Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Happyskirt

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Happyskirt »

Hope some one saw me at the Aloha Oregon Farmers Market today..wife and I both sporting skirts, not a person batted a eye....guys..wear your skirts proudly!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Happyskirt wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:10 am Hope some one saw me at the Aloha Oregon Farmers Market today..wife and I both sporting skirts, not a person batted a eye....guys..wear your skirts proudly!
Hey Happyskirt -- sorry I missed you, but we visit Oregon, upper Willamette Valley frequently and I'd be glad to meet up on our next trip, come mid-November. Another chap, PDXfashionpioneer is nearby as well. Equally benign at Farmer's markets in McMinnville, Hillsboro, Newberg, and at least a half dozen more I've been to, nor here today in Santa Elena Costa Rica. PM me or put notice in Meet Ups.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Sunday morning arts and crafts fair in Jacksonville, Oregon.
3 people said they liked my dog. One lady said, "Say, I have
a skirt just like that." (Camouflage bayou skirt from Cabela's.)
I asked, "Where did you get it?" "Thrift store, I think." She obviously
noticed and liked it. (Discontinued and hard to find, but one of my faves.)
I wore a Costco skort to 4th of July parade and related festivities
in Ashland, Oregon. It's an artsy-theatre-town, getting back on its economic
feet after the pandemic. (The parade is also a huge family and community
event.) Many parade participant groups were devoted to inclusivity, diversity,
tolerance, and rejection of conspicuous political trends in other states
(and other less enlightened southern Oregon towns).
Nobody notices what I wear, which is fine with me. It's that kinda town.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

The temperatures are hitting the summer peaks of 90 F and higher. So on that note, I put on a denim mini and hit the streets for shopping and such, nothing unusual. The unusual thing was that I encountered another male wearing a skirt in the grocery store. A younger fellow, maybe 30, was wearing a black utility kilt and a plain t-shirt, simple, and I was glad to see him. We smiled and nodded as we passed in the aisle. He was with a female, probably a mate.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Bertino56 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:46 am Sunday morning arts and crafts fair in Jacksonville, Oregon.
3 people said they liked my dog. One lady said, "Say, I have
a skirt just like that."
I wore a Costco skort to 4th of July parade and related festivities
in Ashland, Oregon. It's an artsy-theatre-town, getting back on its economic
feet after the pandemic. (The parade is also a huge family and community
event.) Many parade participant groups were devoted to inclusivity, diversity,
tolerance, and rejection of conspicuous political trends in other states
(and other less enlightened southern Oregon towns).
Nobody notices what I wear, which is fine with me. It's that kinda town.
Wow, another Oregonian. Yes, Ashland is a great place for MIS and a whole slew more. It was Ashland's July 4th. parade I was reflecting on as we watched the one in Hillsboro this year which failed miserably in comparison. Bertino56 I hope you noted HappySkirt's post above -- I now know of at least 7 regular MIS residing in OR -- and though not central, Ashland would be a great spot for a Meet-up or MIS event!
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Happyskirt wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:10 am…wife and I both sporting skirts, not a person batted a eye....guys..wear your skirts proudly!
Nice story. You’ve found what I’ve discovered. Few people bat an eye, and some actually give a compliment. What length skirts did you and your wife wear?
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Just reaching the end of Blue Dot Festival, music and science in the shadow of the Jodrell Bank radio telescope. The skirted men tally came to an impressive eleven (including me). Two of them were in plain kilts and one was in a dress.
About four were clearly wearing shorts or trousers underneath.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Happyskirt

Post by Happyskirt »

SkirtedWalker wrote:
> [quote=Happyskirt post_id=251038 time=1689909003 user_id=46333]…wife and I
> both sporting skirts, not a person batted a eye....guys..wear your skirts
> proudly![/quote]
>
> Nice story. You’ve found what I’ve discovered. Few people bat an eye, and
> some actually give a compliment. What length skirts did you and your wife
> wear?
Both were just a little less than knee length..
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Went to a bookshop in the English Peak District. The guy behind the counter was wearing a skirt (ankle length, blue with white pattern, perhaps sarong type). Thinking of all the reports here about the power of positive comments, I said "nice skirt", and he told me that it was the first day he had dared to wear it, and was clearly happy to get feedback. (I was on holiday with only one kilt in the luggage, so I was in trousers that day, though I did wear the kilt around a stately home earlier in the week, and had the inevitable tartan query.)
AussieRich

Post by AussieRich »

denimini wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:44 am
FLMike wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:37 am
Brad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:59 am It appears that the last several sightings were in England. Is there any conclusion to be drawn?
Us Americans need to be more vigilant in watching for skirts.
Most members here are from UK too I would bet.
Perhaps not as many are wearing skirts in the US.
Same in Australia, I am always looking and have never seen another man in a skirt, even in my visits to big cities.
You’ll find me in Aldi, or Bunnings most weekends, South of the River in Perth, sometimes with my daughter or son. Interestingly, I don’t see too many men in skirts in Perth in general, but there are a few in my local shopping centre- plus there’s a growing trans community (yep, I know they are different things).
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:56 pm Went to a bookshop in the English Peak District. The guy behind the counter was wearing a skirt (ankle length, blue with white pattern, perhaps sarong type).
I'd love to think it was this irresistibly crazy one in Matlock, which I passed last year. Three floors and 12 rooms, 100 000 volume. Alas, I didn't have time to wait for it to open.
629202365155.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AussieRich

Post by AussieRich »

Sunday night in Perth (Australia) after the Eagles AFL game - saw a large, bald gent in a just above the knee, floral skirt outside Clancy’s pub at Canning Bridge - didn’t get chance to say hello as I was on the bus.
zjo

Post by zjo »

Maybe I’m more on the lookout for MIS nowadays but in the last week I spotted three of them in my hometown in Tampere, Finland (population 250k). I didn’t have a chance to compliment any of them but they all looked good, were about 25-35 and wore different styles. There’s also been several positive articles about MIS in the news here lately so I’m kinda hopeful the world will change :D
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

zjo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:55 am<snip> several positive articles about MIS in the news here lately so I’m kinda hopeful the world will change :D
Sounds like interesting reading :D
Would you be willing to share those articles with us :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
zjo

Post by zjo »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:19 pm
zjo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:55 am<snip> several positive articles about MIS in the news here lately so I’m kinda hopeful the world will change :D
Sounds like interesting reading :D
Would you be willing to share those articles with us :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I’ve actually shared a few of them and you even commented on the last one :D They are all in Finnish and most behind a paywall unfortunately but I will keep sharing the best of them when Google Translation seems valid and the article is free.

In the last year five of the biggest media outlet’s here have written at least one article about the MIS/MFF trend and most of them several. Many articles also contain casual and neutral notions of that - for example when a new fashion catalog contains skirts for men or someone is wearing one it’s basically often just mentioned without any fuzz like it’s a natural thing like we all know it is :) I would like to see more of this because I think when MIS stops being news it means we’re where we want to be.