Should I wear a Utilikilt as a 'rep'?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

Just something to bear in mind... there are other kilts out there to be had that are not plaid.

I purchased a nice black skirt from someone in Thailand... through their ebay shop.
This was a couple of years ago and I'm not sure if they are still around.

The price was really good and the skirt, and ankle length 'dress' skirt, really looked formal. It was made for a man's figure... it's not a women's skirt.

They made a variety of skirts for men and I received it in a timely manner.
If I can find the information, I'll pass it on.

To tie into what I just said...

I found a women's black pleated skirt at a thrift store a while back.
It has a few pleats just off-center in the front and it's smooth the rest of the way around.
It's knee-length.. if I remember correctly.
Anyway, to the uninitiated it would look like I was wearing a kilt.. I'm sure.
I suspect most folks would not know what the pleating arrangement should be on a kilt so this one would pass muster if I was worried about it.

Basically, in a roundabout way... I'm suggesting you keep an eye on women's skirts that could be passed off as 'kiltish'.
Perhaps this way you could straddle the boorish 'suit' world and the 'break-the-mold' skirted world?
WSmac
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi WSmac.
I haven't gotten into skirts yet. I have plenty of confidence in my music, but so far this doesn't spill over to skirt wearing. I'd feel a lot more at ease in a kilt. If I appear to be uncomfortable it won't help any. But thanks for drawing my attention to them. A smart black kilt and jacket to most people would be unusual, when they expect to see a suited person. I decided the denim studded cargo pocketed Utilikilt wasn't quite right for a purveyor of light orchestral music. I'm going for business like yet creative look.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mugman wrote: A smart black kilt and jacket to most people would be unusual, when they expect to see a suited person.
21st Century Kilts have brought out a line of "kilt suits" that are just drop-dead great looking. Unfortunately, well out of my price range though. Their web site show them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Yes, they look the business. Way, way beyond my means though. :cry:
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

crfriend wrote:21st Century Kilts have brought out a line of "kilt suits" that are just drop-dead great looking. Unfortunately, well out of my price range though. Their web site show them.
I took a look at them. The price (GBP 620 for the whole suit, in basic wool) is not out of line for what you pay for a "traditional" kilt outfit ($1K)

Yes, it's more expensive than your average polyester kilt, but then a Brooks Brothers suit is a good deal more expensive than a pair of K-mart jeans, too.

I'd consider springing for one, but I wouldn't order one without trying one on, first, and I wouldn't buy one unless I could be there to have them fit me and then check and alter the finished product as necessary. If I find myself in the London area for 6 months, or if they get a branch in NYC, I'll consider it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

AMM wrote:I took a look at [the 21st Century kilt suits]. The price (GBP 620 for the whole suit, in basic wool) is not out of line for what you pay for a "traditional" kilt outfit ($1K)
I'm not saying the price was out of line at all; I was just mentioning that $1,300 (US) is beyond my discretionary budget at the moment. That's really not a bad price for a bespoke garment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I haven't done any gigs in a kilt yet. Most are at formal ( That's Tux or Suit ) events. Then, it's my keyboard or at a 2-3 manual console. Kilts and an organ bench don't get along to well together after a 60-90 minute performance.

( Sticky is putting it mildly :laff: )

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Hi Al,

I'm a jazz musician on the weekends and a pipe organ tech during the day! It's nice to see someone else in the industry who's into kilts/skirts. Haven't worn my kilts lately due to a personal stress situation that started about a year ago. I've lost a bunch of weight and now my Utilikilts won't stay up! :) Gotta get another hole punched in my belt...

--Rick
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Uncle Al wrote:All musicians are a bit qwirky anyway, so
Go for it! :toast:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
I'll definitely agree with you there, Al... it makes Life easy to handle!

--Rick
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I use three holes in my belt. I'm pleased when the third one falls in place, and feel like a slob when sometimes I can't get past the first hole.
Good to hear from another kilt wearing musician though. Pity we can't lay down a real mean 12 bar blues, but I guess Microsoft are working on it.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

musician

Post by JRMILLER »

Mugman,
There are likely several of us out here. I am primarily a keyboardist, but have been working voice for the past decade (another decade and I might get it right).

My wife Toni and I perform in singing groups and the occasional musical in the central Ohio area.

I believe there is a strong correlation between the arts and the willingness to don something different like a kilt and/or skirt. The connection has to do with the desire for self-expression (on stage, on the street) and the courage to get out and actually do it. The street or the stage, it's really all the same. In many ways, the stage is easier -- people "paid" to get in the door and they expect to see a show!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

To Kilted Musician---

I've sent you a PM.

