Torville & Dean

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Torville & Dean

Post by Sinned »

Last night there was a programme on the background to their "The Bolero" ice dance for the 1984 Winter Olympics. Gosh was it that long ago???? Well watching it brought the same tingly feeling now as it did all those years ago and still as utterly mesmerising. It's sheer perfection and I don't think that anyone else will better it - ever. What the programme brought out and I didn't realise was that they couldn't bring the music down to less than 4 minutes and 28 seconds and the maximum they were allowed for the dance is 4 minutes and 10 seconds. Now since the time didn't start until the blade of one of them touched the ice it was the reason for that initial section where they were knelt on the ice and swaying to the music. Apparently they are doing the dance tonight for the last time. Wonder if it will be as good? If anyone hasn't seen it then I would recommend watching it - it's bound to be on YouTub or something.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Torville & Dean

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, they were totally amazing and enthralled the whole World, but that was 30 years ago and such a physically demanding routine would be very difficult to reproduce 30 years later.

I never knew that about the length of the music recording and the time constraints placed on the dancers.

In another field of endeavour, after their respective opening performances in the Six Nations' Rugby, the match between England & Ireland will probably be a cracker.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I too was absolutely thrilled by that performance, perfection indeed. In the years that followed, I had gréât difficulty in accepting the praise the commenta tors heaped on other competing couples, especially some of the unsmiling unbending Russians, none of Whom could match Torville and Dean.
Not so long ago, I realized there were You tube vidéos available of T&D's skating, and, yes, 30 years later the magic was still there.
Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Last night there was a programme on the background to their "The Bolero" ice dance for the 1984 Winter Olympics. Gosh was it that long ago????
It has been that long, and I've not seen anything quite like it since. What a magical moment in time!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!