the first male skirt to meet success?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Re: the first male skirt to meet success?

Post by skirtilator »

Quite agree, Carl, but we were looking for something that might be acceptable to the average man, who, I believe, feels very vulnerable if his privates are not protected from the fresh air by a layer or two of cloth.
The average man should stick to trousers if he likes to bondage his nads so much, which he does if he wears a skirt-decorated short. He compromises the benefit of the least encumbering garment for the lower body. He is vulnerable all the time down there and can easily overcome these feeling.
I agree too, that the garments I mentioned would not be the acme of elegance, but look around; do you see much elegance on the streets these days?
Nope, but does it matter?
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

The first male skirt to meet success would be a skirt that was "mass produced" to a specific unalterable pattern. Now here is a picture of a Roman soldier at the height of the empire. Someone in that skirt, with the attendant strappy hobnailed sandals, was to be treated with extreme caution and respect.
Roman soldier.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

There's no way that plastic toy sword is going to dent my thick skull, or neck for that matter, especially at a range of ca. 12,000 miles!.

Btw. yer tunic's too long. Roman soldiers bared their knees, or didn't you know that?

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:The line between those huge baggy shorts some guys wear and skorts is pretty thin. So maybe one step at a time...
I take issue with that statement .....
SKORTS do not show CRACK and usually have form fitting compression panties covered by the all around skirted apron.
Also SKORTS will not fall down or need any assist in remaining in place AT THE WAIST unlike those crotch hanging abomination baggy shorts !

I have unsheathed my epee and am prepared to defend my wearing the SKORT and put to rest anyone wearing those 3B (blasted blasphemy baggy) shorts !
Well maybe I will put up my PEN knife and casually skirt the issue ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

R.m., my response was to crfriend, who opposed skorts because they're not all the way to being skirts.

My point was that there may be a path from shorts to skorts to skirts. And skorts are more skirt-like than shorts.

But if you like wearing skorts better than skirts, by all means do so. Fashion freedom and all that...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Well I guess I better guard my humor it could be offensive - LOL !

crfriend was always a stick in the mud about skorts - oops there I go again !

Nothing like getting into a lively discussion without an escape clause !

I find wearing skorts the better part of not seeing London & France under skirts for those that tour those nether regions.
They also are supportive and keep everything in place and are short enough to be COOL and COMFORTABLE !
So "To each his own and the devil for all of us" - I can toast to that with or without skirted wear or whatever comes in between.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I'm beginning to wind if a similar progression will be needed for women who want to wear skirts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Normal fashion cycles will regain the popularity of skirts for women.

The same cycle for men, however, seems to progress more slowly.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Caultron wrote:The line between those huge baggy shorts some guys wear and skorts is pretty thin. So maybe one step at a time...
I've been spending a lot more time lately looking at what others, men and women, are wearing. The number of times I thought I had seen a guy wearing a skirt!

"No, no, its a pair of long, baggy, floaty shorts"

If you pick the right fabric, most people aren't even going to notice a skirt it seems.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Personally, I'd no more want to wear a skirt that looked like "a pair of long, baggy, floaty shorts" than I would wear the shorts. I think a fairly close-fitting garment looks better than a loose one. That is why a kilt and other skirts have pleats : they hang straight and close to the body (if the pleats are well made) but do not restrict movement.

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Well, I hear, and I wouldn't wear big, puffy, flouncy skirts either. Certainly no poodle skirts, if you remember those, nor petticoats. I like A-lines, though.

But I still feel that any movement away from trousers and toward skirts or even skirt-like garments is progress.

caultron
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

@caultron
But I still feel that any movement away from trousers and toward skirts or even skirt-like garments is progress.
If you wanna eat spaghetti bolognese it couldn't be considered progress if you replace the sauce with sauerkraut. If you want to do weight lifting it cannot be considered progress, if you put yourself in a weight lifter's dress. :lol: There is no progress, these guys still wearing skirted shorts. If they are capable of pulling off the look, they aren't wimps and shouldn't act like such. Ridicule and harassment are the worst enemy of Joe average, dangling bits and pieces are a joke compared to that.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Skirtalator's commentary may seem a bit rash at first read, but he makes a valid point. There is no weapon so powerful against the average male psyche as ridicule (of which satire is a special form, although largely obsolete in the modern age). Humour is an incredibly powerful tool -- both for positive and negative and should never be underestimated. It is mainly for that reason that I take pains to point out that outfits should be believable in the context they're being worn in (which is very different from the "runway world"); it's by that virtue that they won't attract scorn and jokes.

I am not saying that guys shouldn't "push the envelope" a bit in this regard, but just that things should be kept both in context and character. Indeed, the envelope needs a good hard shove, and it needs in in all three dimensions (the 4th being rather less forgiving) lest the "masculine box" be shrunk to a singularity. If your character can wear floaty stuff, do it; if you need "traditional "masculine" grounding, seek accessories that speak to that aesthetic. Seek to understand your inner sense of style, and adapt skirted looks to it; you will feel happy and confident of your work, and that will show to the public around you. If a given "look" is you, then ridicule is only for the onlooker.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...Seek to understand your inner sense of style, and adapt skirted looks to it; you will feel happy and confident of your work, and that will show to the public around you. If a given "look" is you, then ridicule is only for the onlooker.
Exactly.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

By "success" I assume we mean that its style will be the breakout style on the leading edge of the revolution.

My answer to the question is "the one that: becomes locally available to customers in a large and influential market, gives wearers a sense of conventionality-within-difference (by virtue of all its variants being recogniseable as having the same theme), looks unequivocally male, and doesn't feel like one is wearing a costume."

So basically, the Utilikilt and its imitators, once locally available in, um, Nashville or Toronto or something, not just on the left coast.

Of course it's entirely possible that there won't be a revolution but rather just a continuous slide with no one skirt style being "the first".
Daryl...