Skirt obsession

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtherealissue

Skirt obsession

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

Is is possible to be obsessive about skirts?

I ask this as I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time browsing and searching for a variety of styles, lengths, colours, etc of skirts (see some of my recent posts) to such an extent that I think I have become an obsessive. Is it possible that, having reached the stage that I am comfortable wearing what I like almost when I like, I am now setting about obtaining the sort of clothing collection I believe I would have had, had I started wearing skirts (and other items) earlier in life.

Does this resonate with any other members?
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.
stefan

Re: Skirt obsession

Post by stefan »

skirtingtherealissue wrote:Is is possible to be obsessive about skirts?

I ask this as I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time browsing and searching for a variety of styles, lengths, colours, etc of skirts (see some of my recent posts) to such an extent that I think I have become an obsessive. Is it possible that, having reached the stage that I am comfortable wearing what I like almost when I like, I am now setting about obtaining the sort of clothing collection I believe I would have had, had I started wearing skirts (and other items) earlier in life.

Does this resonate with any other members?
I agree with you. I not only spend time finding different varieties I also buy different skirts. I actually own more skirts than trousers. I think the ratio is something like 3 to 1 in favor of skirts. I find that buying trousers is no fun but I enjoy buying skirts and browsing for new skirts. I guess this is similar to what many women do. :D

Have a nice day.

/Stefan
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Me too, but I think it's because "it's new" -- at least for us. Another reason I spend so much time looking is because I am sorting through skirts made for women for the one or two that will also look good on a guy. It's fortunate for guys that women's styles include masculine and feminine looking skirts because that at least gives us a chance at finding something reasonable. If all skirts were excessively feminine looking, then it would be near impossible.

Kilts appeal, but are often uncomfortable because they are heavy, thick, stiff, etc. However, Sportkilt's hiking kilt ranks very high as compared to the most comfortable skirt I have ever worn. The advantage with a kilt, of course, is that it is inherently masculine in appearance, so that makes the shopping much easier. I just get tired of the kilt look all the time.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

I've pretty much given up on buying skirts intended for women.

Most of the time, they don't fit right and look awful on me. The few that are salvageable usually require extensive alteration (in addition to adding pockets) before I'm happy with them.

Actually, I have the same problem with ones made for men -- cf. my gripes about my Utilikilt.

My most recent acquisition was a pleated skirt from Lands' End. I will have to add a pocket (only one is possible), tighten the waist, and lower the waistband in the front, and maybe add a lining of some sort.

I generally find it easier to just make a skirt or kilt from scratch. That way, I know it will fit.
skirtingtherealissue

stefan wrote:I actually own more skirts than trousers. I think the ratio is something like 3 to 1 in favor of skirts.
I'm now going to have to go and count my skirts and trousers; I suspect skirts outnumber trousers by a similar ratio.
JRMILLER wrote:Me too, but I think it's because "it's new" -- at least for us.
Thank goodness it's not just me :lol:
AMM wrote:I've pretty much given up on buying skirts intended for women.

Most of the time, they don't fit right and look awful on me. The few that are salvageable usually require extensive alteration (in addition to adding pockets) before I'm happy with them.
I guess this is the problem many women encounter.
AMM wrote:I generally find it easier to just make a skirt or kilt from scratch.
I have been considering approaching a tailor or dressmaker to design and make skirts for me. I'm not particularly adept at practical matters - well not to the extent that I could make a skirt that would look anything more that an abomination.
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'd not put it down to "obsession" at all, but rather to a sense of confoundedness when presented with a range of options that had never been open to us before! I "window shop" (something I never did in my life before "discovering" skirts) frequently trying to find items that will fit in well with my own personal aesthetic -- and that I can work into everyday wear. I'm not after "costume", but rather looks that befit my personality and mentality -- and this can be difficult.

So, given the above, does trolling various skirt manufacturers' and vendors' websites constitute "obsession"? I'd posit not. Bland male trousers are easy to get a handle on, but once outside that stifling little box, the options are bewildering -- and deserve proper contemplation lest we put something together that makes us look bizarre, or worse, silly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

skirtingtherealissue wrote:
AMM wrote:I generally find it easier to just make a skirt or kilt from scratch.
I have been considering approaching a tailor or dressmaker to design and make skirts for me. I'm not particularly adept at practical matters - well not to the extent that I could make a skirt that would look anything more that an abomination.
Actually, as sewing goes, skirts are dead easy. Once you figure out how to run a sewing machine without breaking the needle or putting holes in your fingers, you can make simple gathered skirts without a problem.

