Interesting experience...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Interesting experience...

Post by Kilted_John »

Due to the unseasonably warm weather here in the Seattle area, I haven't been wearing kilts as often as I usually do. Today, I was wearing a black pleated skirt that comes to just above my knees, and is very lightweight. One that is, unfortunately, prone to the Marilyn Monroe effect on breezy days like today (luckily, was fairly easy to control this time around - wouldn't wear it in a really windy situation, tho - also had a black slip on underneath) Had to visit the hardware store. One of the female clerks @ the register mentioned that she thought that the outfit I was wearing was the best one she'd seen on me over the past 2-3 years. Better than my traditional tartan kilts.

Was wearing said skirt with a black T-shirt, navy blue trouser socks, and a pair of athletic shoes. Tomorrow, going for the Levi's denim, since it has pockets, which will be a bit easier to deal with than stuffing the wallet with the normal stuff, plus my cell phone, then attaching my keys to it. Going to be the first day @ the college that I'm not kilted, but in a different skirted garment.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting experience...

Post by Mipi »

Waiting for your college experience.... I'm glade your black pleated skirt won such a good response.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Two words on your hardware-store experience: "Way cool!"

Suppressing "lift" is an acquired skill, and there's but one way to acquire it: do it. If one never wears garments that experience "lift", one never acquires the skills in dealing with it gracefully, and, lacking grace, the garments tend to never get worn because of fear. I have a couple of skirts that have that "problem", but over the years I've learned the precise point where control needs to be undertaken and what can be safely ignored; it's strictly a "learn by doing" business. (Experimenting in one's backyard with a stiff breeze is wonderfully instructive.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I decided to wear the same skirt as I did yesterday. Just like in a kilt, no reaction. In fact, less so, since I didn't get any questions about what was underneath, or if I played the pipes. Since tomorrow is going to be hotter (as well as Thursday), I'll probably again wear the same skirt, since it is lighter weight than the denim. However, I'll probably have a lighter colored t-shirt on, since both days, I've been stuck in black T-shirts, since I've been waiting to have a full load of laundry to do. This afternoon, I can do some laundry, providing me with some lighter t-shirts.

-J
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Update: haven't worn a kilt publicly since the 1st. I've not worn one around the family since the 4th or 5th, when I picked up the Lennox District tartan kilt from the kiltmaker, after I had it repaired. This morning, I remembered that I had one of the detachable cargo pockets from my last UK, so I threaded that onto a belt, then wrapped the belt around the skirt I've been wearing, and finally had something to carry my wallet, phone, and keys in, while still being able to hide it underneath the t-shirt that I wore today. I'm still thinking about trying a thigh holster for the phone and wallet, so I can keep things hidden until I need'em, even though it might look a bit odd when I reach up underneath to answer a call or to grab the wallet.

-J