Linux / Windows

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Linux / Windows

Post by Tor »

I'm not exactly obsessed with the "latest and "greatest"", but with modern web browsers in particular I'm not sure I could do very will with less than the 8GB mainstore in my current system. Browser alone is consuming 1.7GB mainstore, and that number can grow bigger on me. Ratpoison does help out though, consuming a (current according to top) modest 4312kB, and being very light on the CPU as well.

I've thought about trying some of the WMs you mention and have a couple, while others are (for me) curiosities that run outside of any of my two systems, though I always enjoy reading about such things. FVWM in particular is one I've thought about, but never gotten around to trying.

I doubt I've spent more than a few hours running Gnome on any of my computers. Just never fit my workstyle well at all. KDE was very good in its 3.5 incarnation, but 4.x has never been as good, IMO. I ran KDE 3.5 for years (until 2011/2012, as I recall) and switched to ratpoison when I built my current system. With the RPWS extension for workspaces and turning off warp[1] on one of them for GIMP ratpoison works well enough to be more time and effort than I currently have to try switching. My seldom used 10" laptop still has KDE 4.x on it, and may remain that way for a while, though I've been meaning to upgrade the OS, and will probably change the DE at that time.

[1] Warp is a function which remembers where on the screen the mouse cursor is for each window and moves it to the window's last location whenever you switch windows. Drives GIMP insane when it opens new little windows on a click and drag in particular, but (to me, at least) a wonderful feature for other programs and once let me park the mouse for a few different windows each of which needed occasional clicks in different spots on the screen, but always in the same place in the window during a repetitive job.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Highly interesting discussion, if a lot over my head.
What I use is Lenovo T61 running Windows 7. No Complaints there.
Main problem seems to be running out of disk space if I download too many videos. So I guess I just remove them once I've uploaded them to YouTube, where hopefully they will remain!
Getting more disk space would be good though, but not sure if that is possible. Can't say I'm hugely computer literate, and don't seem prone to viruses. Have McAfee anti-virus on this machine.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Jack, Increasing disk space isn't a problem, and it isn't expensive, more can be fitted internally or larger drives can be fitted to replace smaller. if for some reaon your computer won't accept or work with bigger drives, an NAS could be your answer- a box with hard drives in it which you add to your network and use a file store. I have one with 2*2 terabyte drives in it. I still filled it, but that is just bad housekeeping and too many backups!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Thanks for that advice Big & Bashful.
Is that an external hard drive plugged into a USB port, of which this machine has three?
But I think bigger internal would be better. I'll have yarn with nearby expert about that.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jack Williams wrote:I think bigger internal would be better. I'll have yarn with nearby expert about that.
The issue with that is that everything will need to be copied from the old to the new, and the new then made "bootable" so it'll work as intended, and sometimes Windows doesn't like that.

In any event, good luck!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yes, I was aware everything would have to be transferred. That also was the case when I changed from Vista to Windows 7. Did cost a bit, but as long as it's possible is the thing. I will wander along later and see what they have to say.
A thing about this machine is that one can actually get parts such as a new disk drive assembly, keyboard, case even. Reminds me of the old days when one actually FIXED things instead of chucking them away. Very pleased with this unit.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Jack,
You can get external hard drives which plug into USB sockets. Very simple way of adding to your storage space, also because it is a separate machine you can just take it to another computer and copy stuff back across. A good way to move things around and if you only plug it when you want to access it, it has a better chance of surviving and viral infestations. Again, I have a 2 terabyte one so they do go large!
Adding to the computer's disk space is also a good way to expand. Most computers have room for more than one drive and all the necessary connectors inside, you may have to buy a lead to connect the new drive up to the connector on the motherboard. Once installed there are a few steps to getting the pc to recognise it, pretty simple though. On the good side, another disk drive full of space in your machine. On the bad side, a viral infection could take out all the data on the drive. I like having at least two drives in my pc, I set the machine up to have operating system and programmes on the first drive (C:) and all data on the second drive. At least if the operating system gets scrambled or the main (primary) disk dies, my data is on the second disk. Replace the C drive and operating system and all my music, pictures etc. is still there on the other disk.
You could always replace the built in disk with a bigger one, but you then have to get the operating system onto the replacement, which is possible, but rather more difficult.
The really simple option is the USB drive, just don't drop it! removable drives can be vulnerable to buttering of the fingers!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Did have yarn to ye computer bloke, who is the one who changed it to Windows 7. At present I have measly 93.1gb. He can easily (for a certain sum!) up my internal drive to 500gb. That will do fine methinks.