Simple gathered skirt: take a piece of cloth, width is however long you want the skirt plus about 2 inches, length is about twice waist size. Sew the ends together to make a cylinder. Get a 60"-72" bootlace for a drawstring. Fold the top 1.5 inches over the boot lace and sew to encase the bootlace. Hard part: not sewing through the bootlace. Leave a bit open so the ends hang out so you can draw it and tie it. For extra credit, also fold over and sew down the hem. Takes about 1 hour if you're a klutz.

Fancier gathered skirts use 1" wide elastic instead of the drawstring, you have to play around to find out how tight.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

skirtingtherealissue wrote:Is it possible that, having reached the stage that I am comfortable wearing what I like almost when I like, I am now setting about obtaining the sort of clothing collection I believe I would have had, had I started wearing skirts (and other items) earlier in life?
I know that I am still playing around with what I feel comfortable with in different situations and in different moods. Some of my early skirts simply hang in the closet gathering dust, some because I decide I hate the look (there are some I've made which I put on and immediately take off), some because they're not practical (I have a few beautiful skirts that are so long I keep stepping on the hem.), and some which I like but I don't have any situations where they feel right. Some days, I want a drab skirt or a kilt for going shopping, other days I'm up for a flashier (what some might call "femme") look.

One thing about trousers: after 50 years or so, I have an idea what I feel comfortable wearing, so I always buy the same thing. With skirts, not only do I not know what I feel comfortable wearing, what feels comfortable changes over time. Skirts I was afraid to wear out of the apartment a year or two ago I now am OK with wearing on the train to NYC.

This whole business is one ongoing experiment, with no end in sight.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Is is possible to be obsessive about skirts?
I used to have 2 pairs of shorts, 5 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of swim trunks. I never cared what color or style they were. As long as they covered the plumbing sufficiently, that was fine. When I got up to go somewhere, I dropped a T-shirt over my head and stepped into whatever pair of pants or shorts were closest and out the door I went.

NOW....I have 30 skirts of all styles and colors, many with patterned and different brighter colors. A-line, straight, circle, knee length, mid calf, ankle length, some khaki ones that look like cargo shorts except they're skirts, with a dozen pockets each. Skirts with patterns of brightly colored tropical fishies swimming all over them, cetaceans doing the same on other skirts, lots of Hawaiian style patterns and colors. Only about 6 with plain colors that I haven't changed with RIT dye. I bought a batch of white A-line skirts for a great price some time ago. They were cheap because the only color they had left was white. Thanks to RIT they are now Royal Blue, Grape, Tangerine, Red and Aquamarine and since they were all longer than I like, have been shortened to about 1 inch below my knees and taken in to be straight or pencil shape instead of A-line. I never run or walk fast anymore so straight is fine for me.

So do I care about what I wear? What do you think??? :alien: :hide: :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

It is certainly possible to become obsessive about anything, I don't see obsessiveness in any of these posts.

What I see are people who have shed the manacles of traditional menswear non-choices, found forms of expression that work better for them and are exploring those forms of expression. I think that exploration is healthy.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Diana,
If only the rest of the world thought like you....
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

JRMILLER wrote:Diana,

AMEN
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

I'm with Skip: I used to have only a couple pair of dress slacks, couple pair of boat slacks, and three pair of shoes: Dress shoes (wing tips), boat shoes, and sea boots.

Now I own 37 skirts and 12 pairs of shoes.

I used to laugh at people who needed more than 3 feet of closet space.....

Chris

PS: Thanks for posting this. I too thought it was only me!
skirtingtherealissue

Mipi wrote:
JRMILLER wrote:Diana,
AMEN
ChrisM wrote:I'm with Skip: I used to have only a couple pair of dress slacks, couple pair of boat slacks, and three pair of shoes: Dress shoes (wing tips), boat shoes, and sea boots.

Now I own 37 skirts and 12 pairs of shoes.

I used to laugh at people who needed more than 3 feet of closet space.....
33 skirts vs 9 pairs of trousers (4 of which are for suits), and 6 pairs of boots. Can't be bothered to count ordinary shoes as they are all boring. I need new closets!
ChrisM wrote:PS: Thanks for posting this. I too thought it was only me!
You're welcome. There was me thinking I was alone.
Ash

Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I used to be someone who had maybe 4-5 pairs of jeans, a couple pairs of dockers, and about 3-4 pairs of shorts. That was back in 2001. In February 2002, that's when I slowly began the process of moving toward skirted clothing. At the moment, I have two pairs of shorts (one denim, one basketball), and 18 skirted garments, including three kilts, and 15 skirts, all of which are between mid-thigh, and the bottom of the knees in length...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo