How many pair of skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
miniskirt07

How many pair of skirt?

Post by miniskirt07 »

I just wonder how many pair of skirts do you have? I have lots of mini skirt and some of knee-length skirt, about 40 pairs of mini skirts and 8 of knee length skirt (most mini skirt I used are between 10"-14" and knee-length is 15"-17") love wearing mini skirt cos it so coooooooooooooooooooooooool also I have denim & cord mini dungaree dress as well it look good one as well. :D
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How many pair of skirt?

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Not sure how you get a PAIR of skirts.???? :woops:
Greg
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich_L

Post by Rich_L »

Lets see I have about 20 skirts and none of them are pairs.
A running skirt from taget
A blue denim ankle along with a tan ankle cord
a ankle circle
A couple of denim knee length
Several thin flowing skirts above knee to floor.
My favorite ones or a denim cargo and a camo cargo both or above knee, the same length I were my shorts.

Also various sarongs (15) almost always get complements in these :wink: .

Rich
crfriend
Master Barista

Pairs of skirts? Say what?

Post by crfriend »

Well, I can't say that I have a single "pair of skirts". I've got pairs of pants (trousers) and still can't figure out why a single garment can be called a "pair" of anything. I can see socks, as those aren't connected, but trousers? (Why isn't that simply "trouser"?)

In any event, I have more skirts than I do trousers -- by a wide margin. I think I have three pairs of trousers, but about eight or nine skirts. Here's the lineup, in no particular order:
  • Three velvet skirts, calf length, one red, one blue, and one black
  • Three tiered skirts, one lower calf two mid, one black (the longer), one "eggplant" and one burgundy (the shorter two)
  • One ankle-length A-line burgundy skirt
  • Two miniskirts, homemade, one white and one burgundy
There are also a number of skirts that are technically my wife's but that she lets me wear; these include the upper-calf length cotton jersey "everyday skirts", the pleated floral and paisley skirts, a green tiered skirt of identical design to my black one, and a really cool little pleated mini that's so short I don't dare wear it in public (although she has).

As one can tell, I like longer skirts. The minis do get some mileage during the summer months, and I have worn them "out and about", but tend to feel rather naked in them. I think my current favourite is the black tiered skirt, but my velvet ones have been getting out and about recently as well and they're very nice.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Oh comon Carl, maybe he's got a problem with English, maybe he just speaks Gaelic or is a recent immigrant from the Netherlands...Maybe all his "skirts" are really katanas or skorts. You're the one always telling me to be receptive of others. LOL I got the idea of maybe he's from some other country by his referring to skirts in the singular ie: "skirt", as in "all my skirt are" whatever....:hide:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Hmm, let's see, here's what I have at present:

---three above the knee denim skirts
---one above the knee, tight fitting black denim skirt
---one knee length denim skirt
---two calf length denim skirts
---one knee length black leather skirt
---one 17 inch stonewashed denim skirt (which I wouldn't caught dead wearing outside)
---two black, calf length fabric skirts (both go great with boots, can't wait for fall)

Nothing spectacular, but enough for me.

:)
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Now really how does a Pair of Skirt compare to a Pair of Pant(s).
A singular item - worn by a singular person (albeit with two legs).
We are not talking a cribbage card game here where something is
paired with another to make points.
'English' -1- common language I am afraid we are going to have some
trouble with.
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

I read somewhere about that oddity in the English language, why do we always say "pants?"

Supposedly, it has to do with the way that garment evolved in parts of Europe. Originally it came from the choice of clothing, sometimes seasonal, that entailed what was effectively hose (in fact, that's what it's called in German to this day), one on each leg, all the way up, fastened to the upper clothing, with maybe a codpiece over the "fly" area. Being used to this in plural form, when "unified" garments showed up, they retained the practice of calling it "pants." In other European countries where the "introduction" to pants came after they were a unified garment, a singular form is used. The Dutch and French use singular, the Italians and English plural. Not sure about others. But the general rule is that any clothing that divides the legs in in plural in English. Trousers, underpants, pants, jeans, slacks, chinos, shorts, bottoms, pyjamas, trunks, boxers, undies. The only exceptions seem to be anything that's exceptionally brief, such as thong, tanga, (bikini) bottom, panty (but it can also be in plural), loincloth.

Interesting, eh?
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

I have 34 skirts, 15 pair of casual trousers (including shorts, Speedos and swim trunks), and 6 pair of dress slacks.

Chris
Departed Member

Re: Pairs of skirts? Say what?

Post by Departed Member »

crfriend wrote:Well, I can't say that I have a single "pair of skirts". I've got pairs of pants (trousers) and still can't figure out why a single garment can be called a "pair" of anything. I can see socks, as those aren't connected, but trousers? (Why isn't that simply "trouser"?)
As far as I am aware, Carl, going way, way back in time, each leg was 'trousered' individually. As the upper garment was generally a tunic (or some derivative), which was mid thigh to knee length, then contemporary pictures give the 'modern' mind the idea that they were joined (at crotch or waist). The last, historically speaking, items of apparel which followed this pattern were the knickers (or pants, if you prefer) worn by Victorian (upper class) ladies, which were two (i.e., a pair!) mirror-image individual legs with a waist tie (the left leg tying to the right and vv. :!:
tooslowprius
Distinguished Member

Post by tooslowprius »

For the time being I have 4 skirts:

1 Black midcalf suit skirt
1 Just below the knee kaki skirt
1 Just at the knee jean skirt (My Favorite One)
1 Above the knee jean skirt

I plan on adding maybe a cargo skirt of some sort once I can find one I like! :D
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

If you count a couple of tennis skorts and field hockey kilts (garments I don't generally wear 'out and about') then I have about 13 skirts, roughly the same as the combined total of shorts and trousers I own, I'm guessing.
sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

34, ranging from formal tartan kilts through to two A-line and two side vented denim skirts and a box-pleat camo print skirt.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

three above the knee denim skirts
---one above the knee, tight fitting black denim skirt
---one knee length denim skirt
---two calf length denim skirts
---one knee length black leather skirt
---one 17 inch stonewashed denim skirt (which I wouldn't caught dead wearing outside)
---two black, calf length fabric skirts (both go great with boots, can't wait for fall)
I wonder how many trousers wearing men you could find that would give such a complete dissertation on what's in his closet. My guess is.....NONE
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/