scruffy blokes

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Jock
Distinguished Member

scruffy blokes

Post by Jock »

I have noticed that as the 21st century has progressed, men have become scruffier. This is particularly so in the 20s and 30s ages. The look is of unkempt hair and a 3 day growth of stubble.
Quite often they will be accompanied by some really well turned out female, which seems to accentuate their untidy look.

Now I know that you shouldn't judge a person by their looks, but IMHO these scruffy blokes look like wasters, with no pride in themselves. All I know is that if two men turned up for interview and one had the stubble and untidy hair and the other was smart, then it's the smart one who would get the better consideration from me.

What do others feel about this fashion and the reasons behind it?
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: scruffy blokes

Post by couyalair »

Quite agree. It seems to be just a question of fashion. Some footballer adopts the look and all the sheep follow.
And not just the youngsters. A look that I think really ridiculous is when men let grey stubble grow on their chin whereas their hair is still black )naturally or dyed).
Spain,s president is an obvious example, but I can,t say the opposition leader looks any smarter with grey stubble and a nearly bald head. There are plenty of other prominent men following this senseless fashion. It beats me!
If you want to keep looking young (with or without dark hair), shave off that awful stubble!

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:If you want to keep looking young (with or without dark hair), shave off that awful stubble!
Or grow a proper beard. Stubble just means you didn't take the time to do anything about it today, indicating laziness.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

"Short back and sides and a little off the top please."
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Well, I agree it can look untidy, but it has become accepted in most places. Myself, I shave maybe every other day, sometimes I'll leave it for 3 days, though I don't like it for myself, the feel starts to bother me, and the grey really starts to show. I agree that clean shaven does make me look younger, this is particularly true of my head. Full chrome dome drops about 15 years off my apparent age compared to short and greying close crop. It's been a long while since I had a beard, but I could grow a pretty fine example in short order, which make me look about 25 years older!

It comes down to not having time. If I don't set aside a significant portion of my morning, I don't get a decent shave. Electric isn't gonna cut it (sorry!) and the heavy beard with light skin means good blade, time, and a decent level of consciousness is needed. 2 of those are hard to find in the morning.

I try to counteract the "scruffy" theme by taking a little more care with clothing. For the most part I am grateful that it is accepted.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Uhg! The scruffier I see folks out and about the more inspired I am to look better. It seems to be a way of life in America. Clean up when you go to town, kids.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

There is an object lesson here: be careful with judgement calls. A scruffy three day beard is as much a fashion statement as long hair, earrings or a knee length pleated skirt.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Too right! We've left the 1950s far behind.
Me StyleJ is a great fashion statement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

BobM wrote:There is an object lesson here: be careful with judgement calls. A scruffy three day beard is as much a fashion statement as long hair, earrings or a knee length pleated skirt.
The interesting thing to note here is that long hair takes a certain amount of upkeep before it gets matted and starts turning into dreadlocks and wildlife habitat on its own (I know this first-hand, mind). Similarly, proper choice of a skirt should be undertaken with care and consideration, much, as I suppose earrings would be if you change them out frequently or get any fancier than simple studs.

Stubble, on the other hand, takes no effort whatsoever. That, in and of itself, tends to indicate laziness.

I rather suspect it's down to the fact that guys shouldn't care about what they look like. We're told every day, day after day, that we shouldn't care; we're given explicit examples of those who don't dare -- and the lemmings are learning. Tell the lie often enough and it becomes truth. We need to be wary of that.

I got to contemplating the marginalization of men this morning on my drive into work, and upon reflection it's really quite amazing how it's simply "not cool" to be a man any more. The stereotype is almost singularly of a beer-swilling lout who behaves badly in public and beats his wife at home. When was the last time you actually saw a male role-model held up in public who wasn't (a) some form of celebrity, (b) some random jock, or (c) somebody similarly utterly repellent?

Whatever happened to the notion that men could take pride in their work, set good examples worthy of emulation, or be sensitive and empathetic human beings rather than Neanderthals (libel, there, on Neanderthals, mind)? What gives?

Being a prick in public is not the sign of being a man -- it's the sign of being a prick. Just as in fashion, men are getting crowded into ever-increasingly-tiny containers that define what's "acceptable", and whatever that's outside those containers is entirely unacceptable -- and we acquiesce. I don't know who (or what) is calling the shots, but the shot I'd like to call is to put a big fat slug into that entity so we can reclaim our dignity and our honour.

I usually care about how I look; I care about those around me and try quite hard not to be an inconvenience; when the need arises, I actively try to help; I am polite; I have pride, yet am humble at the same time; I am competent in what I do; I am different and I am unique, and I take pride in that. I am a man. Get over it -- better yet, "Get with the program!"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:. . . as I suppose earrings would be if you change them out frequently or get any fancier than simple studs.
As a matter of fact, I do change my earrings (all studs) every day. I coordinate or compliment the rest of my clothing. :wink:
The only time I've sported stubble is when I've been backpacking. I've found that there's nothing like a three day stubble to take the sharp off a razor blade.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Like prtlysct I don't shave every day probably every 3 days. It's because my skin doesn't take to being shaved every day and if I tried would become very sore. Fortunately my facial hair is quite fair so it isn't noticeable until it becomes fairly long. Interestingly I don't have any grey hairs except a few appearing in my beard now. I have long hair which I normally wear in a ponytail.

I was brought up to dress smartly and always try to have a coordinating ensemble. Although at one stage in my youth as I started dating MOH she did spot me with orange trainers and red socks!!!! She soon "cured" me of that and stopped me committing other fashion crimes. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

The biggest fashion crime is cargo pants.
Not to mention "hoodies" and track pants.
Total lazyness.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

On beards. In I think 1965 a friend Ron Thornhill and I decided we'd not shave our beards.
We've still got them.
I have my mustache separated, and modelled on the one a persron in the news, Ted Turner, a newspaper tycoon had in a Time magazine photo. That is, down from the nose and as straight allong the bottom as pos.
Shave the neck and have beard quite even from sideburns right around.
Ill see if there's a close up photo.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I started wearing a beard in March 1996. Except for a couple times when I rocked a goatee about 10 years ago, I've worn a full beard... Just don't like shaving (at least my face - body hair from the neck down, I can do without).

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Dug up this photo my friend Allan took at a music gig over summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qa8y1dIv9Y
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.