Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Sinned »

Well, I went to a company celebration evening. Fun, quizzes and lots of company spiel from which I won a half day off sometime. I had prepared everyone by saying I was going to wear my posh frock which I qualified as being skirt and top. I wore a tan coloured just above the knee skirt which has large pockets bought from Primark during the week, a dress shirt tan with white stripes and tan coloured shoos which are like slipons with a very minimal heel upstand. This was greeted without any comment but a little gentle humour. In the bit about relaxation of the dress code - apparently black jeans are now allowed despite the fact that I have worn black jeans the whole of my time there. We can also wear black knee length shorts and it was also mentioned that I could wear a skirt to which I responded that I wouldn't as climbing up and down ladders and bending down to put stuff on bottom shelves weren't really the best activities for skirts. Photo to follow sometime when I can get a round tuit. A good evening overall.

P.S. There were about 35-40 people there, slightly more women than men and there were only three of us in skirts. No dresses. Even though it was really hot in the pub at least I was cool. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Daryl wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:Recently I went for a walk with the dog in the woods. I had the idea that I would be alone, but such was not the case. Even though it wasn't my first outing, it was running into people. it weren't just one or two but complete groups. But they just looked and no comments within earshot. I wore my utility kilt, low shoes with tassles - they might have given also a second thought - and nude pantyhose to keep the musquitos away.
The day before, after visiting friends who are not into the theme - I switched to a skirt and stopped at an atm. No one there at that time.
Those must be pretty wimpy mosquitos, for mere pantyhose to keep them away. Up here the mosquitos have no trouble stabbing you right through blue jeans.
Indeed the musquitos in Ontario are another strain than the tiger musquito - little buggers - which is becoming a plague in S-Europe. But the pantyhose also kept me from scratching myself after having stabbed by the little nasty beast
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Mike wrote:Here is a better shot of the Dickies cargo skirt - I absolutely love it. The best part? The pockets are more than a half inch deep!

Love the look Mike!!...it's tough to find skirts with deep pockets. Your skirt looks pretty lightweight and good for the summer.

Tes
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sinned wrote: P.S. There were about 35-40 people there, slightly more women than men and there were only three of us in skirts. No dresses. Even though it was really hot in the pub at least I was cool. :D
Three wearing skirts Was it 3 men in skirts or one man and 2 women :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Unfortunately it was me and two women. Had it been two men I would have made much more of a song and dance about it. Interestingly even though MOH knows that I went to the evening do she has never asked me what I was wearing. Maybe that's because she knows what my answer would be. :twisted:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I did it A little over a year ago I snuck into a berger Kink at 6 am Today I was in NYC at noon. NYC is one of the most crowded places on earth . The Heart of London or Paris would be similar.

I am going into some detail for those on the cafe that are familar with the city will understand. Others please bear with me. I guess it would be the same to me if sinned was explaining a trip into London

I left my house and drove to the commuter Rail station ( Long Island Rail Road ) I boarded a train heading to NYC about an Hour Ride. I had to change trains along the way there are problems at Pen Station so I went into Brooklyn There I boarded a NYC Subway Train and headed into Manhattan. I had to change Trains to get to my Stop.

I Was going in to visit My Son. This is also the first time he has seen me in a skirt. I got off the subway at 28th street and Park Ave I walked to his place on 29 st

I saw his pad than we went to lunch. about a 4 block walk we had a nice lunch than I headed home

In stead of going back to Brooklyn I decided to catch a return train from Penn Station. in order to get there I had to walk from 1st ave and 29 st to 8th ave and 33 street This is about a mile and a half walk thru the city at lunch time. The Streets were absolutely packed.

When I got to Penn Station it was packed They are doing major renovations and the train schedules are a mess. about a 45 minute wait than I was able to board my train for the 1 hour return trip.

I know I got a lot of looks but not a single problem . I would have to say that people are just going about their own business and don't care

I only have a couple of photos I couldn't find any mirrors and NYC is not the place to ask a stranger to take a photo

The first is me at the train station Just to show my outfit The second is me waiting in the station The third is the Empire State building as I was walking by 4 is reflections off of windows I couldn't find any mirrors. the flash is me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

As ol' blue eyes said, if you can make it there....
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:I did it A little over a year ago I snuck into a berger Kink at 6 am Today I was in NYC at noon. NYC is one of the most crowded places on earth . The Heart of London or Paris would be similar.
New York City is a grand place, and sooner or later I'm going to get back there again as I want to take in some of the museums without hindrances to mobility. The last time I was there was back in the naughties on the way back from Florida one January; this was the year that the Public Library had an exhibit that included, of all things, men in skirts -- and I fit the bill!

That's a decent shot of the Empire State Building, but the one I absolutely adore is the Chrysler Building that is this gorgeous art-deco building that soars to full height right from the street and, unlike the Empire State Building is positively tiny by comparison; I refer to it as a "tea-cup skyscraper" because of its diminutive footprint. It also sports a magnificent illuminated crown that shines very brightly in the evening sky and makes for a welcoming beacon as one approaches from New England on the train as it snakes its way through Queens.

