Trying on skirts in clothes shops

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
I <3 Skirts

Trying on skirts in clothes shops

Post by I <3 Skirts »

What are your experiences as far as trying on skirts in clothes shops goes? Do most clothes shops allow men to try on skirts?

I'm extremely interested in trying out some skirts (though worst case scenario is that I won't be able to try any on until I'm in Uni in 15 months time because I know my parents probably won't understand) and want to know what the protocol is in those situations in case the oppurtunity arrises at some point in the coming year.

Thank you :D
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trying on skirts in clothes shops

Post by JRMILLER »

Hi, welcome!

I have never been turned away. However, I walk tall and don't act like I am embarrassed about the request (even though I generally am).
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I <3 Skirts wrote:What are your experiences as far as trying on skirts in clothes shops goes? Do most clothes shops allow men to try on skirts?
Recall that shops exist to sell merchandise, and that whatever currency you use to make a purchase is every bit as good as what everybody else around you is using. Good shopkeepers know this and tend to behave accordingly.

Note that tricks exist that one can use in lieu of actually trying on a garment; the one most commonly mentioned is to carry a length of string that's equal to the waist of a comfortably-fitting pair of trousers (say what?) and folding it in half and comparing that length to a skirt-waistband as it's on the hanger. Another one is to take the prospective garment and hold it around your front half and see where the ends wind up: if they're 180 degrees apart from right hip to left, odds are the garment will fit when put on. The latter will also give a good visual of where the hem will be that the first cannot offer.
I'm extremely interested in trying out some skirts (though worst case scenario is that I won't be able to try any on until I'm in Uni in 15 months time because I know my parents probably won't understand) and want to know what the protocol is in those situations in case the oppurtunity arrises at some point in the coming year.
If you're planning on "making the jump" into skirts, you might as well mention the fact to your parents (unless they're completely bereft of clue) because it will leak back to them from university that you're experimenting with (or embracing!) "alternate attire". It may be easier to deal with the issue "at range" than face-to-face, but family will find out.
JRMILLER wrote:I walk tall and don't act like I am embarrassed about the request (even though I generally am).
Why would you be embarrassed? A sure-fire giveaway that a prospective skirt is for you is to be wearing a skirt when you go to the merchant's in the first place! That ought to completely defuse the situation.

A short tale in this regard may be in order. A couple of days ago, Sapphire and I wandered out to pick up a new white slip for me (the one I had previously seems to have gone walkies and isn't responding to being called). We take different sizes, and I had on my long tiered skirt at the time, and Sapphire was wearing shorts -- and it did not take the cashier long to realise that there were two different sizes in the purchase lot and that I was wearing a skirt so, by deduction, one size had to be for me. To her credit, she did not recoil from the notion, but rather approached it with a sense of humour. We smiled, paid the bill, and headed home. No point in being embarrassed at all...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
I <3 Skirts

Post by I <3 Skirts »

crfriend wrote: If you're planning on "making the jump" into skirts, you might as well mention the fact to your parents (unless they're completely bereft of clue) because it will leak back to them from university that you're experimenting with (or embracing!) "alternate attire". It may be easier to deal with the issue "at range" than face-to-face, but family will find out.
I will tell me mum probably soon after I start wearing partly because she will find out eventually and partly because, if I'm already doing it, she may well understand (whereas if I haven't started she may think it is just "one of the phases" or may think I'm interested in becoming trans).

I doubt I will ever tell my dad because as kind as he is I know he will really struggle to get his head round it all. Also I highly doubt he will find out because he isn't particularly social and whatever (and if he does learn about it I'd almost feel more comfortable with him just finding out rather than me having to tell him to be perfectly honest).
skirtingtherealissue

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

Welcome to the Cafe.
crfriend wrote:A sure-fire giveaway that a prospective skirt is for you is to be wearing a skirt when you go to the merchant's in the first place! That ought to completely defuse the situation.
This works for me. In the UK, I have tried skirts on in Marks and Spencer, Debenhams, Next, Quiz, and Jane Norman. Sometimes I've been wearing trousers, but most often a skirt. I usually just ask the store clerk if it's ok to take the garment down/upstairs to the menswear fitting rooms (rather than have security following me as a more suspicious character than I already am :twisted: .) I've also had help from a clerk in Topshop to find a skirt I wanted; I'm still a lazy male shopper (the internet is great), I don't browse in shops, I just want to be able to pick the item up, try it on and, if it fits, buy it.

Good luck and happy shopping.
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Had a similiar experience about buying an item in the womens section of a store.
I am from Minnesota and was in North Carolina for a golf event. I went shopping
in a store called Belks. The store I went to used to have both mens and womens
clothing in the same store. But due to an occupany problem at that mall location
the mens section was moved 2 doors down into a vacant rental area and the
womens department was expanded into the previous mens area.
Anyway while in the womens store looking for some shorts - I mean short shorts
you won't find them in the mens I found a pair of Tommy Hilfiger shorts I really
liked and they were on sale. Being from out of state/town I wanted to try them
on but in upscale department stores there is a protcol about men using the womens
fitting rooms. Wal-Mart and Target have an associate direct you to the correct
room. But this was a total womens store - so I checked with a sales clerk who
then had to call her manager over and I explained I wanted to try before I buy
because I was not from there and would have a problem if I took them home and
they did not fit.
Viola the manager said no problem - just follow her and wait outside the womens
fitting room while she made sure no women were within and cleared the way for
me to have exclusive use of the fitting room.
They fit and I bought them. I would suppose that there would have been raised
eyebrows if I had tried on a girdle or bra or other womens exclusive wear. A
skirt or dress might have been just as difficult.
I do like the stores such as Sears or Kohls where you would be permitted to take
your try on items to the appropriate fitting room without a hassel. Wal-Mart &
Target do not say much except to count the items taken into the change room
and if they don't fit or like they will restock them for you; but I generally take the
clothes back to the rack/shelf where I found them.
Since these stores just count the items I tend to mix and match. Some mens or
unisex items with skirts and the alike. With my tape measure I am usually pretty
sure about the items I select for the fitting booth. Never have had an awkward
moment and plan on not having one. The more at ease you are and honest about
your intent the better. I am buying for the wife or my sister who would not and
could not wear the stuff I am wearing or the halloween costume party are really
lame excuses and a small lie becomes harder to mask!
So you are the customer act reasonably and buy what you want!

"Kilt-Whatever"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hi I <3 skirts

Welcome to the café, good to have someone a little younger than the average here.

Like others here, I have never had a problem trying on skirts before buying. In shops with mens and womens fitting rooms on different floors I usually just wander over to the fitting rooms on the floor I found the garment on and ask whether I should try it here or in the men's department. The answer varies from store to store but last time (House of Fraser, a large relatively upmarket department store) the assistant checked with a colleague who replied "No problem, use these fitting rooms; after all we send ladies to the gents area when we're busy".

When I came out of the changing booth to use the full length mirror, one of the other customers there looked at the skirt and commented "That looks really good on you, a perfect fit". It was only when I thanked her that she looked at me rather than the skirt, noticed the beard, and then looked both confused and embarrassed. I told her I was pleased with the way it looked and felt and thanked her again for her opinion.

As I waited to pay a few moments later, she joined the till queue behind me and said how unusual it was to see a guy in a skirt (I was back in my Utilikilt by then) and that she did not understand why more men did not try it.

So, if you want to try a skirt, just do it. You have nothing to fear.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I'm not as brave as you lot, I just couldn't do that, I'd sooner walk down the high street naked :shock: than go into a shop and try on a skirt, thank God for the internet and buying on line :D
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I generally buy from charity shops and have had no problems trying on skirts at them. I have also had no problems at one of the fashion chains I have bought from.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Same here, we call them "Thrift Shops" and some of my most favorite skirts have come from there. No problem trying them on, I guess with a low price tag, they are not as fussy about regulating the changing rooms.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Back to the original question, "Are men allowed to try on skirts in a shop?" Of course, if they didn't it would be like holding up pounds, euros or dollars and burning them. I can't think of any merchant that owned the store ever turning away a paying customer. Have you? At least not in the last 30 years anyway. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
flarob

Post by flarob »

I've tried on skirts on at Lane Bryant, Avenue, Catherines and Bonworth, no problems at all. They have all told me that they have other men customers and there is no problem. I have not tried on skirts in a major Dept. store yet like Macys, in time I will. The store clerks are helpful and most will ask if there is anything else they can show me like dresses or shoes.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

RichardA wrote:I'm not as brave as you lot, I just couldn't do that, I'd sooner walk down the high street naked :shock: than go into a shop and try on a skirt, thank God for the internet and buying on line :D
Richard,

It only feels brave the first time. Once you've done it once and discovered that it is a non-event it is no more an act of bravery than wearing socks with sandals or breaking any of the other silly fashion "rules".

If you want to know whether it fits or not you need to try it so just do it and buy or not as appropriate. Trust me on this; it is not a problem.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

i DID have one shop manager tell me i'd have to come back either at opening time or closing time, so that my use of fitting rooms didn't possibly disturb/offend other customers. this was at a "Tall Girls" mall-shop near chicago. her attitude was such that i said "hmm... no thanks! i'll just take my business elsewhere. :lol: ". she was a stiff old biddy, and i think a lump of coal would turn to diamond in her butt.

that was the ONLY time. elsewhere, i've only had courtesy. after all, a paying customer is the shop-keepers ONLY asset. without us spending money there, everything else is a financial liability.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
kiltsrawesome

Post by kiltsrawesome »

Greetings,

Speaking from as a teenager from a very close minded state, I find that an easy way to buy skirts is to find a pair of shorts/pants your size, and then hold the skirt up to the pants to find the closest fit. That way people think you're just holding a pair of shorts, and aren't looking at skirts, if that's what you're going for.

I actually prefer to sew my own skirts, that way I can really personalize them according to what exactly I want.

But if you live in a more populated area with more diversity, then I think buying a skirt would be fine.