the first male skirt to meet success?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
N0HEQ

Re: the first male skirt to meet success?

Post by N0HEQ »

Skirts are disappearing from retail outlets since few people wear them these days. Unless men start buying skirts there is little chance that this disappearing trend will be reversed. An indication of the future is seen in younger girls who have never worn a skirt. Even preschool girls are in pants. Ripped jeans are the popular fashion of the moment. Fearing this trend I have purchased dozens of skirts years ago from the clearance racks at very low prices. I can't buy skirts for less than five dollars such as I did years ago. I even have several great skirts with deep pockets that I purchased for only one dollar. I'm set for life with my collection. No expensive skirts for me. :roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:And potentially subversive?
'Tis a pity that the link to the whole article doesn't work because the abstract looks interesting.

The link to the PDF caused a memory-runaway on one browser, a hang in another, and an "Access Denied" in a third. The New York Times loses by this author. Idiots.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

N0HEQ wrote: Skirts are disappearing from retail outlets since few people wear them these days. Unless men start buying skirts there is little chance that this disappearing trend will be reversed.
The good thing here is that skirts are among the simplest of garments to make from scratch. I'm no ace at sewing, but made two minis for myself (and one for my wife) that work quite well, and I did that without even a pattern.

I have another project on the back burner, but that's waiting for the upstairs chicken coop to be cleared of livestock so it can become the intended sewing room and the sewing-machine can be set up again.
An indication of the future is seen in younger girls who have never worn a skirt. Even preschool girls are in pants.
This was absolutely the case for a while, but skirts did enjoy a short renaissance a while ago so there are younger women around who are familiar with the style.
Ripped jeans are the popular fashion of the moment.
Yuck. How 1980s.
flarob

Post by flarob »

JohnH wrote:Hate to say it, but skirts seem to be coming more rare for women to wear. In the latest WomanWithin catalog there are no casual short skirts - only [gasp - ugh!] SKORTS!

In all fairness there were a lot of dresses in that catalog.

What is this world coming to? It was bad enough for men to have their styles dumbed down, and now women have to engage in this trend!

John
Yes, I agree. Especially in the larger cities. Just look around at lunchtime and see how many women are wearing either a skirt outfit or a dress - Not many.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

John wrote:
Yes, I agree. Especially in the larger cities. Just look around at lunchtime and see how many women are wearing either a skirt outfit or a dress - Not many.
Flarob, you must live in the wrong city. Here in San Francisco if the sun is out and the temp is above 65F or so, upwards of 50% of the women may be wearing skirts (and even some skirt suits or dresses). On days like that, it's good to be alive. Even if I am envious of their skirts. :)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I would vote for the sarong. More specifically, sarongs worn as beach wear, while bare chested. Which, I suppose, would be a sort of Polynesian look.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The skirted garment after next to meet success?

My guess would be the caftan.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

alsachti wrote:On your opinion, what kind of male skirt will be the first to meet success with the general public?
A kilt? A long skirt? Or will the skirt be gradually accepted through harem pants, or skorts, or divided skirts ?
:?:
I have commented that kilts are a special case. Otherwise, I suspect that we will go through a long, glacial process-skorts/baggy shorts may be the first step. Perhaps eventually someone will wear an actual skirt with some kind of leggings, as a sort of halfway house.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Grok wrote: Perhaps eventually someone will wear an actual skirt with some kind of leggings, as a sort of halfway house.
Many women already are....
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I just thought of a metaphor-training wheels.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Having gone through the pros and cons of divided skirts, how about UNdivided trousers?

On the market the other day, I saw what I thought was a long wide skirt for sale. On closer inspection, I discovered that it was completely closed at the bottom except for a small hole at each extremity to put your feet through. Not a bad idea; nothing to bother you at the crotch, but plenty of cloth to allow a good long stride. And no way for any one to catch sight of your privates! The perfect garment for the discerning male.

This is more or less what used to be sold for women in North Africa, shapeless, but comfortable.

Martin
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I remember seeing someone wearing something like that near London. Wonder what they are called?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:I remember seeing someone wearing something like that near London. Wonder what they are called?
I seem to recall a derisive term, "craptin" so deployed because that's what the garment looked like.

Part of the joy of skirts is that they're open at the hemline. Accept no substitutes.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

crfriend wrote: Part of the joy of skirts is that they're open at the hemline. Accept no substitutes.
Quite agree, Carl, but we were looking for something that might be acceptable to the average man, who, I believe, feels very vulnerable if his privates are not protected from the fresh air by a layer or two of cloth.

I agree too, that the garments I mentioned would not be the acme of elegance, but look around; do you see much elegance on the streets these days?

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

The line between those huge baggy shorts some guys wear and skorts is pretty thin. So maybe one step at a time...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron