Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Modoc »

While out shopping wearing a blue denim mid calf length skirt I saw a fellow male shopper wearing a brown denim utility kilt several times in the store. We nodded acknowledgments when passing.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's good to acknowledge other men wearing skirts. When I see them it is often too late and I would need to run after them. I'm not doing that.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This isn't a skirt or dress story.
I was wearing a dress when out grocery shopping last night and lots of littler kids were completely wide eyed or ear to ear grinning at me?
I couldn't figure it until one yelled, SANTA and then I cottoned on.
Not the dress, but the loose white hair, untrimmed beard and bright red waterproof jacket may just have had some bearing.
Made me smile anyway.
Steve.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

There's an older guy I occasionally see at our local store during the summer who wears some kind of utility skirt with cargo pockets I think he heads up to one of our reservoirs to go fishing, I only recently realized whatever it is isn't a kilt as there were no pleats in the back I figured if he could I could.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

timemeddler wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:14 am There's an older guy I occasionally see at our local store during the summer who wears some kind of utility skirt with cargo pockets I think he heads up to one of our reservoirs to go fishing, I only recently realized whatever it is isn't a kilt as there were no pleats in the back I figured if he could I could.
The 511 Tactical "kilts" have a flat panel in the back... Great pockets, and way lighter weight than most utility kilts. That might have been what he was wearing.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Dust wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:21 am
timemeddler wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:14 am There's an older guy I occasionally see at our local store during the summer who wears some kind of utility skirt with cargo pockets I think he heads up to one of our reservoirs to go fishing, I only recently realized whatever it is isn't a kilt as there were no pleats in the back I figured if he could I could.
The 511 Tactical "kilts" have a flat panel in the back... Great pockets, and way lighter weight than most utility kilts. That might have been what he was wearing.
those are fairly close, I'll have to pay more attention if I see him around again, or just ask.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

A rather belated post to say that last Saturday morning in Abingdon market place I spotted an older gentleman in a calf-length swirly skirt with a ditsy pattern, along with fuschia coloured tights and walking boots with socks. Not the most stylish, but walking around quite nonchalantly

[edited for autocorrect error]
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

"Stylish " is only a matter of opinion Greenboots.
One could say he was creating his own fashion trend.
What you describe is merely a diluted version of some catwalk creations and very few gain favour around here.
Something for everyone and no accounting for taste is my view.
Would it not be ironic if that look created the MIS traction that we so eagerly yearn for?
Look forward to setting the world to rights properly on the 24th.
Steve.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I forgot to post last week about the guy I saw descending the steps to platform 2 at Bromley South wearing a knitted maxi skirt (dress?) in stripes of blue, aqua and green.

[Almost had an eats shoots and leaves moment in reverse!]
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Good choice. I'm seeing more men all the time in skirts or maybe I'm just more aware of it?
A year ago in London I did not see a single man in a skirt. Times are changing. 🤞
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

A first for me today. Other than prearranged meetups with fellow skirt-wearers I clocked a guy in a green tartan kilt -- a real one -- in the Irish pub my current lady-friend introduced me to this evening. Sadly I was wearing my pair of purple palazzos, else I might have said something.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I have a 511 kilt that I wear, but prefer my DNKE kilt or Sport Kilt because of the lack of pleats on the 511.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I was on the Bakerloo line tube the other day and saw an Asian man in a black skirt. Times are changing....
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:42 pm
I have a 511 kilt that I wear, but prefer my DNKE kilt or Sport Kilt because of the lack of pleats on the 511.
I kind of prefer the 511 for it's lack of pleats in the back. It has them on the sides, which gives it the full range of motion, but the back ones on a regular kilt are basically decorative...
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I feel pleats on the back of a kilt are both functional and for looks. They provide more range of motion as well as look good.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."