Sarongs - what pattern?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jock
Distinguished Member

Sarongs - what pattern?

Post by Jock »

It seems that many of us love sarongs. I know I do. But what pattern do you think is appropriate, or conversely, what patterns do you like best? Ditto colours?

As a starter, I have seen that in some Pacific rim countries men wear checks whereas women wear floral patterns.

My assortment of sarongs are plain, check and floral, mostly browns or blues.
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Milfmog

Re: Sarongs - what pattern?

Post by Milfmog »

I have three sarongs as follows:

:arrow: A tan / stone coloured unpatterned Jdez "mock cargo sarong" (really a wrap skirt as it is fastened with velcro but everyone sees it as a sarong).

:arrow: A geometrically patterned blue, purple and black, tube sarong bought new through ebay (Made in Thailand).

:arrow: A traditional wrap style sarong printed in greens, browns and blues with a large lizard design that, when wrapped carefully puts one large lizard horizontally across the front of my legs and another across the back. The two lizards are facing each other. This is my favourite at present because it is rather more fun to look at than the others but since the fabric is rather thin i have to be aware of it appearing transparent with strong light behind it :shock:

As for which is the most appropriate, I guess it is the one that feels most socially comfortable at any given time, but then I'm not big on conforming to societies unwritten rules so you should probably disregard anything I write in that respect :D Having said that, I have never received any negative reactions to any of my sarongs.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Gus

Post by Gus »

I had a plain black one I made myself from silk and painstakingly tied all the tassels by hand. It lasted a few years but finally succumbed to the rigors of the washing machine. It looked good, was incredibly light and cool (and surprising warm as well), and very comfortable - if you've never tried silk before I strongly suggest you do. :D
I also have a cotton Indonesian batik sarong in browns and blues with a school of fish swimming across it. It's one of my favorite and is really fun to wear.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been set up a statue in honor of a critic."
-Jean Sibelius