Empowerment of women/disempowerment of men

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Empowerment of women/disempowerment of men

Post by Sinned »

For the past few years I have noticed in advertisements and programmes that women have been shown as being the cleverer or more knowledgeable person who "puts down" the weaker, stupider male. Even to the deliberate humiliation of the male and I'm sure if the sexes were reversed in that situation then there would have rightly been quite a few comments about it. My thoughts crystallised last night with an advertisement about holidays and it was the woman who pointed out that if the man had used X comparison site then it would have saved him all the bother of searching all the other holiday companies. This is just typical and as I have ( been forced in some cases ) to watch some of the children's programmes coming from the USA in how many of them the girl is the one that takes the lead or solves the dilemma. I am not sexist and know that each sex has their strengths and weaknesses but it just seems that the male of the species is apparently being shown to be stupider than they are. I wonder if we should be disturbed about this? If I think on I'll post a few examples although I'm sure that the more discerning among you could also do so.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Empowerment of women/disempowerment of men

Post by Jim »

With all the dumb blonde women jokes and the woman as sex object ads, I think, on the average, men are treated better. But if you denounce the sexism against women, you have just cause to also denounce the sexism against men.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

First thing I found was this:-
http://www.themarysue.com/dumb-men-commercials/

Although MOH has a mental block about men in skirts, we do agree and divide work between ourselves to our own strengths. For the two flats we have bought and are now letted, I did the wallpapering, painting, furniture assembly, laminate flooring, handing of fridge/freezer doors etc as well as the initial main (heavier) cleaning and she looked at the general decoration, colours, furniture, lighting etc. as well as the final cleaning up.

Just last night, when we were discussing retirement options, was that when I am gone, she would have to "get a man" in to do the work I currently do.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Your problem is that you are watching advertisements. Trash the TV.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I signed up for cable a couple years ago, but seldom use it. I have gotten in the habit of using DVDs almost exclusively. I prefer the control over content that that gives me.

I often check out DVDs from the public library.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I guess as I watch no TV I've missed a heap of sexism. Trouble is, those who do are easily led by the nose it seems.
I do read magazines though.
No sexism in "Time" or "New Scientist" at all..

Grok: for some musical non sexist entertainment have a look at my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMdick/vi ... &flow=grid
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

You are correct in your observation of the great deference now given women. But for the upcoming generation, nature is turned on its head. Young women in the twenty-something generation, are often the better educated and more stable half of a couple. A growing portion of young men, at least in America, have become rather indecisive and tepid, and easily placated in modest achievement. Their female counterparts are becoing more agressive in financial terms, and more ambitious in pursuit of their careers.

I suppose we would refer to the new media depictions of smarter, stronger women as "social affirative action". And many women doubtless have earned and well deserve that status and deference. Still, when you see a new mop or cleaning product advertised, the person shown using it is nearly always a woman.

I guess that should society implode and civilization devolve or collapse, that nature will recover its order in essentially a Gorean form, and the ancient forces of sex dominance and submission will be restored, perhaps to the horror of modern women, or perhaps to their subconscious relief. But this young generation of (first-world western) males would have to "grow a pair", and quickly, in order to sustain their bloodlines, or even survive.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

For what it is worth, I think most women are lot sharper than men. They can hold down a full time job, come home and cook the dinner whilst seeing to the kids and getting washing done whilst putting the hoover around and 101 jobs needed to do. And still look nice. Us blokes haven't a clue in most respects.
You have to get up early to beat a female--ask my mum, and anyone's mum.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Reluctantly, I am inclined to agree there.
Not sure what us males can do about it. More swot at school I guess. The girls do tend to outperform males at school.