Before I Wore Skirts I Never...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Before I Wore Skirts I Never...

Post by Modoc »

Before I wore skirts I never gave a second thought to what kind of shoes I was wearing. That is the most awkward part for me, pairing skirts with footwear.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Modoc wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:39 pm Before I wore skirts I never gave a second thought to what kind of shoes I was wearing. That is the most awkward part for me, pairing skirts with footwear.
I think that would be the case for most of us!
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Spirou003 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:04 pm ... a few days after I have been attacked by a man with a knife (my wound was very fragile and hurting). I let you imagine how uncomfortable with the man I was!
How awful! I hope you have recovered fully.

Were you wearing a skirt at the time?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

... got recognised by strangers.

I was in a bar yesterday, one I had never been to before. (The Crown Hotel in Callander, not close to where I live.) A woman asked me "Excuse me, were you at Sunshine on Leith in Pitlochry yesterday?" (Not near my home or Callander.) Well, I had indeed been there, so I said so. As I'd been in a skirt both times, I had an inkling of how she recognised me. But it seemed a bit self-centred to ask what she thought of my sartorial choices, so I went for the bland "Did you enjoy the show?" And after we agreed it was good, the conversation ended. Had she commented on my skirts, as the woman behind me in the queue for a coffee at the theatre had done, we could have had a nice (hopefully) wee chat about it. But she didn't try to.

I can't help feeling this was a missed opportunity to spread the word about men's skirts. Was it?

Maybe I'm just happy not being the centre of attention. If the day ever dawns when a man in a skirt is not recognisable for it, I'll be delighted. In the meantime, I'm willing to be out there walking the walk. But I don't feel the need to talk about my skirts unless asked. They're just what I wear. Am I too reticent?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

skirtyscot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:08 am ... got recognised by strangers.

I was in a bar yesterday, one I had never been to before. (The Crown Hotel in Callander, not close to where I live.) A woman asked me "Excuse me, were you at Sunshine on Leith in Pitlochry yesterday?" (Not near my home or Callander.) Well, I had indeed been there, so I said so. As I'd been in a skirt both times, I had an inkling of how she recognised me. But it seemed a bit self-centred to ask what she thought of my sartorial choices, so I went for the bland "Did you enjoy the show?" And after we agreed it was good, the conversation ended. Had she commented on my skirts, as the woman behind me in the queue for a coffee at the theatre had done, we could have had a nice (hopefully) wee chat about it. But she didn't try to.

I can't help feeling this was a missed opportunity to spread the word about men's skirts. Was it?

Maybe I'm just happy not being the centre of attention. If the day ever dawns when a man in a skirt is not recognisable for it, I'll be delighted. In the meantime, I'm willing to be out there walking the walk. But I don't feel the need to talk about my skirts unless asked. They're just what I wear. Am I too reticent?
Alistair I'm guilty of such things myself. My upbringing tells me not to draw attention to myself, boast or search for ego boosts. I'm not saying that you were in anyway being boastful etc.

I do not think it was a missed opportunity.

She talked to you and from that conversation through observing your mannerisms, she would have understood quite a lot about you. Women are very perceptive.

What we can do and what we should do is reassure other men in skirts when we see them and be seen by other people when we do that.

On our meet up there was a small missed opportunity by the group. A man approached the group and commented on us all wearing skirts. He looked genuinely interested. We said hello and carried on with our conversation. I feel like I could have done more and invited him to sit with us.

I need to do more of it myself.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:52 am On our meet up there was a small missed opportunity by the group. A man approached the group and commented on us all wearing skirts. He looked genuinely interested. We said hello and carried on with our conversation. I feel like I could have done more and invited him to sit with us.
We could have done: actually it was the tartans he had noticed, so I guess we could have said that it wasn't the tartan that was the point.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

skirtyscot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:08 am ... got recognised by strangers.

No, I don't think you were too reticent; in fact I think it was the better approach. Had she wanted to pursue the matter, she would/could have easily done so; but by just carrying on in an absolutely normal manner as one would regardless of dress helps confirm that MIS is just another normal thing.

I do find my skirt wearing pretty much insures I am remembered when I return to a place of business, and that usually also translate to prompt, courteous and helpful service. I usually got that when pants were more my norm -- but not until I had been there often enough to be recognized, but a MIS has the advantage of being more readily recognized! [We went to a big box store Friday -- a "Black Friday" time, and they had a person asking all the patrons coming in if they had a product in mind, so he could let the staff know to expect them since it was so busy -- we told him, and he directed us back saying he would send the staff our description. On the way out I commented to my wife, I wonder what descriptions he sends -- she immediately said -- "A man wearing a skirt" -- so obvious, but so routine for me that it did not cross my mind!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:33 am Had she wanted to pursue the matter, she would/could have easily done so; but by just carrying on in an absolutely normal manner as one would regardless of dress helps confirm that MIS is just another normal thing.
That's what I think, but you can't tell how it comes across to the other person.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Bill

Post by Bill »

...thought my wife would be buying kilts for me.

On the home stretch of our cross-country road trip in September she bought this for me at the Mall of America. It's a GotKilt utility kilt - had my size hanging on a rack. She said I need a new utility kilt because my old Amerikilt was getting frayed around the edges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

had such colorful clothing
felt such freedom
noticed woman in skirts and thought "I would wear that"
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Before I wore skirts, I would wear the same thing all day long. Now I will change two or three times a day as the sport moves me. Freedom is what I feel.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

e2k2houck wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:57 am
I do this as well
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Modoc wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:21 am
e2k2houck wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:57 am
I do this as well
Same here, but I've gotten to the point where I just think "people in skirts".
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Never had to empty the contents of my handbag (used tissues, coins, old SIM cards, receipts etc)... though I guess it's more of an accessory of my skirt.

Perhaps I am ovetthinking things but worrying about when nature calls, especially when in a tight skirt... and dealing with coordination of shoes to bags :oops:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

new2skirts wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:12 pm Perhaps I am overthinking things but worrying about when nature calls, especially when in a tight skirt... and dealing with coordination of shoes to bags :oops:
You're not overthinking a bit. Some of the most awkward times I've had are when wearing a skirt and using a large public men's room. I usually opt for the stalls because hiking up a midi-length skirt to pee in the urinals seems more likely to draw unwanted attention. At least that is how I see it. Shorter skirts are easier to deal with as long as you don't have to fuss with leggings or tights and such.
― Anaïs Nin