Étalon Men's skirt/short

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Étalon Men's skirt/short

Post by r.m.anderson »

I think that SKORTS were originally designed for girls to wear and were called SCOOTERS.
These scooters had a skirt like apron across the front but the back was just a pair of shorts.
An apron across the back would get in the way of play sliding around on the butt end and
really serve no useful purpose as everyone has a rear end - some broader in the beam
than others butt nothing to fear if exposed. Really it is what's up or in front that matters.
Therefore the frontal apron - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:01 pm That's OK, it's a little girl's style from a long-ago yesteryear, and was already largely obsolescent when I was a youngster but still existed in the wild -- this being more than a half-century ago. It was also a "gateway garment" that was present at the beginning of the demise of skirts for women.
Gotcha. I doubt the original designers knew this, it's probably lost to the past. I'm not really versed on anything outside of my "era" - even some of the vintage styles I like I don't quite understand (context, how to style, etc...). I mean, even recent past stuff - like men's rompers (James Bond, looking at you) - is totally forgotten. When a company tried to revive the look, they were ridiculed on social media and it never too off (not really complaining about this, but still - even basic fight for clothes that are not that controversial get shot down).
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:17 pm These scooters had a skirt like apron across the front but the back was just a pair of shorts.
They make women's skorts like that - I bought one by accident and returned it. I see them occasionally in the summer, but they aren't that common. I figure if you are going to wear a skort, make it look like a skirt - no reason to go halfway.

The distinction with the Etalon - you don't see the inseam as the wrap opening is on the side.

I'm not trying to defend their design - I just think we need to be somewhat positive about companies actually making skirts for men.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

A skirt tailored to fit a man is laudable. Any man who has worn a skirt tailored for woman finds they sit lower due to our snake like hips. I can understand the price too. The retailer is going to have a shorter run in production which puts the price up.
It can't work though can it? Men are not going to see this skirt and flock to the shops and kit themselves out in it are they? And certainly not at that price.
More likely some men will try on a cheaper ladies skirt at home and some brave souls will go public. These guys are the lucky ones, they can choose freely among the vast, no millions of skirts out there and enjoy the experience.
The remainder of mankind looks on at the ladies enviously but dare not go into the forbidden femzone. The rest don't care.

I think it may even have a negative effect by proving that men don't want to wear skirts. My hopes lay with Gen Z who are prepared to walk right in there and claim their own styles of dress and stick two fingers up at anyone who tuts

:rock:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:23 pmGotcha. I doubt the original designers knew this, it's probably lost to the past.
I'm virtually certain that they had no idea what they were foreshadowing, Very very few people ever glimpse the future accurately even once nevermind several times in succession. Thus, there is no point in ascribing "blame".
I'm not really versed on anything outside of my "era" - even some of the vintage styles I like I don't quite understand (context, how to style, etc...).
That's what history books are for, and the number of "histories of costume" (and not in the "Halloween sense) are legion. I have several floating around somewhere, and I have access to a very nice little local library.
I mean, even recent past stuff - like men's rompers (James Bond, looking at you) - is totally forgotten. When a company tried to revive the look, they were ridiculed on social media and it never too off (not really complaining about this, but still - even basic fight for clothes that are not that controversial get shot down).
That's down to the common perception that men are supposed to be drab, dull, and "useful" -- and should stay out of the way of the women-folk. It's utter horse-droppings, of course, and note that only in humans are males the drab ones.

Now, not every guy wants to play the peacock, of of those, there are even fewer who have the chutzpah to carry it off. However, just because "you" (in the hypothetical, not personal sense)don't want that role does not confer the right to handcuff those who do -- and that's where the male self-policing comes to the fore and where things get toxic. "Social media" plays into this as well, and helps maintain the status quo, thus the negative cracks about men's rompers and (incredibly) jumpsuits.

