yahoo!Life / Seventeen: Lil Nas X Says He Felt "Free" After Wearing a Skirt on Tour

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

yahoo!Life / Seventeen: Lil Nas X Says He Felt "Free" After Wearing a Skirt on Tour

Post by Coder »

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lil-nas ... 00020.html
"I was really nervous about going out on stage in front of my family and everybody in my cute, little Coach skirt," he told the outlet. "But as soon as I walked out, I felt like I was setting my younger self free."
There were a bunch of articles, but I couldn't tell if they were press releases or just derivatives of the Seventeen article. Still, this should give some of us hope - not every celebrity is going out in a skirt confident and emboldened. He's worn skirts in the past before, a cursory Google search indicates, it would seem.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: yahoo!Life / Seventeen: Lil Nas X Says He Felt "Free" After Wearing a Skirt on Tour

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:41 am https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lil-nas ... 00020.html
"I was really nervous about going out on stage in front of my family and everybody in my cute, little Coach skirt," he told the outlet. "But as soon as I walked out, I felt like I was setting my younger self free."
There were a bunch of articles, but I couldn't tell if they were press releases or just derivatives of the Seventeen article. Still, this should give some of us hope - not every celebrity is going out in a skirt confident and emboldened. He's worn skirts in the past before, a cursory Google search indicates, it would seem.
Not a look I think Id be wearing but definitely encouraging to read that. The fact he was nervous too makes him seem more real to me.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: yahoo!Life / Seventeen: Lil Nas X Says He Felt "Free" After Wearing a Skirt on Tour

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:21 am Not a look I think Id be wearing but definitely encouraging to read that. The fact he was nervous too makes him seem more real to me.
That skirt is a real eye catcher by design, and I rather doubt that it would be worn under any routine circumstance by anyone.
If I ever get invited to a red-carpet event, then I'd keep it in mind.
There is a point about being nervous Scott and I have never been a "just do it" advocate either.
"Bravery is not the absence of fear but your behaviour in the face of it".
The really awesome part is when you discover just how to beat that fear, not once but twice, three times, and forever.
Then you can take centre stage in your own life.
BTW, our Lil Nas was probably as worried about not making enough sales as from simply wearing a skirt.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:13 am
BTW, our Lil Nas was probably as worried about not making enough sales as from simply wearing a skirt.
Steve.
Why call him out for being worried about sales? What’s wrong with worrying about your livelihood/career?

I choose to take him at face value and that his comment was taken as a male about to wear a traditionally female garment.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:45 pm
Steve.
Why call him out for being worried about sales? What’s wrong with worrying about your livelihood/career?

I choose to take him at face value and that his comment was taken as a male about to wear a traditionally female garment.
Scott, you appear to wish to see the negative side of anything that doesn't quite meet with you own take on the world.
I think we had better just move on as I have no wish to cause a flame war.
For what it is worth though, there is nothing in my observation that implies any "calling out" or that there is anything wrong in having job worries.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:20 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:45 pm
Steve.

Scott, you appear to wish to see the negative side of anything that doesn't quite meet with you own take on the world.
I think we had better just move on as I have no wish to cause a flame war.
For what it is worth though, there is nothing in my observation that implies any "calling out" or that there is anything wrong in having job worries.
Steve.
With all due respect, I find your reply remarkably ironic. I have been shocked by how much negativity I have read on this cafe. Every time an article is written about men wearing skirts, the boo birds fly. Thoughts of “celebrities only wear a skirt to attract attention won’t help us at all” to “trans people are making it harder for men wearing skirts” to “ companies making drab boring color skirts for men will damn men into wearing drab boring skirts” seem rampant to me.

I look at all of these things as good things for men wearing skirts. I see them as positive.

I made a comment about Lil Nas admitting his fears wearing a skirt as a normalizing thing expressed similarly by many on this cafe. I loved it because I felt it showed his human side. I feel you trivialized his fears from a man worried about wearing a skirt to a “rock star” worried about his bottom line. I didn’t read anything in that article about his financial concerns.

