Men Wearing Nail Polish

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Brad

Re: Men Wearing Nail Polish

Post by Brad »

I've been wearing clear nail polish on my fingers and toes for some time. The polish strengthens the nail, and I like the smooth glossy look. I've been complimented by women who noticed.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

My toe nails, and sometimes finger nails (the latter very rare), get coated with this wonderful metallic black. I love how my toes look when painted this color.

My female roommate like to see it to.

When I get the chance I really like alternating black and white finger nails, or all black.

Nothing prissy about it at all. Hell, when I worked on planes my nails were black with oil and grime anyway. The fingernail paint just hid the stains nicely;)
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
relawyer

Post by relawyer »

I am 61 years old, married to the same woman for 39 years and have been polishing my nails (toes in color and hands in clear pink) for so many years I forget how many. I have always felt that women had the right to show any side of their personality without scorn but guys were stuck in the chasm of boring. I get significant compliments, mostly from women, and wierd looks but rarely any comments from guys. Clothing and nail polish is genderless. Who we are and what we are has nothing to do with what we put on our bodies. I am always happy when I get a pedicure and change the colors. Keep it up guys.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Thanks for that post Counselor!

It is good to hear encouragement from mature professionals such as yourself. It is too often that we on the fringe are also on the fringe in other ways...in other words we are dangerously close to being those men your mother warned you about. (Tongue slightly in cheek here.)

It is good when fellas to chime in who present the picture of mature grey haired upper middle class successful skirt-wearing men.

Chris

(With a lovely bright red sparkly nail polish on my toes)
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

I don't know about you Chris M, but I certainly do not myself on the fringe when it comes to things other than my self expression.

I am a pilot/ mechanic, currently working on obtaining my instructor's certificate.

I don't think pilot, or mechanics are fringe. The really unusual things about me are my Gothic view on life, and the fact I believe clothing discrimination is BS, and I practice those beliefs for the most part openly. Those and the fact I am an avid heavy metal listener;)
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
FloralSkirt

Post by FloralSkirt »

I get pedicures. When I do, 1 of my favorite colors to get is peachy pink. 2 summers ago, I got a french pedicure. That was wild. I wore sandals all summer & everyone could see my feet! LOL :P
Last edited by FloralSkirt on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Found out about pedicures two years ago. I get them on a regular basis and my feet look better and are healthier. I used to have cracking in the winter, but not anymore. I also have my toenails painted, but generally go for a neutral color or clear. I am reluctant to walk around in painted toenails and a skirt at the same time at this point in my young skirting career. This will likely change as I grow up and become more confident in myself and my own self-image.

Pedicures are here to stay for me. I rarely if ever see another guy in the local nail shop, I think if guys knew how good it felt, they would be flocking in. Perhaps if the shops has guy magazines and sold cigars? That might bring them in.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
hops

Post by hops »

Wife paints toenails allways to hide fungus black usually....paints fingers on occasion black ,blue,purple, or white..
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

The wife painted our toenails a matching color a little while back, and I have to admit it is both a fun and creative way to express yourself. Shortly after they were painted, we hosted a "Just Desserts" * party in which I went barefoot. It took one of the teenage girls a while to notice the toenails, which she laughed at. It wasn't a bad laugh, more the "wow, i can't believe you actually painted your toenails - how cool" type of laugh.
toes.jpg
At this moment, my toenails are an alternative black and red color, with glitter no less. For me, it's about making people smile when they see them, and in some way, changing people's perception of me. That I can be fun, a little different, not afraid to something new. Plus I'm still at that stage where I get a thrill out of doing it.

I find that painting toenails is a lot easy than walking around outside in skirt, especially if you are wearing shoes that don't reveal the toes. Fingernails are going to be a little more noticeable and I have only painted them on one occasion. It was for a wedding and trip to the Renfaire, and they were painted black. I removed the polish before I returned to work.

* "Just Desserts Party" - A party in which I decided that everyone should bring dessert and nothing else. Not for those on a diet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be Bold. Be Skirted.
Juan

Post by Juan »

I really loved that pic, nicothoe! How beautiful. I also polish my toe-nails. During the summer, I keep them painted all the time in glossy-white or "French" (trasparent gloss with white painted tops), and sometimes brighter colors. As soon as Spring settles on down here (in a few days) I'll try out just that very same color you're displaying in your photograph (I loved it).

Most responses (if any) are positive and, yes, most compliments come from young ladies. As for my finger-nails, I cannot always exhibit my complete color palette because, as a performer, I have to be consistent with most of our show's dress code (males in a tuxedo). I always keep them polished in tranparent gloss, though. Whenever I'm not performing or when the type of show allows it, I wear bright red or similar intense colors. During the summer months, I make them match my toe-nails.

Paradoxically enough, my wife seldom polishes her nails. I'll try to talk her into us both wearing matching nail-polish the way you do. (I'll probably show her your pic, if you don't mind)

Take care, God bless you all,

Juan
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I happened to find this older thread.

Yes, I do put nail polish on my toes - a dark blue. Other colors I use include various shades of grey.

I have several pairs of sandals - a pair of men's Earth Shoes that I bought in the 1970's (and the most uncomfortable pair to wear - very heavy and dead flat!), a pair of men's black Propet sandals, and 3 pairs of women's sandals - one that's brown with 1.75 inch heels, the second that's brown with 2.75 inch wedge heels, and a third one that's black with 4 inch stiletto heels.
So I'm very much into sandals.

I used to wear nail polish on my finger nails, as much of a perfectionist I am it was taking too much time and effort to keep the finger nails touched up.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Interesting that JohnH has brought this thread back to life. I'm reading it after getting home from my weekly manicure. Like every week, my nails are done in one of Orly's French Manicure colors. Most weeks I've been using a color called Rose Colored Glasses.
Every three weeks I get a pedicure. Always with color. Purples, blues, reds, pinks and one time copper. So many colors to choose from, so little time. :roll:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
A+J

Post by A+J »

I´m always having my toe nails painted especially in the summer when I´m wearing high heel sandals, mostly bright red. Sometimes I have my finger nails painted too.
I use transparant nail polish to my finger nails. It makes my nails stronger and they not get broken that easily since I have them grown a bit long now.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

A+J, tell us a little about yourself. Where do you live, how old are you, whatever.

Most of us seem to be in our 50 s. As for me, I am 52, and I live in New Orleans where I work as a University professor.

Chris
steve66oh

Post by steve66oh »

Skirtlover61 wrote:I have been wearing toenail polish for almost a year and have loved every minute of it. I use the feminine colors, bright red and pink. I went out in toenail polish for the first time last summer because I wanted to try something new. I fell in love with it to start with. I got a lot of compliments from women. At that time I did not know that less than a year later that I would be wearing skirts. Skirts and toenail polish are a great combination. The only regret I have is not doing it years ago.
Ditto...

I am here (SkirtCafe) because I've recently had a tremendous, eye-opening experience wearing nail polish on my toenails. I first wore the polish because I lost a bet on movie trivia, but I discovered that the polish makes my feet look good - enough so that I'm no longer embarrassed to let people see my feet. I'm straight, 44, a divorced father... I work in heavy construction, and the daily stewing in steel-toed boots wreaks havoc on my feet, especially the nails. Color hides the "fugly yellow", which allows me to wear sandals, which exposes my feet to air & sun, which helps keep them healthier. I wear the polish as a man - I'm not a CD, I'm not trying to look like a woman or to be mistaken for one - for me there is nothing about colored polish that is inherently "feminine". I think my feet look good (neither masculine nor feminine, just GOOD) with a dark ruby or olive green polish, and I think that 'defying society's arbitrary rules' is itself an expression of masculinity.

Plus, I suddenly went from being 'Mr. Normal Everyman' in my khakis, shirts & sneakers - indistinguishable from the 'herd', another 'invisible man' - to someone that every woman notices. And, before someone can like you, they must notice you. I've definitely enjoyed the attention! A man told me once - as his wife and her 4 friends took turns putting my color on their toes right on the bar - that "Dude, every woman in the bar is talking about you - you're some kind of effing genius, and if I'm ever single again, I'm painting my toes too!" (but I would bet his wife has already done his feet since then...;)

Anyway, wearing the polish has focused my attention on how society imposes arbitrary and stupid rules for men, and I'm now considering adding kilts and/or skirts to my wardrobe. None of this would have happened if I had won that bet....
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the armies of the north, general of the Felix Legions. Loyal servant to the true Emperor...." (said the man in the skirt..)
http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/wp-con ... diator.jpg