Lucky find

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Lucky find

Post by couyalair »

Beautifully sunny day, at last -- we,ve been waiting long enough in France -- so I went off for a ride and came across a "vide grenier" , à street market Where people bring to sell any thing they no longer need. Wandering around out of curiosity, I saw a plain jeans skirt hanging up. Two euros, so I took it.
Here it is, as good as new.
No, sorry, I am informed that it has too many pixels, and I don,t know how to reduce it on this iPad. But I,ll try!

Nothing special to look at, just a simple skirt, nothing special but the price!

I probably would not have worn anything so short a few years ago, but I am not worried any more, and it will be better for cycling than they old kilt I went out in this morning.

Martin
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Lucky find

Post by skirtilator »

If I'd just know what couyalair actually means. :oops: Cycling in a Macabi Skirt is a hassle. The back of the skirt is zipped up to shape a pair of trousers but it slips around the pant strap. As I purchased it I had a garment for all occasions in mind. Darn. :roll: Albeit that, it is great. The waist is fully ajustable and you can use the side-straps to have a short skirt. :D
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

You should be able to install Xnview on an ipad, and then you can easily have any number of pixels you like. Try 1000 pixels for this site.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

skirtilator wrote:If I'd just know what couyalair actually means. :oops: Cycling in a Macabi Skirt is a hassle. The back of the skirt is zipped up to shape a pair of trousers but it slips around the pant strap. As I purchased it I had a garment for all occasions in mind. Darn. :roll: Albeit that, it is great. The waist is fully ajustable and you can use the side-straps to have a short skirt. :D
I must admit I find the Macabi system doesn't really work on me, as I start to use the clips and straps, instead of a billowing skirt I end up with bags of cloth which catch on my knees or on things I am walking past. Most of the time I find it easier to just "manage the skirt" rather than prat about with the clips. I have found that the side clips help a bit when I am clambering around my boat setting sails etc. the long Macabi is a bit too long at times. I tried the Macabi once when wading a deep and fast flowing stream, the clips etc. turned it into a drogue chute, it was much better loose and I worried about the clips or studs getting torn out of it, they weren't though, the skirts are well made.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I don,t know how my short jeans skirt got turned into a macabi, but the two are at opposite extremes of the spectrum. From the photos I have seen of the macabi with its vast. Quantities of billowing cloth, it,s the last think I would want to wear. Wearing it short and bunched up round the hips makes no sense either, IMHO.
Mine is plain with no more cloth than needed -- better than a kilt in that respect -- nothing to flap around or get caught in the cogs and wheels, nothing to irritate between the legs.
Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:From the photos I have seen of the macabi with its vast. Quantities of billowing cloth, it,s the last think I would want to wear. Wearing it short and bunched up round the hips makes no sense either, IMHO.
I rather like my Macabi, but then again I quite like full skirts. I've never even tried using the various clips and whatnot to shorten it, nor have I done anything more rigourous than going sailing in it. To me, it's just a nice full functional skirt, and a good bit tougher than some of my fancier bits. That's quite a different animal than a short denim mini.

As far as much of "Skirtilator's" commentary goes, I'm frequently tempted to haul this sign out: :troll:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

To get down to 256 kb, I had to get off my legs and my happy smile. What a pity!!!
image.jpg
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Speaking of lucky finds,
Since I had the problem when I tried to order a pleated skirt off Midas, I went looking on Ebay, now waiting for a tartan pleated skirt (slightly below the knee I think), and two slightly above the knee skirts, a black denim with pockets and a green cotton with pockets. Oh and a vanilla yellow long light gypsy skirt. The cheapest was £4 and the most expensive was less than £20. Oh and after pinging off an email, it is good to know that Midas is still going, the site just broke, Lance is away at the moment but once he gets back he will no doubt get the ancient site working again.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

Excellent skirt and what a bargain. It is very similar to the one I have recently bought from Marks & Spencer. Mine however cost considerably more (GBP25/EUR30). The skirt is great for bike riding, but I always ensure I have dark underwear on. As a comment mostly for newbie skirters, in common with other folks, I can report that when I'm wearing my over the knee denim skirt I get zero reaction from the world and his wife. The "invisible denim" effect!

I have also noticed that as the century has progressed there are less and less skirts in charity shops and car boot sales. Evidence that women are becoming mainly trouser wearers?
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Jock wrote:... I can report that when I'm wearing my over the knee denim skirt I get zero reaction from the world and his wife. The "invisible denim" effect!
I've just experienced it at a local supermarket. I've often shopped there when wearing a kilt and received a few odd comments, smiles or furtive glances, but this evening I wore a below-the-knee denim skirt and got no reaction whatsoever; no comments, no second glances, not even nods of approval or recognition ...absolutely nothing.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Jock wrote:
I have also noticed that as the century has progressed there are less and less skirts in charity shops and car boot sales. Evidence that women are becoming mainly trouser wearers?
This would seem to correlate with comments about fewer and fewer new skirts for sale.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Two months ago, I traveled to France in heavy winter wear and continued using thick woolen kilts through May -- especially when the communal heating was turned off. Now however temperatures have soared into the 30s and I have almost nothing light to wear.
How glad I am to have gotten the 2€ denim skirt mentioned above. I,ve been wearing it most of the time. It is perfect. Two or three years ago, I probably would not have gone out and about in anything so short, but now I am really happy to do so.
I alternate with another lucky find from eBay, a very simple plain khaki cotton wrap I ordered back in winter, after waiting months for an opportunity to wear it.

Martin
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ah well, this is where planning and preparation comes in. I have bought loads of skirts that are short, as in mid-thigh, and light in material and colour. I am wearing a red mini that's made of polyamide/elastane and has a built in pair of knickers. Absolutely superb in the hot weather we are having at the moment. It goes well with the White T-shirt ( with England cross ) that I am wearing ready for the match ( the England/Italy World Cup one in case someone is looking at this post from sometime in the far future ). But I have lots of others such as beach skirts so that I remain cool during summer. I picked them all up cheap either on ebay or on sale in shops. The average that I have paid for all my skirts is £1.87 ( I did get some given from MOH ) with a similar amount for postage.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.