Never-mind 'Boyfriend'. How about 'Girlfriend'?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Never-mind 'Boyfriend'. How about 'Girlfriend'?

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:18 pm
TheSkirtedMan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:19 pm
jamodu wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm Out shopping this week, I stumbled on 'Boyfriend Pyjamas'. These were obviously in a Men's style, fashioned for Women's proportions. On past occasions, I have similarly seen 'Boyfriend Cardigans', 'Boyfriend Shirts' and 'Boyfriend Shorts' (underwear). On the radio today, some young Girl, on discovering a pair of Shorts that she wanted to buy, was informed that the style was for Boys only. Her response was to state that it was 'sexist' for the aforementioned Shorts to be only available for the opposite gender.

This is another example of double-standards in society and in the fashion industry. For the sake of equality, how about 'Girlfriend Skirts', Girlfriend Dresses' and 'Girlfriend Tights', for example, being similarly available for Men to buy?
The usual society double standards between men and women with regards clothing choice. Created because women made a stand against their clothing gender stereotype and men haven't. Latter not helped by the vast majority of men not wanting to invade the female wardrobe due to society perception of masculinity and feminine and masculinity being the master appearance. Therefore men like us on this forum need to stand tall and stake their claim accepting being part of a minority will not be easy. The vast majority of women, well nearly all women, took a stand to break their clothing stereotype so it was easier to achieve.

Be, you, be yourself I say and I do stake my claim for clothing choice as a man very actively in my public life.
Women are not exactly cheering men on to liberate their wardrobes. They:
1. Giggle and smirk at men in skirts
2. Ignore them with distain
3. Take them off the potential partner list
4. Threaten divorce to partners who venture into the forbidden skirted zone.
5. Tell them they are ridiculous and ask if there's 'anything else"

Men were not in favour of women breaking dress codes why would women be helpful now?
1- very rare that has happened to me. First few months I recall more but self consciousness on my part did not help. These days, occasional look but then get on with their lives. Last giggle, honestly cannot remember so long ago.
2 - Some do ignore me, but then others are ignored for other reasons. My interaction with society as a man in a skirt is no different to when I was I full time society labelled men clothing.
3 - I have been approached a few times whilst in skirts asking for a date and accepting when told happily married. Lucky woman are the replies usually with statements do like your individuality. Twice when in male attire and both flaunted off when rejected complete opposite to the several when in a skirt. Believe this point or not, it's fact. In fact on two separate occasions two women have actually sexually touched me whilst in society labelled female clothing and I just moved away. As a biological male I am well aware of society attitude towards a male claim as opposed to a female claim.
4 - Never an issue in my marriage, full support. My wife is predominantly in skirts and dresses herself. All females in my active life as friends are supportive too.
5 - Within my volunteer role as Room Steward at Historic Hall, 8 years now, two have implied such a statement but they were both women in very much male style clothing and short hair. My reply of I choose my outfit for the same reason as you was not good enough. Therefore the response was, freedom of choice, expression and individuality applies to all, not just females. Perhaps look in the nearest mirror and ask yourself why am I such a sexest bigot. On those two occasions that stopped the conversation and on both nearby visitors joined in on my support.

As stated in subsequent reply above, it is not all women, some, and a few men. Yes some may harbour negative thoughts privately but then we are all guilty of that. The world is to big to be friends with all and get to know all and it is human nature to query something different and a few make their perceptions known.

At the end of the day, I concur with Stevie when he said men should stop bleating and get proactive. Women have achieved their clothing choice by making a stand and yes initially against a society majority of negativity.

The success for men is, my perception, how you handle and portray the invasion of the female wardrobe. The style, matching colours etc, but more importantly how you, your persona is portrayed. Each to their own, each to their own style choice. Mine is as shown on my web site, I have new photos to put up. My volunteer role includes digital presentations, guided group tours, well received, never challenged and apart from an occasional look, but then that's human nature, don't we all look when something different catches our eye, I have good conversation in this area, recommendations to other speaker organisers and emails of thanks to the Hall after the tour. I am skirted, female labelled tops, scarf, camisole always on show and yes I do wear slips, and yes often deliberately on show via open buttons at the bottom of the skirt, side slit skirts and quite often with the lace evenly showing around the hem. Yes some privately will think negative remarks, but they will too on others for another reason. I get many, many compliments not just on my style and colour but for being the individual. I am as much as possible in my preferred clothing choice, including theatre, days out, shopping, eating out, hotels, doctors, dentists, hospitals even as a patient. Recent 6 day stay at a small hotel in North Wales staff shook hands with me on departure - by day in walking trousers, by evening in a skirt.

For a year or two friends, married, late 70's always been OK with me and met them after going public in a skirt asked us to join a Ceilidh group, stressing it is a group who are supportive of new Ceilidh dancers. We tried in Jan 2023, still go, yes very supportive and yes I go skirted. One couple couldn't cope but the others were fine and the next time we felt like long time members.

Your points may be your experience they are not mine. I have said this time and time again on this forum, men, if you want freedom of choice to wear that skirt then do so.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

TheSkirtedMan wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:06 am For a year or two friends, married, late 70's always been OK with me and met them after going public in a skirt asked us to join a Ceilidh group, stressing it is a group who are supportive of new Ceilidh dancers. We tried in Jan 2023, still go, yes very supportive and yes I go skirted.
Ceilidhs and Contras are excellent places to practice 'gender swaping':

Men in trousers dancing as men.
Ladies in skirts dancing as ladies.
Ladies in trousers dancing as ladies.
Ladies in trousers dancing as men.
Men in trousers dancing as ladies.
Men in skirts dancing as men.
Men in skirts dancing as ladies.
Ladies in skirts dancing as men.

All that matters is that you turn up at the right place in the sets at the right time.
One couple couldn't cope but the others were fine and the next time we felt like long time members.
More likely they couldn't cope with the dancing and were looking for an excuse.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

The concept of the ceilidh is well-known in Scotland and is an excellent evening out. It can take a range of formats. I made mistake once (about 30 years ago) of accepting an invitation to a ceilidh in the Home Counties of England. No gender fluidity of any kind going on and I don't recall anyone wearing a kilt. The dancing was Morris Dancing. I know we should be open minded about the traditions of neighbouring countries but many Scots just cannot take Morris Dancing seriously, seeing it as one (very small) step removed from a Monty Python sketch. And I think it actually featured in a Two Ronnies sketch.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:49 pm .. I made mistake once (about 30 years ago) of accepting an invitation to a ceilidh in the Home Counties of England. No gender fluidity of any kind going on and I don't recall anyone wearing a kilt. The dancing was Morris Dancing.
You must have had exceptionally bad luck, most ceilidhs are English/Scottish folk dancing, with bits of everything else thrown in.  Perhaps 30 years ago there were a few strictly conventional folk dance clubs, and gender fluidity was probably confined to late-night festival ceilidhs, but none of the ceilidhs I can remember ever did morris dancing.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.