Now, I wouldn't go for a classic romper with short legs (although those can look quite fetching on certain women); if I'm going to show my legs off, it'll be in a short skirt or dress -- and I can rock both equally well much to the liking of various women around me.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I could see a purpose for the "skirt panel" if it had pockets, functionally turning it into a sporran.I would want the option of wearing it independently of the shorts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Grok wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:00 pm I could see a purpose for the "skirt panel" if it had pockets, functionally turning it into a sporran.I would want the option of wearing it independently of the shorts.
You could simply wear a servers/waiters/waitress apron and tie it on over any desirable skirt -
Whether it has the additional accessory pockets is further optional.
The material could be leather faux leather (pleather) or some cut of denim.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:53 pm
crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:36 pm One more way to separate the sucker from his money.
In what way - besides the cost? We've seen a lot of products sold as "kilts" when they are glorified skirts - bearing little to no resemblance to a kilt. To me, those products are disingenuous and "fool" the purchaser. This product - while I'm not totally enamored with it - is at least honest about what it is, a "skirt short". Even if we don't like the design, some might.

Even if a guy buys this and wears it in skirt form to a few parties or the club, from a distance it will appear to be a skirt. The shorts are shorter than the skirt, so they (presumably) won't be seen.

I dunno - I feel like these retailers - putting out skirted products for men - is what we've been hoping for all these years. We might not like the design/color, but each product is a chip at the "old way" and it paves the way for acceptance all around. Plus, other retailers will be jealous, will do their own market research, and will do trial balloon products (re: Adidas).
I’m with you Coder. This is a clever invention to gradually and “safely” introduce men to skirting. The shorts give them an out but the look is a skirt. Basically giving the male wearer an out if confronted by his friends in a negative way. Yet if the reaction is positive, he doesn’t have to admit they’re shorts with an odd front.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:51 am
Grok wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:00 pm I
You could simply wear a servers/waiters/waitress apron and tie it on over any desirable skirt -
Whether it has the additional accessory pockets is further optional.
The material could be leather faux leather (pleather) or some cut of denim.
Good idea! :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

ScotL wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:17 am

The only better thing that this garment could have is a detachable short. So men could start wearing the shorts/skirt skort ensemble and lose the shorts when they gain the courage. I have a few skirts that snap in the middle. Create a “shorts” look. I once wore them in a foreign city where no one could possibly know me. Went out snapped and walked a mile or two before gaining the courage to unsnap.

This has been mentioned a few times before-a "stealth skirt" that resembles short. There may be central pleats fore and aft, and sometimes a means to fasten front and back hems between the legs.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:38 pm My hopes lay with Gen Z who are prepared to walk right in there and claim their own styles of dress and stick two fingers up at anyone who tuts
:wink:

Right on BM and if a ten year old has the cojones, then what need has a grown man of a stealth or pseudo skirt?
Worst we'd face is a bit of banter or ribbing, the boy is more likely to get his ass kicked if his peers object.
Is it not up to us to lead by example, maybe make it easier on the KIDS who may not be so confident or indeed, SUPPORTED.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:59 pmIs it not up to us to lead by example, maybe make it easier on the KIDS who may not be so confident or indeed, SUPPORTED.
Indeed, and are we not shirking our responsibilities if we do not support our children and our kin?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Where was this announcement for the demise of skirts for women? I and seemingly a lot of women where I live missed it too. Sure, more women are wearing pants and leggings these days, but there is a lotta women wearing skirts/dresses here. Makes me jealous especially in the summer when I’m at work wearing long sleeves and pants sweating off the proverbials.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Men have simply to wake up to the fact that they do actually have a choice.
Imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery so just do as they do in whatever form you fancy.
As for comfort, that is then your own responsibility and no one else's.
Think of how the little kid would handle the situation.
Steve.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:17 pm I think that SKORTS were originally designed for girls to wear and were called SCOOTERS.
These scooters had a skirt like apron across the front but the back was just a pair of shorts.
An apron across the back would get in the way of play sliding around on the butt end and
really serve no useful purpose as everyone has a rear end - some broader in the beam
than others butt nothing to fear if exposed. Really it is what's up or in front that matters.
Therefore the frontal apron - - -
Those types of skorts are commonly worn here by girls as part of their school uniform.
Basically a pair of shorts with a front apron, opening on the left side, resembling a skirt at the front.
Equally common for the girls school uniforms is the pleated skirt that resembles a kilt skirt, again with the apron opening on the left.