skirt slits

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bareman43

skirt slits

Post by bareman43 »

I have a number of skirts that have slits in either the front or back. Some are long, mid calf, some are short, knee or above. The shorter ones I will wear with pantyhose or tights on occasion, the long ones, I wear knee high sox with boots or shoes.
Some skirts have no slit and some are slit on the side. I don't wear any thing that has much of a flair shape.
The question is, is there a preferance among other skirt wearers or is it strictly my preferance in what I like to wear for a particular time and place ?
Thanks,
Bareman
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Re: skirt slits

Post by cessna152towser »

I have a couple of Midas long jeans skirts which have side slits on both sides. The hemline of the skirts just about touches the top of my knee socks and the slits are about four inches deep so that they expose the outsides of the knees. I have found these work very well on me, many people have complemented me on the style and invariably they call them kilts rather than skirts. I trialled a skirt with a deep vent at the front, around my garden but never wore it out in public and I soon sold it on e-bay as I felt that deep slits at the front or back just did not work for me. Personally I feel that side slits work OK on a male, but back or front slits have the potential to reveal too much, though it is each to their individual choice.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I favor straight skirts in lengths of just above the knee to mid calf, nearly all of mine have a 4 to 8 inch slit in the rear for ease of walking. Only 2 skirts I have that are 25" long have no slit cause the shorter length allows full movement with a shorter straight skirt. I have 3 ankle length skirts all peasant style, but these are all full or circle style. Fine in the summer but a bit chilly in the winter when breezes get inside. My favorite skirts, of which I have at least 20, are all straight and 28" long with 4 inch slits in the rear. I have 8 in various denim types, chambray, stone washed and dark blue. The rest of the 20 are same style but various colors of cotton twill. I just ordered 6 new skirts for Cristmas for myself that are "scrubs skirts" 25" in length and A-line style, 100% cotton and light weight,2 in grape,1 royal blue,1 tangerine and 2 in khaki. I hope this helped you. :welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I haven't had many skirts with slits on them, since I don't like straight skirts that much. More of an A-line or pleated kinda guy. I also limit the length range to mid-thigh to mid-knee. The skirts I owned that had slits, usually would show the lower thigh at the maximum...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have one or two with slits, only 4 inches or less and at the rear. When shopping on Ebay I only buy any skirt if they say that there is no slit as I don't like slits.
I can live with a kick pleat, but that's about as far as I will go.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

This is a profile view of the Midas jeans skirt which I have been wearing all day today, which shows one of the two five inch deep side vents.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I'm not in favour of long slits; that is any slits over 6 to 8 inches. I have one ankle length denim skirt with a front slit right to the knee, however that can, and will, be rectified as the slit can be sewn shorter. I have been seeking out a heavyweight moleskin skirt on our local eBay which has a back slit that has 3 press studs so that the wearer can have it open almost to knee length, or at 6 inch length.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

a back slit that has 3 press studs so that the wearer can have it open almost to knee length, or at 6 inch length.
That's a good idea, specially for a long slit in the rear. Depending on the time and place you could have a knee high slit or no slit at all. With a straight ankle length skirt that would be a real plus. In the house where you're not moving around much you could have it closed completely and open to the knee when your active. Or a zipper from the hem to wherever up the skirt you wanted the base to be. Zipping in reverse, in other words. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've been following this thread with some interest because the notion of slits has a "dual identity". Firstly, there's the "engineering" point of view where a slit allows motion for the legs where otherwise it'd be restricted, and secondly there's the notion of the "reveal", which, I think, might work on a guy with "good" legs. I'll leave the definition of "good" to the reader.

Certainly, the first notion falls within the scope of common sense and biomechanics; if your legs can't function as designed whilst walking, the wearer of such a garment will be hobbled. This look has been used successfully in the past for certain types of "style before function" skirts but would likely just tick a bloke off.

The second is more individual; I've seen skirts with long slits in them that follow the leg (the best ones I've seen have the slit running up the front quarter of the leg) and can be very dramatic, not to mention quite attractive. I think that an "off-center" (e.g. "on the quarter") slit might work for a subset of guys.
Since1982 wrote:[...] a zipper from the hem to wherever up the skirt you wanted the base to be. Zipping in reverse, in other words.
Skirts such as this are available, and I've seen ones that can zip both ways -- they can go either from the waist down or the hem up. Such a design might be well suited for guys. The ones I've seen place the zip at the front. I don't know how they'd work on "the quarter"; the zip might be unpleasant to have running along the leg.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

I've a few with rear slits. They're purely there to facilitate ease of movement, of course. The only one with a short front slit, found itself rapidly sewn up! And I've one long one with side slits - tried this sewn up, too, but since restored and placed in permanent storage, pending disposal.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have only one skirt with a slit. It's a denim skirt that sits just above the knee and has a front slit about five inches in length. From a walking point of view this is very effective however I can't sit in it without revealing my choice of underwear :shock:

I did consider sewing it up but having tried holding the edges of the slit together (with paperclips!) and taking a couple of steps I have come to the conclusion that it would be too restrictive to walk in. Sometime I'll get around to ebaying it (unless I run out of wardrobe space first, in which case I'll drop it off at the local charity shop).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Let's see. My tight skirts have slits. My cotton dress skirt has a fair amount of slit at the back, if it lacked this it would be very difficult to walk in. My medium length pleather like skirt has a long slit on the left side, which shows a lot of leg when one is seated, My grey mini has a short slit, but it is quite a bit for this short skirt, it tops of just one and one half inch below the leg join. All of these skirts would be near un-wearable if they did not have this feature, that can at times be quite tantalizing for the observer, and wearer. With mine I wear hose, and only sheer to waist with the short grey, and pleather due to the height of the slit.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

I did consider sewing it up but having tried holding the edges of the slit together (with paperclips!) and taking a couple of steps I have come to the conclusion that it would be too restrictive to walk in. Sometime I'll get around to ebaying it (unless I run out of wardrobe space first, in which case I'll drop it off at the local charity shop).
Sew up the front, open a slit in the back, maybe a bit longer than the original. I've done this, werkd fer mi.

Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I have skirts with slits in various positions and as others have said these slits are needed to enable you to move freely. My preference especially with the longer skirts is for a rear slit.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Since1982 wrote:
Sew up the front, open a slit in the back, maybe a bit longer than the original. I've done this, werkd fer mi.
I thought about it Skip, but I'm not a big fan of denim and so came to the conclusion that it was not worth the effort to me. I only bought it for its invisibility and now that I've become more relaxed about wearing my choice of clothing I no longer need that.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce