Dress codes

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Dress codes

Post by Since1982 »

About 20 years ago I saw a documentary on PBS on our channel 2. It was about a Boy's school in Minnesota that was based on a Scottish boy's school from the early 1900's. It had a very strict dress code for the students. In the winter the students wore green uniforms, white shirts, and a green MacPherson tartan tie. In the summer they wore the same suit jacket, tie and white shirt, but instead of trousers like in winter, they wore kilts of the MacPherson tartan. The school's founder was a MacPherson. They were in existance from 1903 until the middle 1950's when it closed down due to financial problems. What hit me was that the boys didn't mind wearing kilts during that time period but if someone tried to institute a dress code like that today they probably wouldn't be allowed to. Comments??
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dress codes

Post by Brandy »

Skip,

It may be possible today as I was reading how a number of uniform schools went to no-uniform and now the parents want to go back to uniform because of the cost of non-uniform clothes. Some of the "girls" were also ready to go back to uniform as they were tired of the "dress" competition. Now I thought this was for some schools in the Mid-West they were private schools. It could have been overseas some where also.

In this case to reinstate a dress code keep it simple; uniform colors, trousers, skirt length, shirt colors, etc and then just state these are the uniforms and any student my wear them male or female, no restrictions on wearing skirts or trousers. Dress code would be gender neutral. I am willing to bet there would more parents complaining than students.

-- Brandy
skirtingtherealissue

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

With a thread title such as this, Skip, I was hoping you had found an establishment (restaurant/bar/workplace) that openly endorsed MIS as a policy. Now that would have been 8) .
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I don't know of any restaurants/bars/workplaces in the Florida Keys or specifically Key West, that ban men wearing anything that covers the nether regions on them, be it a skirt or trousers doing that. I live in the keys and have about 8 friends in Key West that wear skirts as a regular part of their wardrobes and several more in Marathon. They are men who have been wearing MIS for 30 years or more and are accepted completely by their respective towns as am I. 8)
In 1999 thru 2005 Key West had an openly gay sometimes skirt wearing Mayor, who unfortunately in 2006 died of AIDS from a blood transfusion. :blue:
Last edited by Since1982 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Irishguy

Post by Irishguy »

I suppose its what you are used to, Back in the 1950s most kids did what they were told to do, wore what they were told to wear.
At the time a lot of kids wore shorts, It was a huge deal to go into longs, And I guess it has to be remembered school was not taken for granted, it was a privilage to go to school. So I guess it was take it or leave it in that school.
There were a lot of schools who have the kilt as formal wear but wore trousers day to day, But then there were schools that wore the kilt day to day.
I grew up in the 1970s, I wore the kilt for irish step dancing, scouts and secondary school, I suppose looking in it might seem like many would not accept it, but when you are in the suitation you get on with it, It was not the worst thing to have to wear in the world.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Irishguy:

Your first post and a warm hearty welcome to the forum.
Keep posting frequently.
Comments of your youth and what you wore then are very interesting.

"Kilted-as-always"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Irishguy

Post by Irishguy »

r.m.anderson wrote:Irishguy:

Your first post and a warm hearty welcome to the forum.
Keep posting frequently.
Comments of your youth and what you wore then are very interesting.

"Kilted-as-always"
rm
Thank you RM, I signed up a little while ago, and have been meaning to get posting, Its nice to feel so welcome
isign2u

Post by isign2u »

I can remember back in the 70's we were not as "informed" or as PC as we are today. I grew up in an adoptive home that was 75% female. If given a skirt, or any other item to wear, the thought of why never crossed my mind.
Irishguy

Post by Irishguy »

isign2u wrote:I can remember back in the 70's we were not as "informed" or as PC as we are today. I grew up in an adoptive home that was 75% female. If given a skirt, or any other item to wear, the thought of why never crossed my mind.
That was the way it was back then, I have a older sister, I used to get handmedowns, but not skirts or dresses but things like socks, sandals, welligitons, cardigans, sweaters and so on, there was little wasted unlike now, my mother used to sew and darn damaged clothes. I can't say at the time it bothered me at the time but then again they were different times. Back then you did as you were told, my parents belived in spare the rod spoil the child.
I was very aware of kilts growing up, they were not a suprise, I knew when i started irish dancing i would be expected to wear a kilt, but it did not bother me, Although to call what i wore when i first started a kilt would be skirting the truth. At the time it was a navy wrap skirt pleated at the back with buttons on each hip. at the time I knew no better i was told it was a kilt like everone else, I will admit the first time I put it on it felt different to anything else I had worn before that but I guess because everone else who did dancing were wearing the same it did not bother me as much. I also knew i was going to be sent dancing regardless.