Beach start

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Beach start

Post by mugman »

OK, it's still only February, but I have at least some of my year ahead planned. I aim to start my skirt wearing in the most leisurely looking way I can think - at the local beach.
Although I'm eager to go public in a skirt, my self confidence gets in the way. The beach seems like a place where almost anything goes in the name of easygoingness. For swimming at 'textile' beaches, I usually wear, much as I suspect to some people's horror, Speedos. It seems reasonable enough to slip over them a knee length skirt instead of shorts after I've dried down a bit.
If I feel comfortable with that, I'll maybe then take it further, but still in the leisure vein...perhaps hiking in a skirt instead of a kilt.
But the final stage: going into town in a skirt, will most likely be around 2015.
Heavens! I shall be getting on for 70. :roll:
matman

Post by matman »

I'm totally with you. Speedo's are the most comfortable swimwear God invented. Skirt cover-up goes real easy with it. Good luck with your ventures.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

I concur

Post by ChrisM »

I well understand your concerns and I concur with your general plan.

Regarding beach skirts, permit me to suggest a sarong, and / or an elastic-waisted skirt that looks like a sarong.

This is by definition 'beach wear' and elicits little (but not zero) response.

Chris M
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

matman wrote:I'm totally with you. Speedo's are the most comfortable swimwear God invented.
As far as I'm aware, God only created one style of swimwear and it was somewhat less modest than Speedos :oops:

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I agree that a sarong is brilliant beachwear and any man can wear one without so much as a second glance.

As for swimming, I do wear a pair of Speedos, but as a foundation garment under a pair of shorts. I like to have the convenience of pockets you get with shorts with the security of something underneath.

Stu
Jock
Distinguished Member

Re: Beach start

Post by Jock »

mugman wrote:I aim to start my skirt wearing in the most leisurely looking way I can think - at the local beach.
But the final stage: going into town in a skirt, will most likely be around 2015.
No question about it - the sarong is THE beach skirt for men, but the beach is a tolerant place so many a skirt would pass. You might then try a beachfront cafe and as your confidence grows, farther afield.

Don't wait too long to go into town- a quarter past 8 in the evening and the day is almost gone ;)

I do hope that your skirt wearing progresses. After a while it will become natural, as many here will agree.

Good luck!
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Beach is a perfect place for skirt wearing. I have a lightweight leisure kilt from Midas Clothing which has only seven inch overlap of the aprons at front and is just 21" drop from waist. A wee bit immodest for walking about town, but I've felt very much at ease wearing it for walking on local beaches in south-west Scotland. Just be sure to wear a decent pair of bikini style briefs under (or maybe speedos) to prevent any accidental exposure if you get a gust of wind when you are close to people.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

gender bending

Post by JRMILLER »

SkirtDude,
If not a skirt, then in what way were you GBending?
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

The beaches in this part of the world are attended by folk who tend to keep themselves to themselves. I won't say there's never any rowdiness, or loutish behaviour, but it must be very rare as I've never encountered any. Also the beaches are very extensive - not just small coves, though we have those as well. So no-one is treading on anyone else's toes in the crammed situations you find on the south coast for instance, where every man and his brother is fighting for space.
Most younger visitors (possibly all of them) are here to surf - it's their life it seems - and they are not generally trouble makers.
SkirtDude

Re: gender bending

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

I have to agree with Milfmog. Everything,... but maybe the latest Olympic wear just slows you down. Don't have the money to try that, but already own a natural suit.

TomH
Boatman398

Post by Boatman398 »

I live in Florida and have been walking the beach in skirts for over 8 years now. Never had a problem with any one of any age. I have had several people ask about the skirt but usually after they have got to know me . And yes speedos are the best if you have to wear anything at all while swimming.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I think the beach is the kind of relaxed environment where, with the mix of sand and water getting everywhere, a certain amount of 'make do' clothing is used that isn't too fussy. You can't get less fussy than a pair of speedos (unless the pattern on them is ultra-zany...I have one or two which make your eyes hurt :shock: ).
The simplicity of slipping into a skirt after a swim replaces the cumbersome changing-under-a-towel fiasco. Put the skirt on, slip the speedos off, a quick towelling under the skirt to dry off, and finally slip on your underpants.
To go for another swim, off with the nickers, on with the speedos (which have been warming nicely in the sun), and off with the skirt.
I don't know why towelling skirts aren't more in evidence for men - apart from the crazy tartan 'kilt' one with a printed sporran.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Mugman

Post by Since1982 »

mugman wrote:The simplicity of slipping into a skirt after a swim replaces the cumbersome changing-under-a-towel fiasco. Put the skirt on, slip the speedos off, a quick towelling under the skirt to dry off, and finally slip on your underpants.
I have several straight skirts made of toweling material. I just put one on over my trunks when I come out of the water, slip a T-shirt on the top, leave it on until I dry and then either remove it or switch it for another skirted coverup with either Zori's or some other beach sandals. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/