My late ex- and I used to playfully argue about which was "better" and see what one showed up at the end of the Network news every evening.
The third [image]is the Empire State building as I was walking by 4 is reflections off of windows I couldn't find any mirrors. the flash is me
I believe you mean that the flash is from your camera. :lol:

Is this the same son who bought you the kilt?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

It looks like a nice trip, skirted in public transport. Being a senior, I can get a pass for free local public transport. But I still rely on my legs, a bike and a car.

I have to go to New York in Februari 2019 to renew my passport. If I'm still in a reasonable state, I will go skirted. It is an easy ride with the bus. Then I can say that I wore a skirt on Dutch soil, if you may call linoleum soil.
I hope the relations between the USA and the rest of the world are still friendly in 2019. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Its a son from a prior marriage I am just starting to get back in touch with him after many many years Hoping to renew our relationship about a 2 months ago we met for lunch this was our second meeting. He had never seen me in a skirt and had no Idea I wear them. It was not an issue his main comment was that it looked good. And that i should wear whatever I want.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Well done OldSalt1! kudos to you that you were so at ease with yourself, that your stepson, whom you have barely begun to get to know again took your skirting in stride.

Like Carl I have the darned time trying to decide which of NYC's iconic skyscrapers I like better, the Empire State or the Chrysler. The Empire State will always be the tallest building in the world for me, because it held that place through so much of my childhood. It says something about its height that all you could get into your picture was its lower levels, but the building's recognizable to those of us who are familiar with it. Too bad you couldn't get its iconic radio/TV tower and dirigible mooring mast (Yep, that's how they expected to use that mast) into the picture. Or at least a picture of it.

Not only is it a masterpiece of design architecturally and structurally -- it stood up to the B-25 that crashed into it in 1945 -- it was a model of construction engineering. There was no separate staging or storage areas. As fast as materials were delivered to the job site they were installed or at worst cached in a spot within the structure itself. But supposedly everything went from the truck to where it was going to be installed and the tradesmen got busy on it. Consequently, it was built in virtually no time flat. I want to say a year and a half, but please Google it before you quote me.

I was scandalized by the bad manners Sears showed by building something taller. And in Chicago of all places! Not to mention that at best its looks are ... utilitarian? Some would say, "No, butt ugly!" One of the Sear Tower's first tenants said she HAD to have an apartment there because it was about the only place in the city where you could escape from seeing it and for her tastes it was too ugly to bear! Thank God its exoskeleton design never caught on.

While the Empire State is magnificent, you can't beat the elegance of its rival, the Chrysler Building. Its Art Deco crown and spire are nonpareil. According to the legends of the construction of the two buildings, the Empire State's crowning tower was brought up to the Observation Deck by the building's elevators rather than by a construction crane. The developers of the Empire State wanted to be sure their rivals wouldn't find out how tall the mast was, craft an even taller spire for the Chrysler Building and thereby nose out the Empire State for top honors. Thank goodness for that! Had they built such a spire it would have undoubtedly destroyed the proportions of that pinnacle.

I guess the answer comes down to, why choose? They're a couple of things that make New York City the greatest city on Earth. Yes London is almost as populous and got there first. And there's only one Paris and as my friend MIckey says it does a great job of demonstrating that, "The French may be arrogant, but they've got a lot to be arrogant about!" Nowadays there are a number of emerging nations with more populous cities and plenty more with taller buildings, but what other city was the largest for so long? Had the two tallest buildings for so long (Empire State & Chrysler Builder and then Twin Towers)? And combined all that with New York's cultural and economic prominence?

Perhaps NYC should apologize to the world for foisting Donald Trump upon it, but my saying something like that would just create an emotional firestorm within the Café so I won't ... I didn't say that ... I thought it, but only in the spirit of full disclosure ... So I didn't actually say that ... It only looks like I did! :D :D
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I had a bit of a chat with the store manager and assistant last night at the start of my shift. It was said that, whilst they couldn't stop me wearing a skirt conforming to the dress code on the shop floor as far as they were concerned it came into the same category as shorts in that they wouldn't want any garment, such as short shorts, that would detract from the image of the store or would cause any customer to mock me or make derogatory remarks. So there we have it. It would be frowned upon and although they couldn't sack me for it they could make life difficult for me by say, just giving me minimum contracted hours or unsociable shifts that interfere with my family life. It's not that important to me to cause waves. I have had the limits clarified now. Knee length cargo shorts are acceptable and I have a pair of those that I can wear. Not sure what they would look like with a pair of ankle length work boots, but there you go. They are happy for me to be in the store in a skirt in my own time or on an out of hours social and I am happy with that.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I'm "famous" lols.. Amazon published my review and pic :D

https://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Womens-C ... argo+skirt
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Awesome! Let's hope this is one more step toward full acceptance!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think what I did in the city was a major step for me . I wouldn't be shocked if some of the tourists took my picture. But what you did going on a site and actually posting a picture and comments about your skirt took on great big pair. Kudos to you