Criminal Skirting

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Magickman

Criminal Skirting

Post by Magickman »

Seen today on the morning television news:

Jay Herrod, of Clinton, Louisiana, says he has a heat rash condition that requires him to wear a skirt while driving his riding lawn mower. He was shown on a video clip, doing do, sans underwear, and letting it all hang out, so to speak.

The city council down in Clinton has issued a cease and desist order, demanding that Herrod stop riding his lawn mower while wearing the skirt.

I don't know, maybe he could cut the grass at night, using his headlights.
Magickman

Post by Magickman »

If you don't believe me, look at the video:

http://wcco.com/video/?id=40250@wcco.dayport.com
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Hmmm, the usual display of ignorance from the media: laughter and "He's wearing a skirt because he's Scottish". If he'd worn a skirt on each leg (shorts) made of the same material and the same length and still shown all his 'bits', it wouldn't have made such a story.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

The real issue?

Post by JRMILLER »

Guys,
I think the real issue is he is exposing himself, big time. Had he simply worn a skirt with a pair of underwear on, it wouldn't have made the news. The guy amounts to a flasher.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

The guy's a nutcase! What's wrong with a longer item, or something with more weight to it? He's just doing it while riding the mower so he can flash. It's pretty ugly and just links the two ideas in people's minds. Creepy.

Even if a woman had been doing that, people would peg her for what it was -- flashing -- and it would still look like sly opportunism. Ugly stuff -- wouldn't want it in my neighborhood.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I think that John nailled this one perfectly.

Every time I hear stories like this, I take the time to step back and think, "What's wrong with this picture"?. In this case, we've got at least three: (1) Louisiana (USA) is not exactly the most forward-looking spot on the planet. I mean no disrespect by that, but having been there, the notion does stick in one's craw; (2) he's wearing a skirt, like oh-my-gawd it's going to bring the world down, and (3) the bloke doesn't have the sense to know what he's doing, or is doing it deliberately.

Like John, I come squarely down on #3 above -- either this clown was so completely clueless that it boggles the imagination or he was simply a flasher (and I'm not talking blinking lights). Number two quite naturally comes into play, especially coupled with nr. 1, but those were just, I suspect, in this case, "amplifiers".

I recall from a few years ago a daily radio (remember that?) news feature entitled, "Boneheads in the News" which would catalogute the various escapades of hoodlums who were, to put it bluntly, too stupid to survive on the streets. The above case falls into that category. The sad part is that a decent chunk of the populace can't (or won't) differentiate the earnest "bloke in a skirt" from idiots. :wall:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

This is just stupid. But he could also have been a Nudist, who also mow their lawns. :oops:

The whole idea of clothing is to protect your body or make sure that certain parts are covered up. That was not the case here, and was certainly not his intention. Just dumb.

Unfortunately people may in their dumbness make a link with men wearing skirts and this unfortunate flashing incident.

Something like every man who wears a long trench coat in bad weather, may be thought to be a flasher. :shock: :? Even though the long coat is made for and mostly bought for bad weather protection. A handful of flashers have given hundreds of thousands of coat wearers a bad name, or at least made every one a suspected / possible flasher, or into gunmen with riot guns under their coats, as in some films was to be seen. :shock: :shock: Bad image.

Let us hope that these incidents don't have the same effect on skirt wearing. Or we may be seeing an all out ban on men wearing skirts in some states. :shock: :shock: :? :roll:

I imagine it will not go bejond this individual, but it is very unfortunate that it was on the news.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

The freak should have used his brain and had on longer skirt.
This maybe just some idea of making people think less of guys in skirts.
Folks in the South here are a bit hard pressed for thinking other then what they learned, and if skirting men became some issue in this guys circle - the Redneck answer would to make them look foolish to the public.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Louisiana

Post by ChrisM »

I wear a skirt here in Louisiana and nobody cares.

But then again, maybe New Orleans isn't really Louisiana. And I'm DEFINITELY not flashing anything.

Bottom line: It's him, not the State.

Chris