To Mugman---

That would be great! :toast: But I feel that the
distances between us would not work out to well. :(

Once I get a digital recorder ( dream ) I would be able to
send some 'samples' but I'm working on getting the parts
for the rebuild of my console. The digital equivalent to
a 3 manual, 20 rank theatre pipe organ is my current goal.
For now I still play my Conn 653 3 manual theatre organ.
( The basis for my rebuild. ) I have the replacement
manuals, 2 with 2nd touch. This will give me the ability
to play 5 manuals using only 3. Otherwise, I use my
KORG i30 keyboard. ( It makes me sound like I have a
16 piece backing me up! :laff: ) The KORG really has
a sweet blues setting. Nice :!: :D

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

I believe we hide our true selves too much, so that when we have any say in the matter, what's life worth if you're not yourself? In other words, don't be affraid to be yourself, in kilt, skir or whatever, don't represent a constricting image which other people need for themselves, but be yourself in your'own neat attire. It is you which it is all about, not some other person, so look the part, yourself.

That is something we do much too little of, being scared shitless not to please others, but who are the others who dominate us, no whom we willingly follow in their wishings, and by doing so make their wishes come true while destroying our own identity.

Don't be affraid to be yourself some of the time. Sure there are risks, but life is one big risk. It is also about standing up for yourself. By never showing other people who you really are, they will inturn never realise there even is a real you. Sometimes we have to do things of which being yourself is not the most radical, just to prove to ourselves that we are alive. Life is pretty pointless if you are somebody's clone all your life.
That is a science fiction horror movie ( seen it, pods came to earth and out came people who took over the lives of the people when they slept. Those aliens were exact replicas but had no emotions, the one important thing that makes us individuals. very shocking. )"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956) "They're here already! You're next!"
WARNING :shock: :shock: DON't see the film, or you will never want to sleep again!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :? :wink: It is a really great film, if you like the Alfred hitchcock style!!!
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

cheerleader

Post by JRMILLER »

Peter,
This is what I really like about you, you are always the cheerleader! Always reminding us of the core value and what really matters.

While I do absolutely believe and agree with what you say deep in my heart, I still have concerns regarding clients and so forth and don't want to loose them because of what I choose to wear. Little by little I will be in a position where that will no longer be a concern, but not yet today.

Keep cheering us on, it is good to be reminded!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Encouraging words, Peter.
I often reflect upon the limitations that many of the population inflict upon themselves, simply to remain the average nextdoor guy who stays within every boundary of normality and tedium, just so he won't get picked on. And this invisible safety shield extends, for some reason, to those who we don't even know, or are ever likely to bump into twice in a whole lifetime. Yet still the worry is, what do they think of me?
Strangely I don't have any qualms about my naturism, and if that isn't opening wide your very soul, and freedom of living your own life the way you want to, nothing is. I try to understand why I would be happy and uninhibited at being nude on a beach among strangers, yet be nervous about wearing a skirt among the same people. It doesn't make much sense. But maybe the answer is that being nude, we are all, apart from shape, basically the same, and have removed every hint as to our character. It's the ultimate guise of anonimity. So naturism makes it a lot easier to be accepted, at least among other naturists...but this of course is a very limited catchment area.
If I was still in self employed business, I think I would be tempted to chance losing one or two lesser important clients, just to see how they would have reacted at me sitting in at a meeting in a formal skirt. But that wouldn't in itself have been an indicator that could have been applied to others.
I missed a trick when I moved home to a completely new part of the country. Although I began wearing kilts here quite early on, so my new neighbours knew that was part of this 'new on the block' guy's way, I should also have donned a skirt sometimes...but I was only into kilts then.
Also having a seasonal army training barracks not much more than a stone's throw away means that the village expands with an ever changing population of new weekly influx, with groups of jack the lads roaming the streets on their time off. This presence would be very intimidating if I started going out in a skirt. The inevitable wolf whistles would be intolerable. Basically, it's a lot easier not to.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

mugman wrote: I often reflect upon the limitations that many of the population inflict upon themselves, simply to remain the average nextdoor guy who stays within every boundary of normality and tedium, just so he won't get picked on. And this invisible safety shield extends, for some reason, to those who we don't even know, or are ever likely to bump into twice in a whole lifetime.
<snip>
I missed a trick when I moved home to a completely new part of the country. Although I began wearing kilts here quite early on, so my new neighbours knew that was part of this 'new on the block' guy's way, I should also have donned a skirt sometimes...but I was only into kilts then.
Also having a seasonal army training barracks not much more than a stone's throw away means that the village expands with an ever changing population of new weekly influx, with groups of jack the lads roaming the streets on their time off. This presence would be very intimidating if I started going out in a skirt. The inevitable wolf whistles would be intolerable. Basically, it's a lot easier not to.
Many of the 'jack-the-lads' should not give you a problem at all. They
come with more 'open mindness' than you give them credit for. A few
years back, I was wearing my khaki Utilikilt into a Wal-Mart. The only
reaction I received was from a trio of teen-agers. Their statement was
'Cool Kilt-Looks Great'. The rest of the shopping was a non-event.
No other comments. The most recent experience, again at Wal-Mart,
was a gentleman stopped me and asked about my kilt. I was wearing
my SWK 'Night-Stalker'. He and his wife were wanting to get a kilt for
their son to wear at the North Texas Scottish Festival coming up in June.

I gave him the info about SWK's and a few others. Showed Dad how to
measure for a kilt. Dad was very happy and called his wife immediately.

I'ld say you won't have any problems, but this is from my experience.

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)