But I agree with you though, let’s drop it. I mean no disrespect but I just don’t enjoy my discussions with you. We don’t see eye to eye and I have felt you’ve been antagonistic towards me. If you say that wasn’t your intention, I’ll accept that but best for all if we just coexist but don’t interact.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Steve, I’m with Scott on this one. The comment about sales concerns was, in my view, snarky/negative, whee no such comment was required.

Sometimes, just sometimes, seeing the positive - even with a slightly naive perspective - is the better response.

Ray
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I gotta say... I'm diggin' the shiny silver.

The actual style of skirt and top isn't my thing, but I'd love to get my hands on a shiny silver colored skirt more in my style...

I also saw a silver colored car the other day.. not grey, actual shiny silver. I thought it was really cool! I'd love to give Jax a paint job like that!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:12 am I gotta say... I'm diggin' the shiny silver.

The actual style of skirt and top isn't my thing, but I'd love to get my hands on a shiny silver colored skirt more in my style...
Confession time: I have a pleated skirt that silver/shiny. It's ridiculous, and I have no idea when I would wear such a thing. It's much longer, I think midi length. It had to have been part of a Poshmark bundle to get a % off the price, because I don't think I'd have bought it alone. However...

in the recent past I purchased a pair of shiny silver tennis shoes. They sort of fulfilled my need to buy a pair of late 1990's/early 2000's era shiny shoes (eg, vinyl coated airwalks, not sure the official name of them, something I had always wanted in grade school). They go great with a midi length forest green leather skirt I have - just need a reason and place to go. Likely never to happen.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:35 pm Steve, I’m with Scott on this one. The comment about sales concerns was, in my view, snarky/negative, whee no such comment was required.

Sometimes, just sometimes, seeing the positive - even with a slightly naive perspective - is the better response.

Ray
What exactly is wrong with saying that a business' prime concern is with the bottom line?
This applies to a sole trader and equally to a multi-national. Profit equals survival, loss death.
Can you honestly tell me that you believe Lil Nas's motives were so pure that he'd have knowingly risked the success of the tour by wearing that skirt or anything else for that matter.
If he did that would not have been naive, it would have been plain stupid.
Simple fact, entertainers will always "play to the gallery", it is just what they do.
One last thought, I wonder how many of his male fans will try a skirt as a result or females actively encourage their partners to do so.
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:25 am just need a reason and place to go.
Only reason that you need is that you want to and the venue, wherever your fancy takes you!
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:25 am
moonshadow wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:12 am I gotta say... I'm diggin' the shiny silver.

Confession time: I have a pleated skirt that silver/shiny. It's ridiculous, and I have no idea when I would wear such a thing. It's much longer, I think midi length. It had to have been part of a Poshmark bundle to get a % off the price, because I don't think I'd have bought it alone. However...

in the recent past I purchased a pair of shiny silver tennis shoes. They sort of fulfilled my need to buy a pair of late 1990's/early 2000's era shiny shoes (eg, vinyl coated airwalks, not sure the official name of them, something I had always wanted in grade school). They go great with a midi length forest green leather skirt I have - just need a reason and place to go. Likely never to happen.
Midi versus knee length. I swear they should mean the same thing. But guess midi is longer? Mid calf? So does midi equal calf length?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:02 pm Midi versus knee length. I swear they should mean the same thing. But guess midi is longer? Mid calf? So does midi equal calf length?
https://www.topofstyle.com/blog/women/t ... -pictures/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Steve,

Our views differ, as do our perceptions of the tone behind your statement. Best leave it at that.

Ray
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

To muddy the waters I didn’t take offense or read anything overly negative into Stevies statement. Fear can be driven by many things - not just loss of friendships (alienating yourself by being different) but also loss of income (loss of fans who don’t like how you dress). Some of my concerns and worries about going to work skirted - however unfounded - center around loss of status in the office, loss of opportunities to advance, and those aren’t “pure of heart” in an authentic or “be myself” sort of way. Those are callous, calculated decisions to hide my style. But if I was being interviewed I wouldn’t mention money playing a role because I’d sound vapid or could hurt my coworkers feelings. Truth be told, I have a million fears and would only readily reveal certain ones because I would want to maintain an image. Would that make me less authentic? Sure - but celebrities cultivate a brand. While I may be cynical of their motives, I’ll take them at face value unless its something important - like listening to their moral stances/outrage, etc…