray of food and drinks across the length of the room in route to a private dining room -- but I've been there maybe 8 times now, so even this skirt on a man garners little attention, and when it does -- smiles and compliments. So, if you love your frills, ruffles and colors -- go for it!
Whoa, love it! :D

Yes, I think a large part of the problem for people who love these kind of flashy skirts, is that others will assume that we're purposely trying to garner attention by wearing them, when in reality, I love them because they draw my eye, it's got little enough to do with anyone else.

It would be nice to be able to look the way we want, without people making leaps of logic. I wonder if this is commonly how women feel, too? Image
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:41 am With a new post here today I opened the thread for a reminder about frills, ruffles and color. This evening I'm still sitting here in the skirt I wore to Meeting for Worship this morning followed by a lunch with the group in a CCRC, so as usual, scads of people about. My apology for the lousy photography, my arm was not long enough for a selfie, tried the ole mirror thing -- lousy light and added a close up under the closet light to give you an idea of the colors and pleats on this very full skirt. It is an oldie, worn thin by now, and a favorite. I get more compliments on this skirt than any other I've ever worn -- including three more today, one from a woman, and two from men, one young, one old that were among the crowd of folks celebrating a family members 100th. birthday.

For you who are still wary of what people might think: As flashy as it is, I didn't notice heads turning in the cafeteria, though I don't watch for such I was carrying a large tray of food and drinks across the length of the room in route to a private dining room -- but I've been there maybe 8 times now, so even this skirt on a man garners little attention, and when it does -- smiles and compliments. So, if you love your frills, ruffles and colors -- go for it!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Y7K3zn4DoU2NYpY6
It looks like it has a bit of weight as well which is always useful. Some of my favourites I'm cautious about. Lots of material is nice but if the dreaded wind strikes..
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

BouffantBelle wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:05 am
Faldaguy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:41 am For you who are still wary of what people might think: As flashy as it is, I didn't notice heads turning in the cafeteria, though I don't watch for such I was carrying a large tray of food and drinks across the length of the room in route to a private dining room -- but I've been there maybe 8 times now, so even this skirt on a man garners little attention, and when it does -- smiles and compliments. So, if you love your frills, ruffles and colors -- go for it!
Whoa, love it! :D

Yes, I think a large part of the problem for people who love these kind of flashy skirts, is that others will assume that we're purposely trying to garner attention by wearing them, when in reality, I love them because they draw my eye, it's got little enough to do with anyone else.

It would be nice to be able to look the way we want, without people making leaps of logic. I wonder if this is commonly how women feel, too? Image
It can be viewed from different perspectives:
1. Be flamboyant and the women will see you as trying to out dress them. Leading to resentment.
2. Be flamboyant and the women will see you in something nice and they follow suit buoyed on by your confidence.
3. Think you are gay or trans and less of a man.
BTW does more of a women mean less of a man? I don't think so personally.
One thing though, I have seen photos of men in skirts and dresses asking does this look gay? I have thought "no it's the way you are standing that is making you look gay, not the dress".
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Post note. Faldaguy you look absolutely fine in your outfit very much a MIS
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:13 am Lots of material is nice but if the dreaded wind strikes..
"The dreaded wind" :lol:
I think it's a pretty safe assumption that nobody (or very few) are excited by male upskirting, and therefore hoping to catch a cheeky peek the way they are with females, it's just not sexy, so there's no real reason for men not to employ a sensible underlayer if temperatures allow.

If I were to skirt in public, I would definitely wear something like this underneath, so that if (when) a Marilyn Moment did happen, I could just ignore it completely. Probably not going to cut a very manly figure fighting with your skirt while blushing like a schoolgirl! :mrgreen:
_20230612_103055.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Ermmmm.....Belle,

To prevent any future faux-pas, what you posted a 'sample picture' about
is something we DO NOT talk about.

See Rule #3.
3. SkirtCafe is a family-friendly fashion forum. No adult material. No discussion of clothing not meant
to be seen in public, unless it affects clothing that IS meant to be seen. Underwear is NOT public fashion.
You're a newbie, we aren't prudish but "Family Friendly".
We don't really discuss different types of underwear around small children.

Anyway, this post will slide as a 'newbie error'.

( Really, any 'full coverage' underwear will achieve your goal, but we don't talk about it here. )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:56 pm
See Rule #3.
3. SkirtCafe is a family-friendly fashion forum. No adult material. No discussion of clothing not meant
to be seen in public, unless it affects clothing that IS meant to be seen. Underwear is NOT public fashion.
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Ooh... Image Point taken. And made. I won't be "going there" again, fear not. :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

On the theme of frills and ruffles, I offer Mason Willims performing Classical Gas in 1968. This was shot close to the end of the last gasp of the "male peacock" era and point up what could have been. Note the contrasting velvet collar on the frock-coat and the ruffles as his neck.

'Tis a pity it's likely a rip of somebody's VHS recording, but it clearly points up what's possible.

Yes, I recall those days -- and I rather miss them. Everything has become so bland now.

For time contrast we have the performed by the same guy with harp accompaniment but he's much older and in "corporate drag" -- and accompaniment's attire is stunning. What a difference a few years makes. :(
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Better late than never?

Post by Grok »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:35 pm As it happens, I passed a guy today wearing a frill! No skirt, but dark trousers and a fairly smart dark jacket, over a purple top with a deep V neck edged with a frill, which must surely have come from the F side of the aisle. At a distance I couldn't discern the wearer's gender, which tends to capture my attention, but at close quarters it was quite clearly a man in his 60s, otherwise entirely masculine in appearance. A nice example of stretching the gender envelope without frightening the horses.
I am 66 years old, and I am certainly aware that most of my life is behind me.

This fellow...when he was a boy, did he have a fascination for women's tops? And as aging adult, was he willing to defy expectations to try this, because it was his particular interest?

When I was a boy, I had a particular interest in the skirts the girls wore. So in adulthood, I was willing to defy the Taboo, to wear skirted rigs in public.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:48 am This fellow...when he was a boy, did he have a fascination for women's tops? And as aging adult, was he willing to defy expectations to try this, because it was his particular interest?
Who knows Grok, I certainly know the fascination which you speak of yet I an still not sure of the "why".
Slightly back to topic, not frills exactly but the caption on this illustration read
"Gender Bending is nothing new".
Crisp certainly risked a lot more than name calling when he defied convention.
There were likely a lot more like him too.
By comparison what we do is actually a breeze.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:25 am On the theme of frills and ruffles, I offer Mason Willims performing Classical Gas in 1968. This was shot close to the end of the last gasp of the "male peacock" era and point up what could have been. Note the contrasting velvet collar on the frock-coat and the ruffles as his neck.
Hard to be sure, but could that be an old fashioned tie he is wearing? There were several types that disappeared a long time ago.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:20 pmHard to be sure, but could that be an old fashioned tie he is wearing? There were several types that disappeared a long time ago.
It could be, but recall that in the late '60s (and the video was shot in 1968) a lot of the "experimental" looks actually harked back to earlier styles. So, it could be either.

It's a pity we threw all that away.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Grok wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:20 pm Hard to be sure, but could that be an old fashioned tie he is wearing? There were several types that disappeared a long time ago.
It does look like a necktie of the "stock" type, very popular in the early 19th century I think.

It is nowhere near as frilly as the jabot, which I have seen worn with the kilt in full Highland dress.